Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,346 times

Advertisements

Yes, Saint Louis is underrated and often appreciated only by people from OTHER places. Also, don't worry you will get a break from the humidity fairly soon. It's called Winter.Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:53 PM

118 posts, read 295,405 times
What street are you on in TGS? I'm also down here and love the neighborhood. Did you catch the pride parade on Sunday? It was great!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM

114 posts, read 819,187 times
Thanks to all! I will do the Route 66 and wineries but kind of feel that I'm cheating on my old home Suzi - yes - the parade made me feel at home. Started with breakfast at Mokabe's and watched the set up then a beer at the Jade Room then toured TGP and dinner at City Diner (not great). BUT loved Pho Grand last night! I'm doing this all by myself and don't feel out of place. I need to meet people so will check out the meetings. Suzi - I'm on Grace Ave...LOVE the street and cobblestone. Love the Islamic Center behind the house and the kids playing ball in the alley. Yes it's honeymoon period but hey, if I can get over Saturday's weather, I can look past other things. (thought I was going to die. got panicked, actually).

Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 AM

166 posts, read 490,277 times
Congrats on the successful move, and glad to hear you're enjoying so far! Tower Grove is a great area. I moved back this way after 4 years in NorCal with few to no regrets.

I did miss easy availability of great, fresh seafood though. There's a place in UCity called Bob's Seafood that solved that little problem well enough.

Have fun exploring StL and the surrounding areas! The humidity may suck on occasion, but the 'reverse sticker shock' makes up for that I think.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:23 PM

711 posts, read 2,109,079 times
I've been in the city for over a year and I'm still in the honeymoon period. I get angry about the trash and the negative attitudes that natives have toward the city, but I love it here and don't see that changing any time soon.

Where I'm from, a vacation day from work meant going to the 1 park to let the kids play on its one set of playground equipment or traveling 35 miles to the mall for "something to do."

Today, a vacation day means the zoo, going to the new sculpture park downtown (Citygarden) and walking the Arch grounds. Oh, then tonight I'm going to a hill behind my house that overlooks the city to watch the fireworks at 9:30!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
So glad to hear that you love the Lou! Makes me homesick, though......

Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 AM

114 posts, read 819,187 times
Thanks for the seafood recommendation! That and a lack of authentic taquerias are the only missing foods. Restaurants are about on par with California prices though but my grocery bill has been cut by at least 30%!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,722,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissit View Post
Thanks for the seafood recommendation! That and a lack of authentic taquerias are the only missing foods. Restaurants are about on par with California prices though but my grocery bill has been cut by at least 30%!
Try the Mexican places on Cherokee street a few blocks west of Jefferson.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Try the Mexican places on Cherokee street a few blocks west of Jefferson.
theres a great article in todays Post about Cherokee, heres a link
06/10/2009 - Take a tour of Cherokee Street's stores, galleries and restaurants - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/story/4E2B7EBD4BAAD491862575D100795ADE?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,925 times
Visited St. Louis from Ohio in May, and was also very impressed. For some interesting eateries that are certainly unique in a diversity sense, I recommend trying some of the Bosnian Restaurants on Gravois Ave. on the South Side. Taft St. Restaurant and Bar is excellent. Bosna Gold is also supposed to be very good, and is just down the street.

St. Louis has the largest Bosnian immigrant community in America, and this population is centered in the Bevo neighborhood along Gravois. If you like either Polish/Hungarian style cooking or Greek/Turkish style cooking, I highly recommend the Bosnian Restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis