Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,124 times

Advertisements

So I've been looking online for new places to travel and have repeatedly noticed that downtown St Louis has an active Blues scene. So my questions are these:

1) Can anyone confirm the active blues scene in downtown?
2) If I stay downtown, is it safe to roam the streets at night hopping from bar to bar?
3) ...and for live music, are there any recommendations for blues or even country music?

...any feedback is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,258 times
Great to hear you are coming to STL to hear the blues! Yes we do have an area just south of Busch Stadium downtown that some call the Blues Triangle. Three bars--Beale on Broadway, BBs Jazz Blues and Soups, and Broadway Oyster Bar have music pretty much every night of the week. Mostly blues but also jazz, zydeco, bluegrass, etc. The nearest hotels would be just north of the stadium so not a far walk and pretty safe. Though if you leave the bars late (and all 3 are open till 3 a.m.) you may want to cab it back.

You should also check out Blues City Deli in Benton Park--just southwest of downtown. Great sandwiches and lots of music memorabilia and there are live shows on Saturday afternoons. It's a small joint but the party spills out to the street when the music plays. The owner Vinnie is a really cool dude.

Also there are several bars in the Soulard area just south of downtown with live music. Hammerstone's, 1860's and The Shanti. You'd want to take a cab there and back if you are staying downtown--about $10.

Have fun!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,710,033 times
Have you done the blues highway yet? Memphis, Tunica, Clarksdale, Marigold on Highway 61? I have heard nothing but good things...not to dissuade you from STL. I'll probably do it this summer or fall.

In addition to the places above (I've had fun at all of them!), I'd also mention Jazz at the Bistro and the Gramophone as other live music options that should secondary to the others mentioned above. Although not yet open (and who knows when it will open....), the National Blues Museum will be downtown at some point. I'd make plans to check out some other things STL has to offer during the daytime. At night, I'd just stay aware of your surroundings. Muggings happen.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,183,328 times
Thought OP was talking about the Hockey team. Luckily, that Blues scene is also thriving.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,124 times
Default Perfect!

Just the information I was hoping to get! Thank you all very much for your time and inputs, it looks like a go for St Louis then (weather depending of course)! And I am definitely going to check intonthrnblues highway too. I was in Memphis back in '92 so I'm sure the scene has changed quite a bit since then...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,938,596 times
You could also check out Washinton Ave downtown which is within walking distance to Scottrade. There are a lot of different bars that suit all types. There is also a shuttle that runs to and from Scottrade from the district if you don't want to walk. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis