Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 19,857 times

Advertisements

My husband just received a job offer in Saint Louis. We have lived in Charlotte, NC, for 5 years and absolutely love it. Are primary concerns with moving:

Finding a great school for our elementary-age children (we are not Catholic, but would consider a Christian school). I'm very involved at our school here, and hope to be wherever our children go.

Finding a United Methodist Church with a very active children's and youth ministry.

Finding a neighborhood with very friendly folks - welcoming and family friendly. Maybe neighborhood pool? Near athletic associations.

Finding a place for my mother, who is 58, to live where other singles her age are active.

We are obviously very hesitant to move, but might not have an option. I really appreciate any feedback on any of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:33 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,844,142 times
I would suggest a private or Catholic school if you plan to live inside the city. I don't know much about St. Louis churches, sorry. There are a lot of friendly neighborhoods in St. Louis. Urban St. Louis - Index can probably help you more than I can.

I would also suggest checking out some of the other threads on this forum for info on singles life.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,065,976 times
Having moved a few times, I can understand and appreciate your hesitation, esp. when potentially facing a move from a place that you know, and enjoy, as a home.

What part of StL is your husband's work location?
Do you desire suburbs or city life more?
How far of a commute do you think your husband would like?

Would your current church have info on others in different areas?
Here is listing for StL itself: Find-A-Church

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:09 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,582,327 times
kellyt: Do need more info as ShadowCaver requests. There are many neighborhoods and suburbs that may fill your needs and desires. Along I-270, which runs basically north and south is in close proximity to many fine neighborhoods and churches. Please provide additional information. Many of us here will be happy to assist you.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM

275 posts, read 1,125,544 times
I'm a Charlotte Native, and lived in NC for 21 years. I've been in Edwardsville, IL for almost 5 years now (just outside of St. Louis), and I love it here. I still have family in Charlotte, Hickory and Greenville, SC. They love visiting here. My parents actually want to move out here.

St. Louis is a great city. You will find it to have many of the same conveniences as Charlotte.

Like Shadow said, we need a little more info on where your husband's job location will be. Our town has a very active FUMC, and they just built a new church to accomodate their growth. Our community is growing, and our public schools are excellent. My children are in elementary school here, and we are very pleased with the schools. Edwardsville also has two great Catholic schools, a great Lutheran school and a Christian school that seems to be growing also. Edwardsville would be to St. Louis what Belmont is to Charlotte. A bedroom community that is about 20 to 30 minutes from the city.

Let us know where your husband's job opportunity is, and we can give you a little more direction. Don't worry about the relo, St. Louis folks are great and the city has a lot to offer for families.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 AM

13 posts, read 49,425 times
I would also like information on active elders. We love StL and are campaigning to get Mom to move here within the next few years... But we aren't her peer group, we're her kids. We want to make sure that she can still have her independance and her fun.

Any thoughts?
WW

Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,844,142 times
50 Plus St Louis for active baby boomers and seniors may have some info.

What exactly does your Mom want? More info would be helpful.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 53,904 times
Hi KellyT, I am a realtor here in STL with Coldwell Banker Premier. Its a nice city with lots to do. In all honesty, STL has some really great areas you may want to look into. The school systems on the other hand aren't that great unless you are looking to put you children in private school. If you aren't looking to do that, your best bets are either the South county areas (Oakville, Mehlville) or West County areas. There are also some great UMC's in the areas and between also. But to meet all your requirements you may want to look into either ST. Charles, or the South County area. They have good schools, friendly neighbors, and a pretty good older crowd. We specialize in relocation to help your move go smoothly as possible. Hope I can be of assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyt View Post
My husband just received a job offer in Saint Louis. We have lived in Charlotte, NC, for 5 years and absolutely love it. Are primary concerns with moving:

Finding a great school for our elementary-age children (we are not Catholic, but would consider a Christian school). I'm very involved at our school here, and hope to be wherever our children go.

Finding a United Methodist Church with a very active children's and youth ministry.

Finding a neighborhood with very friendly folks - welcoming and family friendly. Maybe neighborhood pool? Near athletic associations.

Finding a place for my mother, who is 58, to live where other singles her age are active.

We are obviously very hesitant to move, but might not have an option. I really appreciate any feedback on any of the above.

Last edited by shunda_henderson; 01-26-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis