Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 79,127 times

Advertisements

My 9th grade daughter is a straight A honors student & competitive swimmer. As far a single sex Catholic schools go, we were leaning toward St. Joe's but they do not have a mid-year opening for a freshman. Cor Jesu does. Any other Catholic schools we should consider where our daughter will benefit from a strong swimming program in addition to academics? Also, if we go with a public school, we're looking at Lafayette, Parkway Central & West & maybe Kirkwood. Anyone care to rate or comment on them? Kirkwood seems nice, but is the area seems pretty transitional...

Last edited by Mary-Iris; 11-06-2007 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: mispelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 02:03 PM

147 posts, read 383,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Iris View Post
My 9th grade daughter is a straight A honors student & competitive swimmer. As far a single sex Catholic schools go, we were leaning toward St. Joe's but they do not have a mid-year opening for a freshman. Cor Jesu does. Any other Catholic schools we should consider where our daughter will benefit from a strong swimming program in addition to academics? Also, if we go with a public school, we're looking at Lafayette, Parkway Central & West & maybe Kirkwood. Anyone care to rate or comment on them? Kirkwood seems nice, but is the area seems pretty transitional...
Kirkwood is a great place to live and has an excellent school district. I know many people who are the products of Kirkwood schools and who plan on sending their children there. I wouldn't say that the area is "transitional" at all, and I'm not sure what would give you that impression. You can't go wrong with Kirkwood or Webster Groves - they have much more charm and more of a small town feel than the suburbs that serve the Parkways and Lafayette. I'll be moving to a house in the Webster Groves school district in a few weeks, as a matter of fact.

Cor Jesu is outstanding - St. Joe is a great school, but Cor Jesu is a better school academically speaking (no offense to St. Joe grads - several members of my family went there). If your daughter can get into Cor Jesu, by all means, you should seize the opportunity.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaliviere View Post
Kirkwood is a great place to live and has an excellent school district. I know many people who are the products of Kirkwood schools and who plan on sending their children there. I wouldn't say that the area is "transitional" at all, and I'm not sure what would give you that impression. You can't go wrong with Kirkwood or Webster Groves - they have much more charm and more of a small town feel than the suburbs that serve the Parkways and Lafayette. I'll be moving to a house in the Webster Groves school district in a few weeks, as a matter of fact.

Cor Jesu is outstanding - St. Joe is a great school, but Cor Jesu is a better school academically speaking (no offense to St. Joe grads - several members of my family went there). If your daughter can get into Cor Jesu, by all means, you should seize the opportunity.
I would concur with this post.

What I'll add is that everyone is different and wants something different. Kirkwood and Webster Groves are highly sought after communities, with old historic homes. If you are seeking something more modern and new, then some of those other areas further out may be a better fit for you.

There are other choices....but it seems you've narrowed it down to what you are seeking to this point.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,995 times
If your daughter can get into Cor Jesu, then you really don't need to look any further. It is a great school. You have mentioned Nerinx in earlier posts. That is also a fine school.

The Grantwood Village area around Cor Jesu is very nice. Webster Groves and Kirkwood are nearby, and have a good mix of old and new housing.

Kirkwood is not considered transitional. It has been around for over 100 years, so most of the housing isn't the new suburban tract homes, but it is very safe and the public schools are top notch. In fact, Kirkwood is generally more expensive than the outer sububs because it has a nice downtown area, large historic homes, and a lot of charm. Webster Groves is the same way. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
You asked the exact same thing last week..... what more do you need???

https://www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...rate-them.html

Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for providing greater clarity for me & additional fresh perspectives. It has really helped and now I feel better about Cor Jesu & will circle back to Kirkood to learn more. MoNative34, -- I do not believe I asked the exact same question last week as St. Joe's was in play then & now it is not. That was our #1 choice & I felt the need to make sure I covered all my bases and left no stone uncovered. Moving a family (especilly a newly minted high school girl) is stressful & I'm merely trying to gather/confirm as much feedback as possible. Didn't mean to waste your time.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM

I'm merely a good mom trying to be thorough in my school search for my kids & trying to gather a concensus of opinion. Have you moved your family to a city you have never been to before? For what it is worth, tt can really rattle you.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:08 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Iris View Post
MoNative34, -- I do not believe I asked the exact same question last week as St. Joe's was in play then & now it is not. That was our #1 choice & I felt the need to make sure I covered all my bases and left no stone uncovered. Moving a family (especilly a newly minted high school girl) is stressful & I'm merely trying to gather/confirm as much feedback as possible. Didn't mean to waste your time.
You know what Mary??.... You are absolutely correct with your displeasure in my reply to you. I read your question again and it was just a follow up question, not the exact same question. I'm sorry and I'll eat those words and I'll read what folks say more carefully next time.

In addition to that, you must be nervous and gun shy about moving to a new community and making sure your kids get a quality education. You're obviously a very caring and concerned parent and that's a good thing!

You will like living in West County. It's a nice place to raise kids. I grew up there. Good luck to you and your family with your move and don't be shy to ask anything you would like to know about StL here on CDF.

MoNative34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis