Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 16,876 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to St. Louis for four years while he goes to school at saint louis University. I will be working at WUSTL or SLU, depends where I get a position as a research post doc. I would like to be able to commute by metrolink or bus at least for a year.

Can anyone recommend some safe places and nice appartments to stay along the metro route. Our range for rent is 800-900.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 01:42 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,845 times
Try the Merchandise Mart, Paul Brown, Cupples Station all downtown. They are rental developments within a few blocks from a metro station.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 16,876 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out the places online, though they look good...some of the reviews I read were really bad especially for merchandise mart...I guess I will get a better idea when I see them. Thanks

How is public transit from clayton and the appt rents in those areas

Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,845 times
I have never checked on reviews when looking for a place. I find they are always blown out of proportion and are never quite accurate. I would recommend you to take a tour of them first. Clayton is a more expensive area so it may be out of the price range mentioned.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I would also look near the Central West End. It will be convenient to both Wash U and SLU and is vibrant and safe.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,692 times
Thumbs up St.Louis Metro Apartments

Hey there,

I moved to St.L with intension of living here a year as a new RN to get experience and I think I'm going to bang out another. I too have been using Metro and working at Barnes Hospital. I live downtown at Mansion house, LOVE it! I know your thinking, downtown!?!? are you crazy... but no, use common sense. I live alone, I don't walk out...alone..downtown..(uhm, duh). If there is some weirdo walkin down the street I cross to the other side look forward and keep walking. Never had a problem. LOVE Mansion house. Went and looked at its neighbor, Gentrys Landing and they tried to sell me on the fact that Mansion house doesn't allow you to control your temp. Well, that's true.. but why would you need to its FREE and they keep it comfortably. I had one day during a transition season it was hot, so I went down and complained and they fixed it. Oh, did i mention they include all utilities but electric? I seriously don't pay my bill but every 3-4 months when I think of it and I have yet to spend more than $50 when I do finally pay it. It's cheaper to incure the 2% late fee than lick a stamp every month! So please, control my temp all you want. Their fitness center is amazing, 24 hours a day, FREE laundry 24 hours a day, FREE business center with internet 24 hours a day..and did I mention roof top pool (wish it was 24 hours a day-lol)? I can't wait for 4th of July, the arch is basically my back yard. We also have our own little mini park off the second floor that connects the Gentry on one side and the hotel on the other. So perfect to stroll or if you have a dog. I wish they would do more with it (fountains, lights... could be awesome).

Anyway, I love that I can walk to 4 different starbucks, shop, eat, and 1 block to the metro that I can take to Barnes Hospital b/c it stops right there (where they just opened a new Pi location PIZZA!), or ride it to other shopping destinations. Had to put my car to sleep (there is a garage you can pay to park in) so I was without for 2 months. Never missed it. Theres a grocery store downtown, or have groceries delievered.

My lease is up soon so I've been exploring options but none compare to my FREE laundry, FREE Fitness, FREE pool, garage access, FREE net access in business center, and you get a couple free local channels... I live high up for 800 a month.

IF you don't need a pool and have a bit more refined taste check out Allegro at the Boulevard, loft apartments really clean area between metro stop and Galleria, no pool though.

Humm I think that about sums it up, good luck.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,222 times
Merchandise Mart is mixed rent and Cupples Station in income restricted. It will depend on you and your hustband's income on both of those buildings. Not sure about Paul Brown.

It would really help if you could find out if you will be at SLU or Wash U. The closest Metro station from SLU is the Grand stop. It's fine for the better part of the day, but if it were me I wouldn't want a woman doing the walk by herself at night. Wash U will give you more flexibility as far as apartments go located near the metro, but the price will be higher too. Most of Wash U's are private owner and aren't always advertised online as well. Are you able to drive to the city for a weekend? Might be worth it.

What type of place are you looking for? Are you looking for 1BR, 2BR, .etc and also apartments or a loft? Just asking because the previous suggestions were all lofts. Let me know and I could recommend something. Also if you have some already picked out online I could let you know what I think about the area or building. I've looked at a ton of lofts in the city so that's probably my strongest suit.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
What type of place are you looking for? Are you looking for 1BR, 2BR, .etc and also apartments or a loft? Just asking because the previous suggestions were all lofts. Let me know and I could recommend something. Also if you have some already picked out online I could let you know what I think about the area or building. I've looked at a ton of lofts in the city so that's probably my strongest suit.
The original post is from over 4 years ago, hopefully they found a place by now since they were just relocating for 4 years...

Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
The Mansion House was the very first place I toured. Not quite as sexy as living on Washington, I believe, but adequate in its own bland way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis