Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 66,283 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Syracuse from the Andersonville district of Chicago this summer, and am considering where I should live. For the most part, my only concern is that I want to be in walking distance (within about a mile) of great grocery stores where I can find top-quality produce, fresh fish and meat, good olive oil, cheeses, and spices.

My partner and I don't watch television and rarely go out. Spending an evening making dinner together and enjoying a nice bottle of wine, perhaps with a few friends, is our idea of entertainment. Not concerned about crime, schools, nightlife, shopping, parking, traffic, drunk undergraduates, etcetera. Thanks in advanced for your help.

Last edited by stargazypie; 04-16-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
I say that you could go with actually a bunch of different options that could be walkable or involve public transportation. To be honest, a good fit may be the village of Liverpool which has Nichols Grocery Store and a Liquor Store next to it. Onondaga Lake Park is right there and there are a few restaurants you can walk to as well. If you want to or can, there is a Wegmans right down Taft Road, if you want more variety in terms of grocery shopping.

I actually was looking at a video about the Andersonville neighborhood recently. While it doesn't have the Swedish cultural vibe, Eastwood and Westcott may be as close as it gets in Syracuse. Eastwood is a mix economically and it is a walkable area of the city that has been improving its business district. You could walk to a Tops in Shop City Plaza or take a bus to the Wegmans across Thompson Road in East Syracuse. Westcott is walkable, more diverse in more ways and is somewhat quirky. If you are in the far southern portion of the street/neighborhood, you can possibly walk to the Tops on Nottingham Road. Westcott is near Syracuse University as well.

Hawley-Green is a gritty neighborhood just northeast of Downtown that has seen fluctuated gentrification aided by some in the local LGBT community. It does have a small grocery store in Dominick's, which is known for having good meats. It is a diverse neighborhood as well and is pretty close to Syracuse University as well.

If you don't mind villages, Manlius and Fayetteville, among others, could also work. There are other suburban/urban areas that could work, but it will depend on other factors. I'll try to add some information later.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,764,089 times
The Dewitt Wegman's is that store, with Liquor City beside it.

But that really cuts down where you can live... unless you're willing to drive a few miles. Try looking at zip codes 13214, 13224, 13104 and 13066. Were you planning to rent at first or buy?

(The rest of you can argue that the same stuff is available in any other Wegmans or Price Chopper or Tops but I won't change my mind. The Dewitt Wegman's is the only place where you don't notice a going-soft veggie/fruit smell in the produce section. I don't know what they do differently but the lack of that smell is, far and away, why I'm more likely to *want* to produce there, even if it does cost more than elsewhere. It's actually fresh.)

Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,533,672 times
I think the Regional Market would be your best bet for shopping, but there aren't any good areas within walking distance of it. CNY Regional Market - regional market, syracuse regional market, farmers market syracuse, regional market syracuse ny, cny regional market, syracuse flea market

If walking distance is really what you want, I'd agree with CKH on Village of Liverpool. Nichols grocery store and liquor store are within walking distance from anywhere within the Village, although the grocery selections aren't as great as Wegmans. They typically have everything you want, but maybe only a few brands of things as opposed to 10 or more at Wegmans. It's a straight shot to the Regional Market, so you could easily take a bus down that way (the RM is adjacent to the Regional Transportation Center).

Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,134 times
The best wine shop in town is probably not particularly convenient to your other particulars - Vinomania, on Pearl Street near downtown. Within walking distance of that is pretty much some downtown housing areas or the area around St. Joseph's hospital (the Prospect Hill area) which is (slowly) gentrifying a bit but still fairly rough.

Within that area there's not much for full service groceries - there's a Save-a-Lot on Butternut near Lodi, though from the sounds of what you're looking for in a grocery, Lombardi's Italian Imports next door to that (corner of Lodi) may be a gold mine for you (at least from the deli, cheese, and olive oils end - they carry a very limited amount of produce). Your comfort level may vary - parts of that area can be dicey for walking, though it's getting a lot better. A bit further from there are two Tops stores - probably a stretch to put all three in walking distance of anywhere worth living - on First North Street at Pond and in Shop City as ckh mentioned. Otherwise the Prospect Hill/downtown area isn't really served by any full service supermarkets, mostly smaller ones.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
The best wine shop in town is probably not particularly convenient to your other particulars - Vinomania, on Pearl Street near downtown. Within walking distance of that is pretty much some downtown housing areas or the area around St. Joseph's hospital (the Prospect Hill area) which is (slowly) gentrifying a bit but still fairly rough.

Within that area there's not much for full service groceries - there's a Save-a-Lot on Butternut near Lodi, though from the sounds of what you're looking for in a grocery, Lombardi's Italian Imports next door to that (corner of Lodi) may be a gold mine for you (at least from the deli, cheese, and olive oils end - they carry a very limited amount of produce). Your comfort level may vary - parts of that area can be dicey for walking, though it's getting a lot better. A bit further from there are two Tops stores - probably a stretch to put all three in walking distance of anywhere worth living - on First North Street at Pond and in Shop City as ckh mentioned. Otherwise the Prospect Hill/downtown area isn't really served by any full service supermarkets, mostly smaller ones.
I thought about that area too. There's also Thanos Import Market and Columbus Bakery close by in that part of the North Side. Plenty of smaller Asian and other ethnic markets too. Besides that, acknight is spot on.

Another area I thought about is the area where Tipp Hill, the West End, Westvale and Solvay meet. That would put them close to Westvale Plaza, which also has a Tops and a Fish Market/store, as well as a Liquor store across Charles Street. Solvay also has low electric/energy costs due to having its own power company. There's also a cleaners, Planet Fitness, some restaurants and it is on a bus line. You could go further west into Fairmount, which has big box shopping as well or go east down West Genesee Street into Downtown. Fairmount also has a big Wegmans for major grocery shopping as well. There is another Wegmans not too far from that area as well on Onondaga Boulevard and a Price Chopper across the street in Western Lights Plaza.

Here is some information on some of the areas mentioned in the thread: Eastwood Neighborhood Association
Walkable Eastwood
Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Village of East Syracuse

Welcome to the District of Hawley-Green!
Hawley-Green Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Home » NEHDA :: Northeast Hawley Development Association
Northside News

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Southeast University Neighborhood Association

Village of Liverpool - New York
Liverpool Chamber of Commerce - Serving Town of Salina, Clay and more. > Home
Onondaga Lake Park » Onondaga County Parks
Nichols Supermarket of Liverpool, NY
Nichols Supermarket of Liverpool, NY

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Official Village of Solvay Website

Some more information: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Wegmans

Tops Friendly Markets - Your Neighborhood Store With More

Home | Price Chopper

Syracuse Real Food Co-op

https://plus.google.com/103376257477...ut?gl=us&hl=en

https://plus.google.com/113525388075...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Columbus Baking Company

VinoMan

https://plus.google.com/100497098914...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Also, here is the video of the neighborhood in Chicago the OP is coming from:
Welcome to Andersonville, A Neighborhood in Chicago - YouTube

Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,619,305 times
You will not find everything you are looking for in a single neighborhood here and Syracuse is not as walkable as you are used to.

For a walkable neighborhood, you would probably like Armory Square. There are a few specialty stores and a farmers market in the summer. but nothing year round.

For a gayborhood, Hawley Green.

For the stores, you can try Route 11 in North Syracuse or along Erie Blvd, North of 690.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM

While it isn't in the immediate area, but in the region, a city that may ironically fit in terms of most things is Auburn. It has the Wegmans in the middle of Downtown Auburn and there are all kinds for stores, shops, a couple of museums, a YMCA, a men's clothing store(the Liberty Store), restaurants and more along and near Genesee Street. Welcome to Auburn Downtown

I guess if they can find a rental home in the Dewittshire/Orvilton area of DeWitt(around East Genesee Street/Jamesville Road), that may work, but walking to the Wegmans may be a pain. Taking a bus may be the way to go.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM

17 posts, read 66,283 times
Thank you so much, ckhthankgod! So many wonderful resources. I'm going to miss Andersonville very much (I've been here for seven years), but I'm excited about the change of pace in SYR. Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,764,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess if they can find a rental home in the Dewittshire/Orvilton area of DeWitt(around East Genesee Street/Jamesville Road), that may work, but walking to the Wegmans may be a pain. Taking a bus may be the way to go.
No. The bus system has changed and is riDICulous. Walking would be faster and isn't bad at all, especially now that they've put in good sidewalks and crosswalks for pedestrians... probably because it's faster to walk from the Shoppingtown transfer to Wegman's than wait for the next bus to it.

It's an easy walk of about a mile and change, each way, and carrying a load of groceries would be easily remedied by a cart. Good exercise but certainly not a pain if you like to go for walks anyway.

A tip: Living on or close to East Genesee St, west of Erie Blvd., will drastically increase the ease with which you can use the Centro bus system. Several lines pass there and Shoppingtown's transfer is close as well, so it would be much, MUCH easier to rely on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area