Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM

3,639 posts, read 9,510,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
Does Syracuse have a good quality of life?
In my opinion, most suburbs around Syracuse have a very good quality of life. Only are a few neighborhoods in the city are worth living in for the average middle class family.

Overall, I'd say the Syracuse area has good quality of life, but it is much better in the suburbs compared to the city IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:26 PM

110 posts, read 493,131 times
Thanks for the comments guys.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,603,151 times
It's hard to say unless you define "good quality of life"... For example, the average commute time in Syracuse is a mere 20 minutes. So if you define quality of life as not being stuck in your car for hours each morning and afternoon, yes, Syracuse has a good quality of life.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 AM

What part of Syracuse has the least amount of crime and is the most vibrant?

Old 12-06-2008, 01:42 PM

357 posts, read 973,665 times
Quote:
Are you asking this question about the city of Syracuse or about the burb's?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,789,612 times
Quote:
I'm going to interpret "least amount of crime", here, as how likely it would be to be assaulted if you walked down the street at night.

For "vibrancy"- I'll define that as active, multi-cultural, and interested in the arts and education... or any combination of the above.

In the city itself, I'd say the Westcott/East Side south of East Genesee St. areas... near Syracuse University. Or, Eastwood... but the very, VERY easternmost side of Eastwood. LOL. I would say this area is both the safest AND the most vibrant. Westcott is a very active, multi-cultural community.

For suburbs? I would feel the least safe in Nedrow, Mattydale and some very particular streets/blocks in East Syracuse. Besides that, I wouldn't worry about walking around at night. As far as vibrancy in the suburbs? I'd say any of the southeastern suburbs- Dewitt, Jamesville, Pompey, Fayetteville, Manlius... Skaneatles is to the southwest and should certainly be included. Perhaps Camillus and parts of Liverpool.

Though, as with just about any community, new residents should plan to be proactive if they wish to become a part of a certain "scene."

Old 12-06-2008, 05:11 PM

^ As always, I appreciate the information.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 PM

94,876 posts, read 126,332,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm going to interpret "least amount of crime", here, as how likely it would be to be assaulted if you walked down the street at night.

For "vibrancy"- I'll define that as active, multi-cultural, and interested in the arts and education... or any combination of the above.

In the city itself, I'd say the Westcott/East Side south of East Genesee St. areas... near Syracuse University. Or, Eastwood... but the very, VERY easternmost side of Eastwood. LOL. I would say this area is both the safest AND the most vibrant. Westcott is a very active, multi-cultural community.

For suburbs? I would feel the least safe in Nedrow, Mattydale and some very particular streets/blocks in East Syracuse. Besides that, I wouldn't worry about walking around at night. As far as vibrancy in the suburbs? I'd say any of the southeastern suburbs- Dewitt, Jamesville, Pompey, Fayetteville, Manlius... Skaneatles is to the southwest and should certainly be included. Perhaps Camillus and parts of Liverpool.

Though, as with just about any community, new residents should plan to be proactive if they wish to become a part of a certain "scene."
Even in Nedrow, Mattydale and East Syracuse, the crime is very minimal by any standards. I live in one of those communities and I haven't had any issues in terms of crime yet. Those suburbs are more workuing class too. So, many people have a perception of what they are like without living in or regularly interacting in those communities too. My wife is from the east Syracuse area. So, I know what it is like there as well. They have a curfew in the village of East Syracuse. So, they try to keep things in check.

As for the city neighborhood, I would go with the Westcott/University neighborhood too. Eastwood is better south of James Street to Burnet Avenue, but there are still some nice neighborhoods north of James, especially east of Midler. Another neighborhood to consider is the Tipperary hill section of the Westside of the city. Very Irish American neighborhood with pubs and bars, that is still pretty safe as well. Keep in mind about Syracuse is that it is a city of about 140,000 that averages about 15 homicides a year since 1985. Keep in mind that the rate gets skewed due to population loss too. Then, when you factor in that the overwehlming majority of the crime here is between people that know each other, it's not really that bad of a city as long as you aren't living a a certain type of lifestyle.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,714 times
i live in ithaca check it out -5/50 krook

Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM

94,876 posts, read 126,332,058 times
Default Yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/50kr%k View Post
i live in ithaca check it out -5/50 krook
I put wheeling on to ithaca too. I think he or she like it a lot. One of my favorite cities in the state. Saratoga springs is another one that he might like, but I can't say personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area