Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 PM

302 posts, read 1,053,254 times

Advertisements

bellafinzi,'

Could you possibly post some pictures of the Westvale area?

You pictures are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 03:37 PM

25 posts, read 168,247 times
I am really excited to show new people my skills in cakes They are really great! If you are interested in seeing some of them, let me know.

Yeah, I am not too thrilled moving there in January......but we don't really have a choice! I am really hoping mother nature will be nice for at least a few days

So how long have you lived in Clay? Are you from Syracuse? Sorry for being "nosey", it just seems like you know a lot about the area

I have lived in this city my entire life & I don't think I would be able to explain it to someone not from here, as well as you did with Clay, lol.

Well, if I think of any other questions I will get on & post, thanks.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,556 times
hello! I just wanted to let you know that I live one street over from Cairns trail. I built in 2004 and love it. the homes are beautiful, great neighborhood. many young families. If you would like, I can get pics of the street. My boss actually lives on Cairns.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,247,924 times
Hi there!

Great pics! I'm curious, how much is a house in that subdivision in your first few pics? My family all live in Ilion and it's pretty there, but it's an older area. I live in Phx, AZ (native), but have wondered if I would ever live up there somewhere. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:32 PM

3,643 posts, read 9,522,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Hi there!

Great pics! I'm curious, how much is a house in that subdivision in your first few pics? My family all live in Ilion and it's pretty there, but it's an older area. I live in Phx, AZ (native), but have wondered if I would ever live up there somewhere. Thanks!
Thank you for the compliment!

I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess I'd say....from $250,000 to $350,000+ One house is around $1,000,000.
Those homes are located in southeastern Clay in the North Syracuse School district. (I made a mistake in my previous post, I found out that all the homes in southeastern Clay are in the North Syracuse school district.) Most of those houses were built in the mid- to late 90s. The development is called "Wild Creek". I believe the town of Clay still has a zoning code in effect that limits the size of the lots in all housing developments south of Route 31. This is one reason why Lysander, (the town to the west of Clay) and Cicero, (the town to the east of Clay) are growing faster than Clay. Some people want the bigger lot sizes that you can find in the other towns.

The smaller new homes after the first few pictures are in the Liverpool School district in western Clay. Those new houses start at $199,000 and go to about $250,000.

The new houses in the "Cairns trail" area in northeastern Clay are the least expensive. They start at $170,000.

Phoenix, Arizona is probably the most opposite city there is to the Syracuse Metropolitan area. It might be hard to get used to Upstate New York if you love Phoenix.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,247,924 times
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thank you for the compliment!

I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess I'd say....from $250,000 to $350,000+ One house is around $1,000,000.
Those homes are located in southeastern Clay in the North Syracuse School district. (I made a mistake in my previous post, I found out that all the homes in southeastern Clay are in the North Syracuse school district.) Most of those houses were built in the mid- to late 90s. The development is called "Wild Creek". I believe the town of Clay still has a zoning code in effect that limits the size of the lots in all housing developments south of Route 31. This is one reason why Lysander, (the town to the west of Clay) and Cicero, (the town to the east of Clay) are growing faster than Clay. Some people want the bigger lot sizes that you can find in the other towns.

The smaller new homes after the first few pictures are in the Liverpool School district in western Clay. Those new houses start at $199,000 and go to about $250,000.

The new houses in the "Cairns trail" area in northeastern Clay are the least expensive. They start at $170,000.

Phoenix, Arizona is probably the most opposite city there is to the Syracuse Metropolitan area. It might be hard to get used to Upstate New York if you love Phoenix.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, it would be very different to move up there. But I actually don't love AZ. It's ok and I used to hate it for a while. But for now I'm making the best of it. I spent most of my summers in NY as a child, so I know a lot about your summers. I visited once or twice during the winter. My grandmother who lived here for 30 years moved back to NY almost 10 years ago and tells me that the winters aren't that bad.

Summers here are similiar to winters up there in respect to staying inside and hibernating. At least that's what my boyfriend says who was born in Chicago.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 22,128 times
Bellafinzi, I love your pictures soo much, that I am ready to contact a real estate agent tomorrow. I just decided to move upstate after deciding against moving to Georgia...don't get me wrong, Georgia seems like a beautiful state, but I was reading one of the threads in the Georgia area, and all the talk of dangerous snakes and poisonus big hairy spiders that can occasionally get into your home didn't do it for me...my children would have a fit and so would I! They say because the weather is so warm pretty much all year round, the snakes and big, hairy, spiders just come with the territory...it makes sense, so I don't think that the south is my scene. Honestly, putting all of that aside, I think my heart belongs to New York. I currently live on Long Island and I have lived here all of my life. It is just too expensive here. We currently rent our home and my husband and I are looking to purchase a home of our own to raise our 3 children in. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works for a huge well known company as a computer programmer. He also has experience in web design and management. I guess my question to you and to anyone else who can help would be, what other areas would be good places to move in Syracuse or the surrounding suburban areas? Is Clay the place for us? (I would think so just by looking at those beautiful pictures ) Would my husband be able to find a decent job? I heard the Manlius town schools are top rated. What is the neighborhood like over there? Are the prices for homes more expensive or pretty reasonable? There is only one income in our family and although we would like to live in a nice neighborhood where the schools are great, we will also need to be able to live off of my husband's income alone until I can get my last 2 little ones off to school. We plan on making our move in time for my oldest child to be enrolled for the next coming school year..we hope to be settled by mid August of 2007. I will appreciate anyone's input...thank you sooo much.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 PM

3,643 posts, read 9,522,129 times
Thank you msnewyork! A fellow Long Island native who frequents the forums just move to Baldwinsville in the summer. He might be able to give you the best advice from a Long Island perspective.

Most people from Long Island that move to the Syracuse area live in either the Fayetteville/Manlius suburbs or the Baldwinsville area. Fayetteville/Manlius because they are rated the best schools in the Syracuse area. And Baldwinsville because it's a nice area with a village center on the Erie Canal, a planned community called Radisson, rolling hills surrounding it, has good highway access with I-690 and I-481, and a good shopping area nearby on Route 31 in Clay.

Fayetteville/Manlius is a more expensive area to live than Baldwinsville and most other suburbs. The average selling price of a home in the Manlius area is about $250,000. I don't as much about the Manlius area as the northern suburbs because its on the other side of town, but I know its upscale, has rolling hills, small village centers, Fayettevile Towne Center shopping mall is nice (has stores like Target, Kohl's, restaurants like Panera Bread, Bonefish Grill, Carrabbas etc.) and since its in the eastern suburbs it has good access to SU, and many of the businesses along I-481 in DeWitt. In Lysander, which is the town Baldwinsville is located in, the average selling price of a home is about $210,000. In Cicero it's about $160,00. Clay about $150,000, but that is mostly due to the fact that most homes in Clay are older and smaller and are on smaller lots than the ones in Cicero and Lysander. There are other suburbs like Camillus, DeWitt, Salina and Onondaga which have nice areas to live too.

As for your husband's work, I've heard opposing views about the sector that includes "web design and management" jobs in the Syracuse area. I've heard its hard to find work for IT job seekers.... yet I've also heard that some Syracuse area companies are in short supply of experienced web designers etc. So you may want to do further research into the job market.

I'd definitely visit Syracuse, look around, check out the Fayetteville Manlius area and the Baldwinsville area as well as the other suburbs including Clay to see what feels best. Either way, if you don't mind snow, I'm sure you'll like it here.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 22,128 times
Thank you so much Bellafinzi for your help. Syracuse sounds like a wonderful place to live and raise a family...I am just a little worried about my husband being able to find a job. I think I will start my own thread asking people whatever input they can offer about the job market as well as do some research on my own as you suggested. Thank you again sooooo much! by the way....just how much snow should I expect? See, here on Long Island, we do get snow most winters and a pretty good amount...enough to close the schools down, but sometimes we will go the entire winter getting hardly any snow. Are there hot summers, is it warm during spring time and a chill in the air during the fall season? I never considered moving upstate before because I always assumed it was cold up there all year round and I don't want to spend most of the year inside because it it too cold and too much snow....I know it sounds crazy, but I was wrong. I read somewhere that summer time up there can get as warm as 80 degrees. Again, thank you sooooo much for the information you have given me...maybe we'll chat again when you read the post I will start in a few minutes seeking more advice.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM

302 posts, read 1,053,254 times
Thanks for the Westvale pictures. Seeing Bishop Ludden High School really brought back some memories. I went there in the 80's. I've heard that the enrollment has been on a decline ever since. You post some wonderfull pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area