Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM

70 posts, read 229,265 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved to St Louis from out of state. We bought a home in the city and could not be happier. We love the walkability, culture, and the wonderful neighborhood feel.

I have heard that at one time St Louis was the 4th largest city in the US bit was greatly devastated by a flight to the suburbs. In the 6 months we have been here, it seems that a lot of rehab is occurring. I'd love to get the input of some of you with more experience - is the city still declining (even if more slowly) or has the city hit a turn-around point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
I am so glad you are happy in St. Louis. I think it's such a fabulous city. Where are you living?

I think most of the folks on this forum will agree that St. Louis seems to have hit it's worst point in the 80s/90s and is significantly turning around at this point. In fact, in the most recent census, our population finally went up again after years and years of decline.

There are many and varied reasons why this is. In part, a big part of the urban renewal is a national trend. Empty nesters, singletons and DINKS (dual income, no kids) are moving to the city in droves in pretty much every major US city.

St. Louis is in a good position for that because of the housing stock available -- a lot of other cities don't have the architecture of St. Louis. Hardwood floors and crown molding are way back in style, and so many homes in St. Louis that have been sitting empty or rented out for years still have those fabulous details.

But plenty of the resurgence also has to do with St. Louis' attempts to do what places like Detroit have failed to do -- successfully moving the local economy away from manufacturing. St. Louis still has a significant amount of manufacturing including Ford and Chrysler plants as well as Boeing, but the financial, health care and R&D fields have also been growing.

I'm always surprised by the number of folks we have posting on the board about corporate relos and such -- lots of folks who couldn't have picked St. Louis out on a map last year are now happily settled in places like Tower Grove, the Central West End etc. and wondering why they haven't been there all along LOL.

It's funny because I live in Chicago now, and have a steady barrage of snide St. Louis comments come my way (mostly, I think, because we actually have a quality baseball team capable of winning pennants) but when I sit down with folks and explain why I'll probably move back to St. Louis at some point, when i show them some pics of the neighborhoods and houses I love (and that cost 1/4 what they'd cost in comparable neighborhoods in Chicago) many of them seem amazed and, alas, jealous again!!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 AM

70 posts, read 229,265 times
Our house is in Holly Hills a couple of blocks from Carondelet Park. We looked at a lot of great neighborhoods, and were really undecided on where we would buy (we'd looked at southhampton, tower grove heights, holly hills, st. louis hills, etc.) but a great deal came along and we've been very happy. As a side note, my brother finished grad school recently out of state, and when he came to visit us he fell in love with the city's architecture and has decided to move to the city as well. He is very interested in Tower Grove Heights.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhillstl View Post
As a side note, my brother finished grad school recently out of state, and when he came to visit us he fell in love with the city's architecture and has decided to move to the city as well. He is very interested in Tower Grove Heights.
Yay! Another convert.

I was in an argument with a guy from Chicago recently about St. Louis. He went to Wash U and complained that St. Louis was awful.

He says stuff like "Laclede's Landing is OK, but Union Station is lame." I mean you went to school here for years here and that's the most you saw of St. Louis? It's like going to Chicago and complaining that Navy Pier is a tourist trap ... uhh duh.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,846,425 times
I think St. Louis is going to be okay. I think things will probably hold steady or maybe get a little better in the next couple years. Not St. Louis' fault of course. It's just that the economy has slowed things down everywhere. I do believe St. Louis is extremely underrated, and hopefully people will keep moving in.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM

938 posts, read 3,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I think St. Louis is going to be okay. I think things will probably hold steady or maybe get a little better in the next couple years. Not St. Louis' fault of course. It's just that the economy has slowed things down everywhere. I do believe St. Louis is extremely underrated, and hopefully people will keep moving in.
So true...I've told a few people here that I may be moving to St. Louis and either I'll get a weird look...one guy said "Isn't that the most dangerous city in the USA?" I think the perception of St. Louis, and Missouri for that matter, isn't very good for a lot of people who have never visited. Oh well...maybe housing prices will stay low that way

At the moment it is looking like it will be either St. Louis or Portland, Oregon for me next...Portland would be nice since it is so progressive and the outdoor activities are fantastic, but I'm not sure I want to move that far away from family in MO, and I miss the Ozarks too.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Portland is nice.

Can I bribe you to St. Louis with some gooey butter cake?

http://seattlest.com/attachments/sea...ButterCake.jpg

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM

938 posts, read 3,509,114 times
Gooey Butter Cake? This Ozarkian hasn't heard of it before Looks good though....but you might have to throw in some St. Louis pizza to sweeten the deal a little more!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Gooey Butter Cake? This Ozarkian hasn't heard of it before Looks good though....but you might have to throw in some St. Louis pizza to sweeten the deal a little more!
I'm happy to add some pizza to the deal, but I promise that after you eat gooey butter cake you won't need the pizza -- you'll be ready to settle here immediately

Old 01-16-2009, 02:44 PM

147 posts, read 384,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhillstl View Post
Our house is in Holly Hills a couple of blocks from Carondelet Park. We looked at a lot of great neighborhoods, and were really undecided on where we would buy (we'd looked at southhampton, tower grove heights, holly hills, st. louis hills, etc.) but a great deal came along and we've been very happy. As a side note, my brother finished grad school recently out of state, and when he came to visit us he fell in love with the city's architecture and has decided to move to the city as well. He is very interested in Tower Grove Heights.
FANTASTIC choice!

Welcome to St. Louis - you picked a great neighborhood. Hope you love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis