Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
STL more in common with Chicago than Louisville? Not a fat chance of anything. Closer to Louisville in size, geography, weather, culture, Catholics, Irish/German heritage, the list goes on!
Size and geography matter not in terms of this discussion.

Chicago is majority Catholic. Louisville is majority Protestant. Chicago has one of the largest Irish populations in the country and German is our most common heritage.

Chicago has Northern Cities Vowel Shift and so does STL. Louisville speaks in a majority Southern accent or Southern influenced Midwest accent. Louisville is mostly White and Chicago and STL are majority Black cities.

So what were these similarities you speak of? Stop trying to make Louisville another St. Louis. STL looks to Chicago as a brother. Louisville looks to either Nashville or Cincy. You'd be better off saying Louisville has more in common with Cincy before you say STL.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 07-01-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 10:14 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Size and geography matter not in terms of this discussion.

Chicago is majority Catholic. Louisville is majority Protestant. Chicago has one of the largest Irish populations in the country and German is our most common heritage. Chicago's weather is humid continental and so is St. Louis. Louisville is humid subtropical.

Chicago has Northern Cities Vowel Shift and so does STL. Louisville speaks in a majority Southern accent or Southern influenced Midwest accent. Louisville is mostly White and Chicago and STL are majority Black cities.

So what were these similarities you speak of? Stop trying to make Louisville another St. Louis. STL looks to Chicago as a brother. Louisville looks to either Nashville or Cincy. You'd be better off saying Louisville has more in common with Cincy before you say STL.
Chicago's weather and St. Louis weather the same, but Louisville different? Might need to recalibrate that. One of these things is not like the other...

https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

I agree with you on the language and religion, but geographically STL and Louisville are on almost identical latitude, are both big river cities, and have identical weather. So geographically and weather-wise, STL is much more like Louisville than Chicago.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Chicago's weather and St. Louis weather the same, but Louisville different? Might need to recalibrate that. One of these things is not like the other...

https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

I agree with you on the language and religion, but geographically STL and Louisville are on almost identical latitude, are both big river cities, and have identical weather. So geographically and weather-wise, STL is much more like Louisville than Chicago.
Fair enough. Didn't realize St. Louis was that hot.

Based on everything else though, I think people from St. Louis will agree there are more Chicago commonalities than Louisville.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Didn't realize St. Louis was that hot.

Based on everything else though, I think people from St. Louis will agree there are more Chicago commonalities than Louisville.
I would, and I think the sports rivalry between the cities and high number of transplants between both adds to that.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I would, and I think the sports rivalry between the cities and high number of transplants between both adds to that.
I will always root against the Cardinals but I won't let my brother city get called Southern. Oh no I have met way too many St. Louis people that do not remind me of anything Southern whatsoever.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:08 PM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
In terms of urban environment, Chicago and StL have massive urban cores by Midwestern standards. Probably because they boomed well before most other cities. Louisville does not have a large core, or so it feels. And Chicago is in a league of it's own...

Both StL and Louisville are river cities, so there are similarities. But they differ in terms of dialect, religion, urban development, and national recognition (good and bad). There is also a large flow of people linking StL and Chicago.

St. Louis is not Chicago. But it's also not Louisville.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:29 PM

What do we mean by river city? Chicago has a huge river that runs right through it.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What do we mean by river city? Chicago has a huge river that runs right through it.
A MAJOR river. Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, etc. Historically, the river cities have been those that grew up because of commerce on the rivers. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans. Chicago's port on Lake Michigan and its railroads had more to do with its growth.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:12 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
In terms of urban environment, Chicago and StL have massive urban cores by Midwestern standards. Probably because they boomed well before most other cities. Louisville does not have a large core, or so it feels. And Chicago is in a league of it's own...

Both StL and Louisville are river cities, so there are similarities. But they differ in terms of dialect, religion, urban development, and national recognition (good and bad). There is also a large flow of people linking StL and Chicago.

St. Louis is not Chicago. But it's also not Louisville.
No....Louisville does have a massive urban core and dense inner ring suburbs. remember, you also have to count new albany, jeffersonville, and clarksville IN.

STL is actually probably a hybrid of Louisville and Chicago...

but weather, people, catholic irish/german culture, etc are the same in both cities. In STL and Louisville, it is also a small town big city. I have lived in both and from Chicago. In Louisville and STL, its all about what Catholic or Jesuit HS you went to. No one would ever ask what HS you went to in Chicago!

I think the only reason people are comparing STL to Chi could be a century plus old baseball rivalry. I could see that. And some of the flats and row houses, although different, can look alike.

But other than that, STL and Louisville are old, industrial, river/steamboat towns trying to reinvent themselves through redevelopment of their riverfront and their inner core, 19th century era neighborhoods.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
No....Louisville does have a massive urban core and dense inner ring suburbs. remember, you also have to count new albany, jeffersonville, and clarksville IN.

STL is actually probably a hybrid of Louisville and Chicago...

but weather, people, catholic irish/german culture, etc are the same in both cities. In STL and Louisville, it is also a small town big city. I have lived in both and from Chicago. In Louisville and STL, its all about what Catholic or Jesuit HS you went to. No one would ever ask what HS you went to in Chicago!

I think the only reason people are comparing STL to Chi could be a century plus old baseball rivalry. I could see that. And some of the flats and row houses, although different, can look alike.

But other than that, STL and Louisville are old, industrial, river/steamboat towns trying to reinvent themselves through redevelopment of their riverfront and their inner core, 19th century era neighborhoods.
Could you please stop saying Louisville has a German and Catholic culture please? It is SOUTHERN and PROTESTANT.

Most surnames are of English descent.

Louisville people are in disagreement about being Northern or Southern. Most lean Southern. St. Louis people don't identify with the South. Do you even love in Louisville because other than the high school loyalty (St X, Trinity, Assumption, Sacred Heart) , a lot of what you are saying seems inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis