Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,431,698 times

Advertisements

The Syracuse area has three different regional grocery store chains and three national/international grocery stores chains including Super Wal-Mart.

There are a few mom and pop grocery stores in the Syracuse area too. Since it is hard to name them all, I'll leave it to someone else to speak about them.

Regional grocery stores
Wegmans
Price Chopper
P&C Foods

National grocery stores
Aldi
Save A Lot
Super Wal-Mart

Ranked by number of grocery stores in the Syracuse area
9 ~ Wegmans
9 ~ P&C Foods
5 ~ Aldi
4 ~ Price Chopper
2 ~ Save A Lot
2 ~ Super Wal-Mart

Location of grocery stores by Town

Clay
Wegmans - 3
P&C Foods - 2
Aldi - 2
Price Chopper - 1

Cicero
Wegmans - 1
Price Chopper - 1
Aldi - 1
Super Wal-Mart - 1

Camillus/Geddes
P&C Foods - 2
Wegmans - 1
Price Chopper - 1
Aldi - 1
Super Wal-Mart - 1

DeWitt/Erie Blvd
Wegmans - 2
P&C Foods - 1
Price Chopper - 1
Aldi - 1

Syracuse City
Save A Lot - 2
P&C Foods - 1
Wegmans - 1

Manlius
P&C Foods - 2

Van Buren
P&C Foods - 1

Salina
Aldi - 1

Lysander
none

Onondaga
none

Wegmans is considered by many as the best grocery store in the country. And the Syracuse area is home to the largest Wegmans in square footage....the DeWitt Wegmans. Executives representing other grocery stores (like Safeway- someone from California visited in the 90s) have even visited the DeWitt Wegmans to take notes and find ways to improve their own grocery store chain.

P&C Foods is based in Syracuse and has been losing market share to Wegmans (based in Rochester) and Price Chopper (based in the Albany area).

Even with all these fine grocery stores like Wegmans, many Syracuse area residents are trying to lure a Trader Joe’s to the area. I'm not sure what the draw of Trader Joe’s really is, since I've never been to one.... though I'm sure Trader Joe’s must be great since even Wegmans doesn't satisfy locals any longer.

Just so you know, I didn't include the outlying towns in this post. Only the city and suburbs. Central Square is almost a suburb, but not quite there yet. More infill needs to happen between Cicero and Central Square before it becomes a true burb. Central Square does have a Super Wal-Mart serving southern Oswego County though.

Tully really wants a grocery store, but I just don't see it happening for the next 20 years. Why? The population down there is too small. Only about 3,000 people live in the Tully area and another 10,000 in the rest of the rural south towns. Now if Tully started a growth spurt building 300+ homes every year for the next ten years, then Tully would have a shot at landing a grocery store. The Syracuse area would really need to boom for that much growth to occur in Tully, so chances are slim to none in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,520 times
Trader Joe's is really not a full service supermarket. You could fit 20 or so Trader Joe's into the Dewitt Wegmans, and still have room left over for a Price Chopper or two! That said, as great as Wegmans is it still does not have the same items as TJ's. Trader Joe's is heavy on crunchy heath type snacks, specialty frozen foods, coffees and gourmet specialty items, at very reasonable prices. When friends from downstate visit, they always ask what they can pick up from TJ's, and we always have a list.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,431,698 times
boomvang, thanks for the explanation! Trader Joe's sounds like an interesting place. Hopefully sooner rather than later they open a store in the Syracuse market.

I've yet to see the inside of the DeWitt Wegmans. Maybe I'll take a peak inside this summer on my way to Cazenovia.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:31 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,520 times
It's worth the trip! We have been taking "jaded" downstate NYers to that store and they are all blown away without exception . I am not surprised Wegmans places so high (#3) on the Fortune best places to work list, it shows in the attention to detail and pride shown by the employees. I never would have thought I would have gotten excited over a supermarket, but there you are.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Tully really wants a grocery store, but I just don't see it happening for the next 20 years. Why? The population down there is too small. Only about 3,000 people live in the Tully area and another 10,000 in the rest of the rural south towns. Now if Tully started a growth spurt building 300+ homes every year for the next ten years, then Tully would have a shot at landing a grocery store. The Syracuse area would really need to boom for that much growth to occur in Tully, so chances are slim to none in the near future.
That's interesting that there are no Aldi stores in Tully, as that is where their NY distribution center is. One would think that a retailer would have a 'home store' close to their major area headquarters. Of course, if I wanted to argue with myself, I could note that Wegmans recently closed the store that's less than a mile from Wegmans HQ in Chili NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area