Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,416,618 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My wife and I are returning to STL in August. We have been doing some research on apartment/house rental with the plan being to rent for a year to get settled in the city before buying. We're looking for a 3+BR that accepts dogs, focusing on the following neighborhoods: Soulard, Lafayette Square, CWE, and to a lesser degree Benton Park and U-City.

We have located a few places online, but the pickings are fairly slim. We've tried: Craigslist, Zillow, the RFT, and the Post-Dishrag.

Are there any other good apartment listing resources we're missing?

There seem to be several apartmentfinder type websites, but they focus on large complexes rather than single family homes/townhouses.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:52 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,891,441 times
Yeah larger rentals in the city are going to be harder to come by...especially in the areas you're looking. If you're persistent on craigslist you should find something. You will find more listings in the further south and southwest neighborhoods. If you really want a nice place in the neighborhoods you mentioned, your best bet is to just buy now. Btw my opinion as a non real estate person is to go for Benton Park. It's every bit as walkable and amentity-galore as Soulard and Laf. Square without the extra price tag. The best and safest part is north of arsenal and east of Jefferson.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Yeah larger rentals in the city are going to be harder to come by...especially in the areas you're looking. If you're persistent on craigslist you should find something. You will find more listings in the further south and southwest neighborhoods. If you really want a nice place in the neighborhoods you mentioned, your best bet is to just buy now. Btw my opinion as a non real estate person is to go for Benton Park. It's every bit as walkable and amentity-galore as Soulard and Laf. Square without the extra price tag. The best and safest part is north of arsenal and east of Jefferson.
That's kind of what I figured. Hopefully there is another online resource or two out there I'm unaware of. Two things that will prevent us from buying right now:

1-We really want to live in the area for a year to get a more current feel for everything. We're down there often enough that we're probably better educated about those neighborhoods than 95% of people living in west county, but we need to understand the neighborhoods better on a block by block basis--especially with a 2 year old.

2-My wife has secured a position in Midtown, but I have not gained employment yet. If my job is in West County, there is no way I want to buy a place in Soulard for example. Until we're both locked into employment, and things are obviously working out, I'm not dropping the bucks we want to for a permanent place...especially in this market when things are more difficult to sell if things don't work out.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
Keep an eye on redbrickstl.com. They own a lot of buildings in the nieghborhoods you're looking at. They only have one three-bedroom now and it's in Dogtown. Red Brick Management - St. Louis Apartments, Lofts, Office, Retail Spaces

Also, we just has another poster recently who was looking to move to the county and there were a surprising number of rentals listed on the MLS, so make sure you check out Realtor.com which lists them all.

Best of luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 PM

Don't know how I missed your reply, but thank you very much!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Don't know how I missed your reply, but thank you very much!
You're very welcome. Keep us updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis