Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,241 times

Advertisements

I don't get why people brag that it's "such a low cost of living" or "best bang" for your buck. Doesn't the pay usually accomadate the cost of living? I don't consider Chesterfield or Ladue exactly cheap. Many good houses cost upwards of $500,000 in West County. If you want to factor in places like Blackjack or Riverview, then I don't think that it necesarily is a fair comparison (not a great area to live in). Some of these luxury houses cost more than a normal house near the beach on the West Coast. Not to mention having to pay taxes every year on your car (which sucks). Can someone please explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 AM

58 posts, read 134,861 times
I think when they say low cost of living they mean St Louis City itself maybe? As for the rest of the region it is relatively cheaper than other cities.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
In cost of living, it is to compare similar areas betweeen different metro areas.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:21 AM

26 posts, read 78,286 times
It's all relative. If you're coming from most mid-sized to large cities in the US and want a 3- to 4-bedroom house in the city or inner suburbs, St. Louis looks very affordable.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
No, pay doesn't usually match cost of living. For example, my exact job would pay me about 4k (not even) more in Washington DC. According to every cost of living calculator I've ever seen, I would need to make 30k+ more a year to match my current lifestyle in the St. Louis area. And it's not that I have some sort of extravagant lifestyle either, but let me tell you what I can do living in the St. Louis area than DC or similar:

-I own a 4 bedroom house with my girlfriend in the city, with a finished basement and swimming pool. For the same price in DC, I can have a shack on the roof of an abandoned building in a dangerous neighborhood.

-We go on vacation a few times a year

-We go out to eat pretty frequently

-I am two years removed from college and my gf is still in college

DC is an awesome place, but jeez I cannot justify the downgrade in lifestyle. Once we make a lot more money, it wouldn't be such a huge adjustment.

Last edited by BoomBoxing; 06-02-2010 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: had to finish my post!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM

102 posts, read 708,532 times
St Louis is not a low cost of living area. That is a myth perpetuated by the Chamber of Commerce and RCGA. Compared to Boston, NY, DC and the west coast it is cheap, but compared to any part of mid-america it is very expensive. I have looked at homes in kc, indy, nashville, memphis, louisville, cincinnati, atlanta, tulsa, oklahoma city and others and they provide a lot more value than st louis. We don't even build brick houses in the area anymore due to the high labor costs while the above mentioned metro areas have brick on four sides on most of the new homes.

Groceries are more too. Check out where Schnucks appears in consumer reports value rating compared to other major metro chains.

Property taxes are ridiculous on new homes(not 40 year homes) due to the previously mentioned high prices. You buy your home then rent it from the taxing districts.

This area simply cannot compete with the rest of the country for new jobs from companies located in other areas due to the high cost of housing.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post
St Louis is not a low cost of living area. That is a myth perpetuated by the Chamber of Commerce and RCGA. Compared to Boston, NY, DC and the west coast it is cheap, but compared to any part of mid-america it is very expensive. I have looked at homes in kc, indy, nashville, memphis, louisville, cincinnati, atlanta, tulsa, oklahoma city and others and they provide a lot more value than st louis. We don't even build brick houses in the area anymore due to the high labor costs while the above mentioned metro areas have brick on four sides on most of the new homes.

Groceries are more too. Check out where Schnucks appears in consumer reports value rating compared to other major metro chains.

Property taxes are ridiculous on new homes(not 40 year homes) due to the previously mentioned high prices. You buy your home then rent it from the taxing districts.

This area simply cannot compete with the rest of the country for new jobs from companies located in other areas due to the high cost of housing.
Having lived in both Atlanta and St. Louis there is no comparison. The cost of living in St. Louis is much, much less.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post

Whhaaaatt?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM

102 posts, read 708,532 times
Skipcromer. I have been looking at housing in alpharetta ga (atl suburbs) for a couple of years and find the housing to be much better for the money than in st louis. New houses that are $500k in alpharetta are $700k in chesterfield. I believe both suburbs are somewhat comparable. The chesterfield house at $700k has property taxes of $8000. I am not comparing st louis city versus atlanta city....i am comparing the suburbs of both metro areas since most corporate relocations are to the burbs.

Regarding my comment on companies not relocating, I even read a corporate relocation directors comments in in a trade publication that st louis was a hard sell due to poor housing stock and high prices. Why do you think atlanta, dallas, houston, indy, and nashville are growing so fast while st louis is stagnant with essentially the same population as 50 years ago.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
i am comparing the suburbs of both metro areas since most corporate relocations are to the burbs.

You compared one suburb to another, which are both far flung suburbs.

Look at city neighborhoods as well as inner suburbs, such as druid hills and compare that to webster or maplewood.

Even distant suburbs like alpharetta and chesterfield is not a valid comparison. Alpharetta is roughly 25-30 miles from downtown atlanta. Have fun driving down GA 400 anytime between 6 - 10 am and 3 - 7 pm. While 64 is no picnic, it beats the hell out of 400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis