Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times

Advertisements

Hi! we are moving to st.louis VERY soon. My husband, two small children and myself....I am a freaked....since I dont know the area so well...at all really I am looking for some help. We dont really know anyone there yet so thanks for any advice in advance. I am SAHM so we are a one income family. My husband will be working close to the airport. We want a safe but not expensive place to live which looks like leaves us with an apartment...... so what is the best area to look at and a complex would be great lol I am looking for Safety since I will be there 24.7. with our kids thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 PM

321 posts, read 1,004,381 times
A lot depends on your definition of "not expensive" and also how long of a commute to the airport your husband is willing to accept. Since you mention a complex and you have little kids, I would steer away from the more "singles" oriented complexes over by Westport. One area to consider is west of Lindbergh off Schuetz Road where I know there are a lot of families with children. Many of those complexes there are walking distance to Willow Brook Elementary in Pattonville schools which would be nice for your kids.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 AM

270 posts, read 656,586 times
Tough question to answer because you have not listed a budget. Most of the housing close to the airport will be filled with low class blacks and white trailor trash.. sorry if that offends anyone but it's true and to tell you anything less than truthful would do you more harm than good as you've made it clear you want to avoid the criminals.

The single mamas on welfare are usually OK, but the riff raff they drag over won't be, so I'd rule out any kind of housing that caters to them or is subsidized in any way.

Finally, the school system is a critical factor. There are many schools around st. louis you won't want your children going to. They are training camps for the next generation of criminals, not places to get an education. Where do you think the criminals learn how to be so stupid? The good ol st. louis school system and bad neighborhoods, of course! The st. louis area is a great place, 80% of it anyway. 20% of it is a total hell hole that's unimaginably trashy. Avoiding that 20% is worth any expensive. Just my .02

To summarize:
North County == criminals, welfare people, and the poor
South County == a little bit redneck, rural type lifestyle (pickups & such)
West County == upper middle class, nice neighborhoods
East Metro (IL) can be variable. Most of it is trashy as can be but Edwardsville isn't, and some of the places in the sticks might be OK for a poor person without much of a budget.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:21 AM

200 posts, read 633,162 times
Sixtwobaldguy, where do you fall in that summarized list of areas?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,499,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
Tough question to answer because you have not listed a budget. Most of the housing close to the airport will be filled with low class blacks and white trailor trash.. sorry if that offends anyone but it's true and to tell you anything less than truthful would do you more harm than good as you've made it clear you want to avoid the criminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post

To summarize:
North County == criminals, welfare people, and the poor
South County == a little bit redneck, rural type lifestyle (pickups & such)
West County == upper middle class, nice neighborhoods
East Metro (IL) can be variable. Most of it is trashy as can be but Edwardsville isn't, and some of the places in the sticks might be OK for a poor person without much of a budget.
Hey troll,

If you're going to lay down an ignorant, unfounded tirade with racist/misanthropic overtones, you might want to consider using spellcheck to at least give the illusion that you're somewhat educated.

Let me guess - you live in Huntleigh or Town and Country - in Mom and Dad's basement, and you're 40?

Now to the OP: my younger colleagues/friends highly recommend this site for choosing the right apartment. Welcome to STL and Good Luck!

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/MO.html

Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM

270 posts, read 656,586 times
lol actually I do live in T&C but not in anyone's basement. There's nothing racist going on. I have neighbors of a few different races and we all get along fine and agree a little extra spent on housing keeps us in good company and anyway from the crime and low lifes. We are classist, not racist. Get it right fellow. Work hard and you get rewarded, god bless the USA!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,874,721 times
Tifftiff,
I would suggest looking in St Charles, St Peters, Maryland Heights, Creve Coeur. All of these places are within a 25 minute drive to the airport, safe and have good schools. Welcome to St Louis, there is a ton of great stuff to do for families and a lot of it is free! Great things to check out with your children: Zoo (free), City Garden (free), Science Center (not sure if it cost anything), Magic House, Grants Farm (free but you pay for parking) The Arch, City Museum (coolest place ever!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis