Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,429 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm interested to move to St. Louis.

What would be a good salary to live OK in ST. Louis?

By "live OK" I mean, to pay a rent for 2 people (my wife and I) with space for 2 medium size dogs; not sure about the zone, I like the zone near from Anheuser Busch head quarters, Sunset Hills or Kirkwood. (Furnished would be great).

Maybe, save some money because I would need a car...

I have no idea about the cost of the services (water, electricity, rent, etc), food, transportation, etc.
Also don't know how much I have to pay for taxes.

They say St. Louis is not expensive city, maybe $55K before taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 04:33 PM

54 posts, read 69,415 times
$55k should be alright.

Rent in St. Louis is volatile based on area and the quality of the units.

A "nice" spot & building (or a decent house) will probably be right around $900 to $1200 monthly. I'm not too sure about the dogs though ... most landlords here will give a solid "no" on multiple dogs, unless the unit is already in bad shape. You might consider purchasing a condo? They can be very affordable even in decent neighborhoods.

You do need a car here, for the most part.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:58 PM

203 posts, read 199,186 times
I have a close friend in Sunset Hills - $55k will not work there, unless it's that little enclave between Kirkwood and Crestwood - that's not the nicest of areas.
Kirkwood - you're closer to your $55k but very limited.
ABINBev area - as this is South STL City, this area is more affordable for the most part and has quaint areas like Soulard, Lafayette Square and Benton Park.
But stay away from Dutchtown and Gravois Park, those areas have become a bit rough.
Good luck!

Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 PM

54 posts, read 69,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
I have a close friend in Sunset Hills - $55k will not work there, unless it's that little enclave between Kirkwood and Crestwood - that's not the nicest of areas.
Kirkwood - you're closer to your $55k but very limited.
ABINBev area - as this is South STL City, this area is more affordable for the most part and has quaint areas like Soulard, Lafayette Square and Benton Park.
But stay away from Dutchtown and Gravois Park, those areas have become a bit rough.
Good luck!

Sunset Hills should work as long as they don't want one of the giant homes. Quick check on Zillow shows Condos for ~$90k (Ex. 11930 Gravois Rd APT 24, Sunset Hills 63127). That should be easily affordable at that income.

There are specific places they can't technically afford, like Clarkson Valley, but should be able to get so close that they won't be able to tell much of a difference.

Last edited by Someboyelse; 03-10-2016 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
I'm not an expert on rent prices. I'd say without kids in the picture that should be fine for you. You can look for a great neighborhood, but no worries on schools, etc. You start to pay more for the great school districts. So, if kids are in the future, STL is relatively affordable, but 55K wouldn't support a family comfortably...it would definitely be paycheck to paycheck IMO. It's not "cheap" here, it's very middle of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis