Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,517,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Get back in line!
Ha ha! <gg>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
No, we didn't. I looked at the bills. Lots done. The timing belt, water pump and other smaller stuff was $2400 at our Subaru dealer. We use the dealer so we have Subaru trained mechanics and parts. I hope I am not wrong about that <ss>.

my suggestion is to never take anythings to the dealer, even when it is under warranty in most cases. I'm sure you can find a reputable independent shop that will do better work, quicker, and for way cheaper.

What was the other smaller stuff?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
my suggestion is to never take anythings to the dealer, even when it is under warranty in most cases. I'm sure you can find a reputable independent shop that will do better work, quicker, and for way cheaper.

What was the other smaller stuff?
I will try to find time to look at bills to type out.

My problem is lack of education re: cars and when to trust an independent shop and when not to. Also, I have this idea that the dealer will have tools that are more appropriate for the car brand and model and they are certified to do Subarus, for sure. What do you say about that? Please give me your advice/opinion.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I will try to find time to look at bills to type out.

My problem is lack of education re: cars and when to trust an independent shop and when not to. Also, I have this idea that the dealer will have tools that are more appropriate for the car brand and model and they are certified to do Subarus, for sure. What do you say about that? Please give me your advice/opinion.

Thanks.

I'm on my 2nd Subaru(I love them), and both neither have ever seen the inside of a dealer and never will. Granted, neither were under warranty. But if I get a newer Subaru with a warranty, I'll make sure that they will honor that I can prove with receipts that the maintenance schedule was followed(most companies do this), just so I can avoid the dealership. for maintenance and most repairs, there really are no Subaru specific tools. I'm not saying dealerships arent qualified to do the work. Most are, but the problem is dealerships are notorious for charging outrageous prices, are usually slower doing the work, and always try to find things that dont exist and tell the customer they need to be done. And it's usually to women.

I found that out first hand with my wife's car. When she had her Kia Sorento she took it in to get some minor electrical thing fixed under warranty. Her car had about 45k on it. Her and her mom took it over there during the day while I was at work. they told her that while she was there, she needed to do the timing belt(which they priced at roughly 1000 bucks) while it's there or the car was at risk of blowing up. Luckily she called me and asked me if that was true. I said no obviously, told her to tell them only do what it's there for, and I'll have a nice talk with them when we pick it up in the evening. Evening rolls around, I have a nice "chat" with one of the managers and all was well.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Hello Friends,
The car is only driven 800 miles on an annual trip to another state and then otherwise on local short highway drives or to the supermarket, etc. Sits in the driveway sometimes for 2 - 3 days. We are retired. So, any thoughts appreciated <g>. Thanks.
Just dipping back in here again.

It's going to be very cheap to keep this care running for the next 5 years or more. Nowhere near the $1000 you're guessing.

On the other hand, the question that occurs to me is whether you need a car at all. If you really feel the need to economize, and it's mainly driven on this annual trip, you could sell the car, bank the proceeds, and pay it out a little at a time for your annual rental.

You just need to decide if the inability to jump in the car to go shopping, to a ball game, or somewhere else is worth keeping it, but that might be the crucial question. You are unlikely to get any car as reliable as the one you have, that will last as long as what you have, that will cost you less than this one.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Just dipping back in here again.

It's going to be very cheap to keep this care running for the next 5 years or more. Nowhere near the $1000 you're guessing.

On the other hand, the question that occurs to me is whether you need a car at all. If you really feel the need to economize, and it's mainly driven on this annual trip, you could sell the car, bank the proceeds, and pay it out a little at a time for your annual rental.

You just need to decide if the inability to jump in the car to go shopping, to a ball game, or somewhere else is worth keeping it, but that might be the crucial question. You are unlikely to get any car as reliable as the one you have, that will last as long as what you have, that will cost you less than this one.
We need our car very, very much! We are cat rescuers who have slowed down on that end a bit, but we care for multiple cats and many have medical problems. We are at the vet a great deal. We go local (our area is highly dense, NYC suburb) but we do many many trips. Just went to the vet twice today, about 8 miles to Home Depot, to another place, etc. We drove our cleaning crew home yesterday, as we always do, etc. It's just very very local. But we absolutely need our car! Couldn't live without our own car!

Old 09-26-2014, 01:23 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Hi All,

This is about economics.

Should we (which is the best plan, savings-wise):

Sell our 2002 Forester L Subaru now, or keep it for a few more years.

My husband says keep, I say sell. ??? We never drive a lot, do some local highway miles and some city driving - husband took the train to work and I worked at home so we need only one car (we are retired) and we still do the same kind of low mileage driving.

Which is a better deal: Keeping for 3 more years or selling? The car is in fantastic condition (almost no dents or scratches, and what there was were mostly removed because we had it partly repainted after someone (yes!) poured paint remover on the back roof as a prank (ha ha) last year. Actually, he did us a favor because now the car looks fabulous and even has new roof racks courtesy of our insurance, mostly.

Current mileage is about 44,500 miles!

We have never been in an accident, have it serviced religiously at the Subaru Dealer we bought it from - we feel it can go for years. Tires recent, all upkeep done, interior excellent.

Price for a private sale in Very Good condition (it is almost Excellent, actually) is around $7,000 on Kelly BB.

Or, do we buy a new Forester? We love the Subaru.

Thanks!
This a trick question, right?

Unless you really need the money (which I doubt because you're talking about buying a new Forester) or you simply must have a vehicle with the most up-to-date amenities (which would explain why you're looking to buy a new Forester), I would keep the current vehicle and drive it 'til the wheels come off.

By your own admission, the vehicle is in almost excellent condition.

So, why pay out tens of thousands of dollars if you don't have to?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
This a trick question, right?

Unless you really need the money (which I doubt because you're talking about buying a new Forester) or you simply must have a vehicle with the most up-to-date amenities (which would explain why you're looking to buy a new Forester), I would keep the current vehicle and drive it 'til the wheels come off.

By your own admission, the vehicle is in almost excellent condition.

So, why pay out tens of thousands of dollars if you don't have to?
this has already been discussed. This thread is from the first of the year.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:27 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
this has already been discussed. This thread is from the first of the year.
Yeah, I saw that after I answered.

Oh, well.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Do you have a place to park it inside? I would keep it, just for those few days you need an extra car. A car like that? Low miles and well taken care of? Why sell it to some stranger? I would keep it for a grandchild or one of your kids if they need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru