Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 32,679 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm moving to St. Louis this summer, and will be attending graduate school in the fall. I have a few possibilities for housing, but want to make sure that the neighborhoods are safe, as I will be walking from the MetroLink at night and also walking my dog at night.
Are any of you familiar with the 5300/5400 block of Pershing? Or the 500 block of Clara? Or the 1000 block of Skinker?
Not only am I wondering about safety when walking at night alone, but also about leaving my car out. How important is gated parking in these areas? (prevalence of vandalism/break-ins?)

Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,695,438 times
The Pershing and Clara addresses are fairly safe. I park down there all the time, my best friend lives near Clara & Waterman. Lots of grad students there. I would pick either of those over Skinker, which is not nearly as residential.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,723,746 times
The Pershing and Clara Metrolink station is ok at night, but not the best. I would skip using the Delmar Metrolink station really late at night, which is what you would need to use for the Skinker address.

If you can, look at housing around the U City/Big Bend Metrolink Station, or anything further out on the Shrewsbury Metrolink line. Those areas are all really safe.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,604,277 times
Honestly, why is the first question everyone asks about safety. Is it because of that stupid "most dangerous cities" list we are mistakenly at the top of every year? Sheesh. We need to clean up our reputation nationally.

Debaliever is quite safe. If safety is your most important criteria look for apts in the Moorlands and Demun area of Clayton.

Tip, when parking anywhere in an urban area, don't leave anything of value in sight.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 32,679 times
Moorlander,

For me, it's not about the city's reputation... I'm coming from a small town in Iowa - moving to a major city alone, as a young, naive female, I would ask about safety whether I was moving to Chicago, San Diego, Minneapolis, etc. Please don't take offense to my asking! I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible - where I am, we don't worry about getting our cars stolen, having people break in, getting assaulted, walking alone late at night, or even locking our doors! I'm just a naive small town girl!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,879,114 times
I am from a small town and I live in South city, very close to downtown. It can be a shock at first, but you will love all the amenities a big city can offer. You will be just fine, just exercise street smarts. I live by these rules: Don't leave anything in your car, not even change. Always keep your door locked, and always be aware of your surroundings. I would go buy yourself some pepper spray if it will make you feel better. I have lived here six years with no problems. I have been all over the city, day and night.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,604,277 times
Libco,
No offense taken and my post was not meant to be directed towards you specifically. Welcome to the area, we're glad to have you.

If safety is top priority, check out the Moorlands Neighborhood of Clayton. It's primarily grad students, teachers, young professionals, and young families. You'll feel like you don't even have to lock your doors or roll up your car windows at night. And there are still plenty of cheap apts and a 5min bike ride to washU. There is also a shuttle.

Moorlands photo tour
https://www.city-data.com/forum/misso...tc-too-33.html

there is a nice neighborhood retail district too with a dry cleaners, fine dining, diner, ice cream parlor, starbux, deli, etc all bordering the neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,695,438 times
Clayton probably requires some compromise on the amenities the OP is looking for (walking distance to MetroLink, updated, balcony, parking, in unit washer/dryer) in the $600-800/mo price range.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,879,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaSTL View Post
Pershing and Clara = gangsta central, avoid at all costs. No sane person would hang out in that war zone.
How many times are you going to get banned? go away.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM

21 posts, read 34,624 times
Creve Coeur--New Ballas Road area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis