Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 PM

110 posts, read 491,356 times

Advertisements

I am planning on taking a trip to the major Upstate cities of Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany. I am also planning on visiting the Adirondack Mountains.

Do you think it is worth it to take this trip? Would I have a good time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM

99 posts, read 288,741 times
Not sure what you consider a good time. More specificity would be helpful.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Default I think so......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
I am planning on taking a trip to the major Upstate cities of Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany. I am also planning on visiting the Adirondack Mountains.

but like Bayrat said, it depends on what you want to do. I think you should check out the Finger Lakes region too. A lot of history, nice vineyards, nice people and beautiful scenery. Here's some info. on the region located between Rochester and Syracuse:NY Tourism & Travel- Finger Lakes wineries vacations packages events real estate and fall specials

New York Tourism -VisitFingerLakes- FingerLakes NY - Official info for Ontario County Accommodations, Dining, Events, Lodging, Wineries, Recreation

Finger Lakes Wine Country

Welcome to the Finger Lakes! (http://www.interlakes.com/flp/flpld.html - broken link)

Finger Lakes - A Guide to the Finger Lakes Region of New York State.

New York State Parks :: Finger Lakes Region

Finger Lakes Region, Finger Lakes Vacation rentalsNew York Visitors Guide

Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM

I want to tour the urban parts of the cities particularly the downtown and close-in vibrant neighborhoods.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I want to tour the urban parts of the cities particularly the downtown and close-in vibrant neighborhoods.
Well, there are things downtown in each of those cities. Another city you might want to check out is Ithaca. They have a very pedestrian friendly downtown, especially in the Commons area of downtown Ithaca. Very cosmopolitan city for it's size(about 32,000 people). Corning is another city with a nice little downtown in a city of 10,000 on Market Street. Binghamton has an up and coming downtown and has one of the best housing markets in the country, along with being one of the safest metros in the US.

As for Syracuse, I would check out the Westcott neighborhood, which is right next to Syracuse University and the University area. Very eclectic and diverse neighborhood with a nice business area East of downtown. There's our new Little Italy neighborhood that has some nice businesses, but is still in progress along North Salina Street. Then, there is an effort to revive the Near Westside neighborhoods in conjunction with Syracuse University, by trying to get artists to move to the area due to it's proximity to downtown and specifically the Armory Square district. There are lofts in Hanover Square and the Amos Building downtown too. You also might like the Tipperary Hill section on the city's Westside. Eastwood has seen better days, but still is a good area that has a business district along James Street in the Northeastern corner of the city. Here's some information for you:Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse NY Tourist Guide (http://syrahoo.com/tour/ - broken link)

City of Syracuse

Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce: Chamber Information

Greater University HillÂ*  Syracuse, New York

Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 PM

3,515 posts, read 9,432,978 times
Quote:

It's only worth it if you plan to visit May-October.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 PM

357 posts, read 968,814 times
I would say it's worth it to see these urban areas if you like older classic architecture and cities that have a lot of history and character.

I wouldn't agree with the May-October because there are things to do and sights to see in all of these city's year round. It just depends on the kinds of things you want to see and how you want to see them that would determine the season you came.

For example, if you are thinking of coming soon or during the winter months you can go to the outdoor downtown ice skating rink and downtown is BEAUTIFUL all lit up for the holiday's. There is also winterfest with tons of activities. The St Paddy's day Parade and activities are huge in Syracuse due to the large Irish influence in the city. Just remember, the entire region of upstate NY gets a lot of snow and is usually overcast in the winter. However, Syracuse is AMAZING when it comes to how it handles and removes snow.

But just go to the following websites to see what kinds of activities are being offered in Syracuse during the month you choose to visit. The different activities in the city are a good way to see a city and it's people. I am sure the other cities have similiar websites.

Downtown Syracuse Has lots of Pics of Urban Syracuse year round and lists activites

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY (http://www.armorysq.org/index.htm - broken link) Great area of Downtown Syracuse

Syracuse Winterfest WinterFest

Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM

I will probably be in Upstate in late Spring or early Summer.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Does Syracuse have a good quality of life?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Does Syracuse have a good quality of life?
Yes, it generally does. Here is some info on the area:City of Syracuse

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse University

Syracuse Hancock International Airport

Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce: Chamber Information

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Syracuse Stage - The Professional Theatre of Central New York

SUNY Upstate Medical University

New York State Blues Festival / Syracuse, NY

Dinosaur BBQ - Genuine Barbeque Sauce, Hot Sauce, and Marinades

SUNY-ESF, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

Rosamond Gifford Zoo

armorysquare.com Armory Square Syracuse New York

Welcome to the Everson Museum of Art

100 best places to live and launch - 59. Syracuse, N.Y. (59) - FORTUNE Small Business

Syracuse, N.Y. - BusinessWeek

Syracuse Children's Theater

Onondaga County Public Library, Serving the Greater Syracuse, New York Area

The Great New York State Fair :: August 27 - September 7, 2009 :: Syracuse, NY

Radio Stations in Syracuse NY

Syracuse Film Festival 2008

Redhouse Arts Center Online

Things to do in Syracuse and Central New York

Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - LATEST ARTICLES

Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Clinton Square, Armory Square and Downtown Syracuse NY

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County School Districts (http://www.ongov.net/About/schools/ - broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Onondaga (broken link)

Central New York Jobs

and much more......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area