Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deno088 View Post
These chains have tried the Syracuse market and have left but are still in business in other parts of the country.

Abbott's Frozen Custard
Athlete's Foot
Bennigans
Big Boy Restaurants
Blimpie Subs
Carvel Ice Cream Stores
Great Steak and Potato
Champion
Hardee's
Popeye's Chicken
Long John Silvers
Leachmears
Maaco Collision
Big Lots
Nobody Beats The Wiz
Krispy Kreme
Redwing
Perfumania
Bon Ton
Roy Rogers
Levi's
TCBY
Bob Evans
Hooter's
Aurthur Treatures
7 Eleven
Liz Claiborne
White Castle
Waffle Works
Chi Chi's
Kahunavile
Dairy Queen
Rockport Shoes
Harvey's
Orange Julius
Ponderosa Steakhouse
Harden Furniture
Old Country Buffet

Please add to the list if you know of any more.

Athlete's Foot: still in Syracuse (S. Salina Street, Downtown; they rebranded their store in Carousel as something else)

There is a Dairy Queen/Orange Julius combo at Great Northern Mall (not the real deal, of course, but it's a presence) and one coming to Shoppingtown Mall in Dewitt.

Ponderosa Steakhouse remains in business in Mattydale/North Syracuse.

Kahunaville closed all but it appears four locations nationwide. They had some trouble with underagers in Carousel, not long before they left.

Old Country Buffet closed a lot of their restaurants, including both here. Good riddance, it wasn't very good anyways.

Bennigans departed here before their recent troubles, but they've now shuttered all company ones nationwide, leaving a handful of franchises now.

Arthur Treachers is still here, in Liverpool (cor. Buckley and 7th North)

Roy Rogers in NYS is nearly exclusively as Thruway rest stops (same goes for TCBY; Popeyes the same, which used to have a couple in the area proper).

Big Lots still has two locations, one on 57 in Liverpool and the other in Mattydale.

Carvel still operates at least one store, on East Genesee in Dewitt.

Nobody Beats the Wiz retreated down to the tri-state area a long time ago. Similar to Lechmere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Starbucks is closing three stores in the Syracuse market...1) Carrier Circle (who knows why they put one there in the first place...no one lives near there) 2) Sweetheart Corner in North Syracuse and 3) Route 11 in Cicero.

Why is Starbucks closing both stores that serve the eastern half of the northern suburbs? Stupid, stupid, stupid. That only leaves one Starbucks for all 150,000+ people in the northern suburbs! Plus the Starbucks on Route 57 in Clay is way out of the way for anyone living in the North Syracuse or Cicero area.

Starbucks should have chosen to leave either the Sweetheart Corner or Cicero stores open. That way the traffic from the one store would funnel into the other store. Both those stores are right road down the road from each other. Eliminating both stores is basically giving up on the 70,000+ people who live in the eastern part of the northern suburbs of Syracuse. Well, I guess Tim Horton’s(under construction), Dunkin Donuts, and Macdonald's among others will gain the patrons that Starbucks is losing....
While it doesn't have the drive-thru or as convenient of hours, there is still the one in the Cicero Target store.

The 57 one is still on the path of a large portion of the commuter traffic.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:35 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
There is another Carvel in the North Syracuse area too. We don't have a Harden Furniture store(closest one in Clarence outside of Buffalo), but they sell it at Dunk & Bright. There's a Big Lot's in Mattydale and Liverpool, might be one in the Western Lights Plaza too. Cloest places for:Popeye's-in Irondequoit outside of Rochester; Old Country Buffet-Elmira, Vestal, Rochester, Schenectady, Latham and two in the Buffalo area; Rockports- they are sold at the Macy's at Carousel Center and Shoppingtown Mall in DeWitt; Redwings are sold at 5 locations in the Syrause area too.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
The restaurant scene here is pretty weak. ...It's a pretty sad restaurant scene, unless you like very boring corporate food.
I just came across this thread and thought I'd add my link:

welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

The restaurant scene in CNY is anything but weak!

To keep it on topic, some chains are listed on the site. Hope everyone finds it useful!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Here's the site:welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Carrabba's is my husband's and my favorite place to go out to eat, second only to The Brae Loch Inn in Cazenovia. NEVER had even an ordinary meal there - always phenomenal. (Especially the Brae Loch's roasted duck with apple/walnut chutney. <drooling>) Another favorite is The Mission, next to the County courthouse.

Back when we went out more often, favorites were Angotti's on Burnet Ave., Juanita's on Court Street, and Jamesville Eatery at the intersection in Jamesville, next to the hardware store. <---had the best reubens on earth! lol

Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 AM

161 posts, read 355,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
While it doesn't have the drive-thru or as convenient of hours, there is still the one in the Cicero Target store.

The 57 one is still on the path of a large portion of the commuter traffic.

I find drive-thrus at a Starbucks are miserable. With the time it takes them to make a coffee, you spend more time waiting behind some jerks truck spewing fumes at you than if you just park and go in. I stopped going to the drive thrus for Dunkin Donuts too when I realized that everyone was in the drive in lane and nobody in the parking lot. Went in, got my food & coffee, and went back to my car without a single car in the drive-through having moved.

On the other hand, when you walk in you can't be in your pajamas.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
I find drive-thrus at a Starbucks are miserable. With the time it takes them to make a coffee, you spend more time waiting behind some jerks truck spewing fumes at you than if you just park and go in. I stopped going to the drive thrus for Dunkin Donuts too when I realized that everyone was in the drive in lane and nobody in the parking lot. Went in, got my food & coffee, and went back to my car without a single car in the drive-through having moved.

On the other hand, when you walk in you can't be in your pajamas.
Sure you can! Just be sure to wear your thick skin along with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area