Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,578,940 times

Advertisements

How do you negotiate salary when the the minimum in the salary range is more than enough for you? I was offered a job last week that is offering $55K+, depending on experience, according to the ad. That is definitely a lot more than I made in the past and certainly above what I would realistically get in most jobs I'm qualified for. Its an accounting position for a small business. It's a long commute so the commuting costs are pretty high (~$300 per month). Should I just accept the $55K? Should I negotiate higher even though I'm more than willing to take $55K? I feel like if I negotiate higher I could set a precedent for higher wages in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 PM

1,274 posts, read 980,812 times
Let them make a first offer to you. Depending on what they say, you will adapt.

You said you were offered the job, but do you mean that you were offered one even though you did not have a proper interview to discuss salary matters?

Last edited by Gasolin; 09-12-2014 at 10:52 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,822,396 times
Once salary is above sufficient it becomes hygenic...that is it has only bad effects if it is not enough.

If you see the salary as sufficient take it and knock them dead. Initial salary is not very important in starting position. Up the levels three or four it is more important...let them demonstrate they want you and appreciate your value. But at the start - be humble and grateful.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 19,160 times
I don't believe in a salary that is 'more than enough for you'. You should get paid what you are worth to an employer. I think if you do not negotiate, you will regret later.

Every single employer leaves room for negotiation while they make an offer. I combined personal experiences and research and wrote a blog post about this. You can check it out here: 3 Common Regrets Following Salary Negotiations

Your starting salary is very important and even a few thousand dollars makes a big difference throughout your career.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:41 AM

1,274 posts, read 980,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmyraduffnyc View Post
I don't believe in a salary that is 'more than enough for you'. You should get paid what you are worth to an employer. I think if you do not negotiate, you will regret later.

Every single employer leaves room for negotiation while they make an offer. I combined personal experiences and research and wrote a blog post about this. You can check it out here: 3 Common Regrets Following Salary Negotiations

Your starting salary is very important and even a few thousand dollars makes a big difference throughout your career.
That's exactly it.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,648,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
How do you negotiate salary when the the minimum in the salary range is more than enough for you? I was offered a job last week that is offering $55K+, depending on experience, according to the ad. That is definitely a lot more than I made in the past and certainly above what I would realistically get in most jobs I'm qualified for. Its an accounting position for a small business. It's a long commute so the commuting costs are pretty high (~$300 per month). Should I just accept the $55K? Should I negotiate higher even though I'm more than willing to take $55K? I feel like if I negotiate higher I could set a precedent for higher wages in the future.
What you made in the past is irrelevant. Salary should reflect what the job is worth, first in the market, and then in that specific company. If you're not comfortable negotiating salary and are happy with it, you can always try negotiating more vacation time.

If you have a couple of years experience, you can say, "Given that I have a couple of years experience, is there room for negotiation on the salary?" If they come back with, "What did you have in mind?" I would say, "I was thinking more in the range of $57 - $59K."

Good luck - please keep us posted!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 AM

928 posts, read 1,102,983 times
Always negotiate and do not accept their first offer. There are soooooo many reasons for this.
First of all, let's say you negotiate $5,000 more than the minimum they offer. That's $5K in your pocket in your first year. With a salary of $55,000 it will take you 2-3 years to earn that $5K if we assume you get a 4-5% CoL increase every year.

Second, of you accept the lowest offer, the employer will resent that because they will think they could have gotten you for cheaper. Also you will resent it down the line because you could have asked for more but chickened out.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,822,396 times
I hired perhaps 300 or 400 engineers over a span of 30 years. I would think we had a dicker in perhaps 10 or 12 cases. Virtually all very senior engineers or engineering managers.

The belief here that employers all expect a dicker is simply untrue. Particularly on junior personnel. You first off start off hiring into generic positions with set pay grades...you might have latitude of a few thousand on the offer but that is it. And you don't mess very much with the classification levels as that can cause bad internal problems down the road.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,578,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Second, of you accept the lowest offer, the employer will resent that because they will think they could have gotten you for cheaper. Also you will resent it down the line because you could have asked for more but chickened out.
I'm not following this logic. I don't see how the employer resents you.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM

249 posts, read 425,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I'm not following this logic. I don't see how the employer resents you.
No, he's making an important point. Imagine you're trying to sell something on eBay and you set a "Buy It Now" price (that is, for those not familiar with eBay, a price where the buyer presses "buy" and the auction is instantly over, with the item sold at the stated price).

Imagine that within minutes of listing the item, someone buys it at your price. What's the first thing going through your mind? "Should have set my price higher!"

And the employer in that story is thinking that he shuld hae made his initial offer lower; he would probably still been able to land the candidate.

So even if the offer is far more than you had imagined making, you still want the employer to think that he got you for a good price. Even a momentary "Well, I suppose that could work," followed by a question about benefits or vacation is better than to enthusiastically accept without reservation. Even a slight frown on your face when you say "OK" is a good idea. Always make the other party think you have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment