Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,427,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
Sad, I have yet to see a single pic of kids playing or neighbors talking or people at all. At least in the Cuse neighborhoods you can see kids playing street hockey and football. Guess the people are too busy working to pay off their property taxes.
In the suburbs we have something called neighborhood parks, you may have heard of them...where the kids go to recreate and play. We in the suburbs also have something called backyards..which are nice, roomy, and attractive yards located behind the house... where neighbors gather for parties on occasion.

I feel sorry for us who live in the suburbs. We just do not have the luxury of neighborhood kids running up and down the streets half naked kicking a ball around in front of our homes disturbing our peace and quality of life. Those city residents are so lucky that they get to experience all that almost everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 AM
col

131 posts, read 674,810 times
Thumbs up Question for Bellafinzi about CLay.....

What is the Career/job situation for pro's working with developmentally disabled (mentally retarded) adults etc. There is lot of experience, master degrees and certifications and managerial backround involved...
Plus what do you love about clay... what are Property taxes like? etc...

thanks, your pictures are wonderful

Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
In the suburbs we have something called neighborhood parks, you may have heard of them...where the kids go to recreate and play. We in the suburbs also have something called backyards..which are nice, roomy, and attractive yards located behind the house... where neighbors gather for parties on occasion.

I feel sorry for us who live in the suburbs. We just do not have the luxury of neighborhood kids running up and down the streets half naked kicking a ball around in front of our homes disturbing our peace and quality of life. Those city residents are so lucky that they get to experience all that almost everyday.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
What is the Career/job situation for pro's working with developmentally disabled (mentally retarded) adults etc. There is lot of experience, master degrees and certifications and managerial backround involved...
Plus what do you love about clay... what are Property taxes like? etc...

thanks, your pictures are wonderful

Col
Thanks for the compliment, Col! I'm not familiar with the local job market in that specific sector. But there are a few job openings that can be had at "Arc of Onondaga" found here at their website: Job Opportunities: Arc of Onondaga is the largest provider of services to people with developmental disabilities in Central New York, Syracuse NY and surrounding areas.

A few reasons why I love Clay:

-Everything is convenient here. There are three Wegman's supermarkets in Clay and one just over the town line in Cicero. There are many restaurants, and fast food places very close by too.

-Traffic isn't that bad. The roads are wide and have shoulders.... something you can not say for all eastern and western suburbs of Syracuse.

-You don't feel like you live out in the middle of nowhere! There are very few places between Rochester and Albany in Upstate NY where you feel like you are in civilization. The Town of Clay is one of them.

-Other than Carousel Mall and a few sporting events (and work), when you live in Clay you never need to leave the northern suburbs. And if you find most the City neighborhoods depressing like I do, this is a big plus.

-It is growing visibly...especially compared to the City, or even the eastern or western suburbs. There are always new homes, new stores, restaurants, hotels and businesses under construction. If you leave the northern suburbs, there is not much new construction going on unless you head all the way to Rochester or Albany.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Default Property Taxes in Clay

OK, the property taxes...which include the school taxes.

If I remember correctly, depending on which school district...the property taxes in the Town of Clay run from about $2,400 to $2,900 per $100,000. That's actually on the low side in this part of Upstate NY. Most school districts in the eastern or western suburbs of Syracuse are over $3,000 per $100,000.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:17 AM
col

Default Ok how about the snow...

Thanks again...what about the snow...I have asthma and my wife has bad arthritis...I read that the roads are kept clear and you can hire people to remove from private property ...I would hazzard a guess that apartment/rental communities and or condo communites shovel the private/common area ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thanks for the compliment, Col! I'm not familiar with the local job market in that specific sector. But there are a few job openings that can be had at "Arc of Onondaga" found here at their website: Job Opportunities: Arc of Onondaga is the largest provider of services to people with developmental disabilities in Central New York, Syracuse NY and surrounding areas.

A few reasons why I love Clay:

-Everything is convenient here. There are three Wegman's supermarkets in Clay and one just over the town line in Cicero. There are many restaurants, and fast food places very close by too.

-Traffic isn't that bad. The roads are wide and have shoulders.... something you can not say for all eastern and western suburbs of Syracuse.

-You don't feel like you live out in the middle of nowhere! There are very few places between Rochester and Albany in Upstate NY where you feel like you are in civilization. The Town of Clay is one of them.

-Other than Carousel Mall and a few sporting events (and work), when you live in Clay you never need to leave the northern suburbs. And if you find most the City neighborhoods depressing like I do, this is a big plus.

-It is growing visibly...especially compared to the City, or even the eastern or western suburbs. There are always new homes, new stores, restaurants, hotels and businesses under construction. If you leave the northern suburbs, there is not much new construction going on unless you head all the way to Rochester or Albany.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:29 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Thanks again...what about the snow...I have asthma and my wife has bad arthritis...I read that the roads are kept clear and you can hire people to remove from private property ...I would hazzard a guess that apartment/rental communities and or condo communites shovel the private/common area ....
Depends on the complex, of course, but usually so.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:40 AM
col

any great rental commutities or apartment communites in and around syracuse????

Old 09-18-2008, 12:06 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Default Clayton Manor Apartments

Clayton Manor Apartments in Liverpool are great. Nice and clean. Very quiet and in a great location by the Thruway and I-81. Affordable, with a fitness room and community room as well. They also have garages too. Here are some more in the area:Rent.com: Search Results

http://www.bestapartmentsinsyracuse.com/Search.asp

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 PM

229 posts, read 691,350 times
Does Clay get more or less snow than Syracuse? What suburbs tend to get the most snow?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I would say north of the Thruway gets more snow. It at least seems to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area