Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post
City house prices are low due to abundant supply and low demand. Boston has a strong city housing market whereas st louis is weak. Boston city schools are much better than st louis city schools.
No one that afford it sends their children to STL city schools. Thats why there is an abundance of private schools.
The schools in the county are just fine, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM

266 posts, read 464,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Cost of Living

Just check it out. St. Louis is the most affordable of the top 20 metros.

Interesting website. I wonder how St. Louis has managed to stay affordable.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Yea but most St. Louisans don't live in Creve Coeur or Ballwin. These are some of the most well off communities in the metro area and perhaps the Midwest. Obviously these areas are going to be more pricey then North or South County.
West County is the most well-off area in the Midwest I belive (so many companies here: Energizer, Monsanto, Enterprise, etc.).

You have to look at it though, many people are concerned with what school their kids go to. If I was making money (aka im a poor college student) I'd probaly move out there because that's where the schools get better. If I moved to N or S County or lived in St. Charles like my friend did, I'd probaly send my kids to Chaminade or what not. The schools aren't bad in N. County like the city schools, but they do NOT provide enough oppurtunity. And the shopping places quite honestly suck in North County (haven't really spent enough time in South County to make judgements). It's so comfy shopping out in West County. For example, I went to the new Town & Country Target and it's a ton better and quieter than the one's I've been to in North County.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but that's how I feel since I've been living here. I think it's just STL County though. I'm used to being able to shop at any Walmart, not just a select few. It feels a bit normal in St. Charles County because there's not a bunch places I won't go to.

Ah, that was my rant.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
When you people are talking about cost of living why are you just focusing on housing? There are much more things that factor into the cost of living than how much a house costs or how much rent is...
Like?

I think it's a big deal simply because that's peoples biggest investment. It's like if you go to NY and try to get a house in Tribeca then you'll sacrifice space for the niceness of an area.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:33 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Though part of it depends on the variability of housing in a particular area as well. Within the same school district there is most often a wide range of housing prices and styles with enough land value variability. Oftentimes as well you would have similar shopping oppurtunities regardless of income if you are close enough.

I wonder if at times as well cost of living can be self-perpetuating. Basically it's high because it has been high and its low because it has been lown. My guess is the biggest factors for difference is related to land available along with taxes and regulations in an area compared ot other places. Other factors that can play a role is how easy it is to transport goods of various types into an area since a more remote place would have higher costs related to this.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Though part of it depends on the variability of housing in a particular area as well. Within the same school district there is most often a wide range of housing prices and styles with enough land value variability. Oftentimes as well you would have similar shopping oppurtunities regardless of income if you are close enough.

I wonder if at times as well cost of living can be self-perpetuating. Basically it's high because it has been high and its low because it has been lown. My guess is the biggest factors for difference is related to land available along with taxes and regulations in an area compared ot other places. Other factors that can play a role is how easy it is to transport goods of various types into an area since a more remote place would have higher costs related to this.
Well, I'm used to living in areas where the house have much varied costs. Like you could have a $150,000 house that LOOks like its valued at that much and a $1million dollar house in the same area (kids go to the same school).

I think that's why I asked the question. I rather live where there is a variety of incomes rather than living around people with just my income. A small house in Ladue is gonna cost a lot just because it's, well, Laude and I'm not a fan of that. Of course it's a problem in America (Sorry, but Cali is not THAT great because a bunch of people I see on TV live there).

Old 07-02-2010, 05:12 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Well, I'm used to living in areas where the house have much varied costs. Like you could have a $150,000 house that LOOks like its valued at that much and a $1million dollar house in the same area (kids go to the same school).

I think that's why I asked the question. I rather live where there is a variety of incomes rather than living around people with just my income. A small house in Ladue is gonna cost a lot just because it's, well, Laude and I'm not a fan of that. Of course it's a problem in America (Sorry, but Cali is not THAT great because a bunch of people I see on TV live there).
There will be some places that have a base of being higher due to location. But in the St. Louis area is very localized unlike some areas where everywhere has a high price floor.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:19 AM

102 posts, read 708,144 times
Land is expensive in west st louis county. Last month I saw a sign at carman road near dietrich for a small lot with the side bordering on busy and noisy carman road listed at $200k. This is in manchester...not exactly a high end neighborhood. I have seen many building lots in t&c and ladue in excess of $500k. Rule of thumb is that land cost should not exceed 25% of total cost of house. Therefore, $200k lot equates to $800 or more house. Property taxes on such a house would be $8k(parkway schools) to $12k(rockwood schools). I still say that the cost of NEW housing in st louis county is high compared to other cities in mid america. These $800 k houses have vinyl siding and not brick/stone which you would see in other mid west and southern cities.

Yes, 100 year old houses in the city are cheap. We have lots of them. I had a relative from the east coast visit recently and we went on a tour of st louis city. He could not believe the large number of vacant and deteriorating properties. They don't have that where he lives. It was a real eye opener for him.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post
Yes, 100 year old houses in the city are cheap. We have lots of them. I had a relative from the east coast visit recently and we went on a tour of st louis city. He could not believe the large number of vacant and deteriorating properties. They don't have that where he lives. It was a real eye opener for him.
Lot's of opportunity!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:14 AM

102 posts, read 708,144 times
Yes lots of opportunity. Detroit is loaded with opportunity with the average price for home in city of detroit of $18k. 67000 vacant properties in detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis