Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 40,228 times

Advertisements

We just moved to STL from Minnesota this past May---looking for some fun ideas for my week vacation home with the kids (6 & 3) over their Christmas break.

We have any indoor waterparks here? Up in Minny, this was a popular thing for some resorts/hotels---but of course, winter lasts about 6 months up there too (don't miss that!). Any other fun ideas of resorts w/in a couple hrs of STL that I could take the fam to for a long weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
I have no firsthand experience down here, but from word of mouth, I know Branson is kind of a popular getaway. Looks like they have a few indoor water park resorts as well, from a little googling. I guess it kind of sounds like Wisconsin Dells to me, which you may be familiar with, but less focus on the waterparks and more on the shows, golfing, etc.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
i think there is one in KC

Old 12-10-2009, 03:26 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,272 times
None to speak of in STL. Except for Hurricane Harbor at Six "Chapter 11" Flags, even our outdoor parks are pretty weak (the one in Grafton, IL is a joke). I think the Des Peres Rec Center has a few indoor slides, but they are pretty average.

DP is correct - to the west, we have Kansas City which has CoCoKey Water Resort. My wife , daughter and I have been there twice and loved it. It was a pretty good deal for the admission ($25 all day per person on weekend days) and wasn't too crowded. It's located in the Holiday Inn. Here's the 411:

CoCo Key Water Park Day Passes | Plan | Kansas City | CoCo Key Water Resort

Plus, Kansas City has a LOT of cool stuff to do and see. Great city, great people, the jewel of Missouri:

Things to Do in Kansas City : VisitKC.com Official Travel Source

Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,655 times
No cool indoor water parks in St. Louis like up north, though many of the municipalities (Des Peres, Ballwin, and I THINK Maplewood) have indoor pools that are open for winter break, like Markman said. Nothing fancy, but the basic slide, lazy river, kids tipping bucket area. They serve as a great winter energy burner. Not sure where you live, but check nearby municipalities. Many don't require residency... they just charge you a little more.

Within 2 hours of St. Louis, we have taken the kids to Tantara. Here is a deal they have now...

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs135.snc1/5768_137751991814_100141261814_3745062_3214723_n.j pg (broken link)

There is a lot to do there and the Lake is pretty this time of the year.

A little further but worth the drive is also the Great Wolf Lodge in KC. Fun weekend getaway, PLUS it's within walking distance to the T-Rex Cafe, which our boys get a huge kick out of!! If you have never been to KC, particularly during the holidays, go downtown to the Plaza. FABULOUS shopping and just beautiful this time of year, as it is all lit up!! One of our favorite winter destinations...

Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,655 times
Also, locally, consider places like Bounce U, Monkey Joe's and SkyZone for toddler/little one winter energy burners. They all have winter open jumps. You will porbably see us there =).

Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
None to speak of in STL. Except for Hurricane Harbor at Six "Chapter 11" Flags, even our outdoor parks are pretty weak (the one in Grafton, IL is a joke). I think the Des Peres Rec Center has a few indoor slides, but they are pretty average.

DP is correct - to the west, we have Kansas City which has CoCoKey Water Resort. My wife , daughter and I have been there twice and loved it. It was a pretty good deal for the admission ($25 all day per person on weekend days) and wasn't too crowded. It's located in the Holiday Inn. Here's the 411:

CoCo Key Water Park Day Passes | Plan | Kansas City | CoCo Key Water Resort

Plus, Kansas City has a LOT of cool stuff to do and see. Great city, great people, the jewel of Missouri:

Things to Do in Kansas City : VisitKC.com Official Travel Source

You had me until "The jewel of Missouri" KC is a fine city, but come on.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
Also, have you thought about taking the kiddos skiing? Hidden Valley is located in the STL area:
Hidden Valley :: Home Page - Hidden Valley.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Also, have you thought about taking the kiddos skiing? Hidden Valley is located in the STL area:
Hidden Valley :: Home Page - Hidden Valley.

Opens December 19th! Certainly not a challenging set of runs by any means, but if you visit after a real snow in STL (four inches or more lol), and the sun is out, it's a great, affordable way to enjoy some easy-level skiing. The wife and I go there twice a year to tune up before heading to skiing heaven in Colorado and Utah.

Last edited by Marksman84; 12-10-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
You had me until "The jewel of Missouri" KC is a fine city, but come on.
Overall, KC is a slightly better city than STL. You have to look beyond baseball, Italian Restaurants and Catholic Dioceses. I believe another thread on the Missouri forum discusses this, so let's not go too far off topic, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis