Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,036,044 times

Advertisements

I've been taking it for about a week steady. I take 2 pills during lunch which are 500mg each. Yesterday I took 2 right before bed and when I woke up I was feeling itchy and felt like I was getting hotter and hotter within seconds of waking up and laying in bed. I get up, get naked in front of the mirror and I looked like a lobster. My skin was extremely red, like a really bad sun burn. I woke the wife up to look at it and she started googling what it could be from. So I do what anyone would do, I went to work. On the way she texts me and tells me it's most likely from the Niacin and should wear off in 1 hour if it is indeed from that. Well 45 mins after waking up I stop and get gas for my car and what do you know the itching and redness is gone. If it hadn't gone away by Noon I was going to go to the walk in clinic.

Suffice to say I'll try just one a day for now on.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,819,068 times
Um, I really hope you're misreading the label. The upper limit for niacin intake is under 40mg per day. You're saying you take 1000mg per day. That's 25 times the *maximum* recommended daily intake. The *suggested* daily intake is only 18mg/day for breastfeeding/pregnant women, 16mg/day for men, 14mg/day for women, and 2-12mg/day for children.

To compare:
1 gram is 100 mg.
Consuming 1.5 grams (or 150mg) can cause toxicity, with mild symptoms being flushing and itching, and more severe symptoms being eczema, indigestion, nausea, blindness (in the case of high-dose time-released niacin) and liver toxicity.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,819,494 times
Some people really have problems with "niacin flush" and there is one you can get called slo-niacin that doesn't do that. Why are you taking it by itself though? I take all my B's together.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 PM

37,149 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Um, I really hope you're misreading the label. The upper limit for niacin intake is under 40mg per day. You're saying you take 1000mg per day. That's 25 times the *maximum* recommended daily intake. The *suggested* daily intake is only 18mg/day for breastfeeding/pregnant women, 16mg/day for men, 14mg/day for women, and 2-12mg/day for children.

To compare:
1 gram is 100 mg.
Consuming 1.5 grams (or 150mg) can cause toxicity, with mild symptoms being flushing and itching, and more severe symptoms being eczema, indigestion, nausea, blindness (in the case of high-dose time-released niacin) and liver toxicity.

OP may be taking Niaspan:

Niaspan Dosage

The dose is up to 2000 mg per day.

Taking aspirin or ibuprofen before the Niaspan can help with the flushing. OP should ask his doc about doing that.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:01 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,036,044 times
Quote:

To compare:
1 gram is 100 mg.
I take this

Sundown Naturals*Naturals Niacin 500 mg Dietary Supplement Caplets | Walgreens

Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM

According to that exact website you linked me to - the instructions say to take -one- per day. And if you check the ingredients, it says that -one- per day, is 2500% of the RDA. You read that right: two -thousand- five hundred times the recommended daily alotment.

Unless your doctor has declared you medically deficient and in desperate, serious dire medical need, there is -zero- reason to take that much niacin. In fact, even if you were in dire, desperate medical need due to some rare chemical deficiency, the typical dose is under 200 mg, which is still not even -half- of one of those caplets.

The only other reason I can think of, why anyone would take those caplets you linked to, is if the manufacturer is lying about how much (or even what) is in it, and it really isn't even close to 500 mg of nicotinic acid. This is certainly possible, since it's a supplement and supplements aren't regulated in advance by the FDA, only after the fact, and only if there are reported problems with it.

Since flushing is a typical symptom of niacin ingestion, it wouldn't be reported as a "problem."

Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,238,630 times
Quote:
According to that exact website you linked me to - the instructions say to take -one- per day. And if you check the ingredients, it says that -one- per day, is 2500% of the RDA. You read that right: two -thousand- five hundred times the recommended daily alotment.

Unless your doctor has declared you medically deficient and in desperate, serious dire medical need, there is -zero- reason to take that much niacin. In fact, even if you were in dire, desperate medical need due to some rare chemical deficiency, the typical dose is under 200 mg, which is still not even -half- of one of those caplets.

The only other reason I can think of, why anyone would take those caplets you linked to, is if the manufacturer is lying about how much (or even what) is in it, and it really isn't even close to 500 mg of nicotinic acid. This is certainly possible, since it's a supplement and supplements aren't regulated in advance by the FDA, only after the fact, and only if there are reported problems with it.

Since flushing is a typical symptom of niacin ingestion, it wouldn't be reported as a "problem."
Too bad you flunked your math ... 2500% is not "two thousand five hundred times the RDA", it's 25 times.

Nor does 100 mg = 1 gm; it's 0.1 gram. It takes 1,000 mg to equal 1 gram.

In any event, niaspan is a commonly presecribed med in doses up to slow-time released 2000 mg doses per day. Typically suggested to take the dose just before bedtime, used to control Triglycerides and Cholesterol levels in at-risk cardiac patients.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 PM

37,149 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:

Anon, see here:

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University

" ... the Food and Nutrition Board set the tolerable upper intake level (UL) for niacin (nicotinic acid and nicotinamide) at 35 mg/day to avoid the adverse effect of flushing. The UL applies to the general population and is not meant to apply to individuals who are being treated with a nutrient under medical supervision, as should be the case with high-dose nicotinic acid for elevated blood cholesterol levels (8)."

Anyone who takes high doses should do it with his doctor's knowledge. It is advisable to monitor liver function tests and blood glucose, and there can be interactions with other drugs.

So there is a supplementary dose of niacin and a much higher pharmacologic dose.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Too bad you flunked your math ... 2500% is not "two thousand five hundred times the RDA", it's 25 times.

Nor does 100 mg = 1 gm; it's 0.1 gram. It takes 1,000 mg to equal 1 gram.

In any event, niaspan is a commonly presecribed med in doses up to slow-time released 2000 mg doses per day. Typically suggested to take the dose just before bedtime, used to control Triglycerides and Cholesterol levels in at-risk cardiac patients.
But you are not taking niaspan. You're taking niacin. Niaspan's dietary dosages are irrelevent, in your case, because you're not taking it.

2500, worded out, is two thousand, five hundred. It's also twenty-five hundred. I meant percent of, not times. I mis-phrased it. My intention is the same: It's two thousand, five hundred percent. Which is not to be confused with 100%, or one hundred percent. 25x the RDA is still more than the RDA by a WHOLE LOT. It's more than TWICE. That makes it more than just a lot. It makes it a whole lot. Or a real whole super duper lot. Suffice it to say, it's more than the max recommended, which means, whatever amount you're taking, whatever percentage or numeric value you want to assign to it, is more than you should be taking.

And regardless, you're not taking one caplet every day, as recommended by the instructions on the niacin. You're taking two per day, which is twice whatever it says to take, and what it says to take, is still more than what you should be taking.

Also regardless of my faulty math, you're taking a dose of one drug, that is recommended for a different drug. Don't do that, and you won't feel the symptoms you're complaining about.

Or - continue to do it, and stop complaining that you're experiencing the typical symptoms associated with taking the wrong dose.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Anon, see here:

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University

" ... the Food and Nutrition Board set the tolerable upper intake level (UL) for niacin (nicotinic acid and nicotinamide) at 35 mg/day to avoid the adverse effect of flushing. The UL applies to the general population and is not meant to apply to individuals who are being treated with a nutrient under medical supervision, as should be the case with high-dose nicotinic acid for elevated blood cholesterol levels (8)."

Anyone who takes high doses should do it with his doctor's knowledge. It is advisable to monitor liver function tests and blood glucose, and there can be interactions with other drugs.

So there is a supplementary dose of niacin and a much higher pharmacologic dose.
Anyone taking high doses should be taking it under medical supervision - not merely a doctor's knowledge. If he were truly taking this under medical supervision, he wouldn't be here asking us about doses, nor would he be confusing 1000 mg of niacin with 1000 mg of niaspan. He also would not likely be taking twice whatever dose is instructed according to the manufacturer's label. One tablet is already more than the upper intake level, by "A WHOLE LOT."

And taking -that- much more (that is to say, A WHOLE LOT, not to be confused with SOME MORE or A LOT, for all of you out there keeping track), on a daily basis, for an extended period of time, can contribute to serious bodily harm, including blindness. Super-dosing niacin, is not something you do without a doctor closely monitoring you. It can result in "bad things."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.