Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Most is true, although STL's average snowfall is only a bit less than KC, Cincy, Indy, and Columbus. And it does get more snowfall than places further south in Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Missouri.

Historically, STL used to get much more severe winters. 200 years ago I think the Mississippi froze over pretty frequently every winter...snowfall was much higher too. Winters can get bad with snowfall...30 inches of snow or more is far from unheard of here. There was also the winters of 1978 and 1982, plus that massive snowstorm that just barely missed us but clobbered the rest of Missouri.

A bad summer on average is more common than a bad winter, but both happen fairly often.
A higher elevation is key for those that prefer cooler summer temperatures as well. In much of the East that means an elevation of around 2,000ft or higher to avoid the worst of the heat. Some examples would include: Asheville, NC, Boone, NC, Bluefield, WV, Elkins, WV, Beckley, WV, Crossville, TN, Andrews, NC, Frostburg, MD. In the Upper Midwest examples above 1200-1300ft baseline would include: Rhinelander, WI, Eagle River, WI, Gaylord, MI, Hibbing, MN, and Cadillac, MI.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,277,821 times
One thing I've noticed with summer weather here is that it doesn't last the entire day either. I umpired a baseball tournament this weekend. I was on the field from noon until 8 PM on Saturday, and from 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM on Sunday. I was in the Metro-East area and the high on Saturday was 95, with humidity in the 40's. On Sunday the high on weather channel said 88, but the bank sign when I was leaving at 4:00 PM said 94. The humidity was in the 60's. The was an hour on Sunday when it was really bad, but hour to hour it would change. Any time a breeze picked up or the sun went behind a cloud the comfort level would change drastically. At the end of both days, after being on the field for 8 hours, I did not feel drained. By comparison when umpiring in Phoenix with temps a little over 100, and almost no humidity, I would feel completely exhausted in about 1/2 that time. In Phoenix, Las Vegas, and places like that, it's hot for the entire time. There are no breaks. The sun going behind a cloud (which hardly ever happens anyway because there usually aren't any), does nothing to the "feel" of the weather. When the wind blows it doesn't refresh you, it just feels like when you open an oven door.

So far I much prefer the summers here, even on the hot and humid days.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Me too. It's rarely so hot and humid that I don't want to go outside. I often don't want to go out in winter. The cold definately gets to me more than the heat, although I do like having all four seasons.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM

537 posts, read 818,675 times
St. Louis has the typical Midwest climate. Hot, humid summers, cold snowy winters.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
St. Louis has the typical Midwest climate. Hot, humid summers, cold snowy winters.
It's not that snowy. I actually wish we got more snow. I figure if it's going to be cold, might as well snow.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
One thing I've noticed with summer weather here is that it doesn't last the entire day either. I umpired a baseball tournament this weekend. I was on the field from noon until 8 PM on Saturday, and from 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM on Sunday. I was in the Metro-East area and the high on Saturday was 95, with humidity in the 40's. On Sunday the high on weather channel said 88, but the bank sign when I was leaving at 4:00 PM said 94. The humidity was in the 60's. The was an hour on Sunday when it was really bad, but hour to hour it would change. Any time a breeze picked up or the sun went behind a cloud the comfort level would change drastically. At the end of both days, after being on the field for 8 hours, I did not feel drained. By comparison when umpiring in Phoenix with temps a little over 100, and almost no humidity, I would feel completely exhausted in about 1/2 that time. In Phoenix, Las Vegas, and places like that, it's hot for the entire time. There are no breaks. The sun going behind a cloud (which hardly ever happens anyway because there usually aren't any), does nothing to the "feel" of the weather. When the wind blows it doesn't refresh you, it just feels like when you open an oven door.

As summer progresses you will discover days that don't ever cool down, even at night. Right now it isn't too bad. But it can be bad in July especially. August if we are having a drought, can be awful too. Last year was epic heat. One hopes it won't be so bad this year.

When I worked, I remember in 2006, getting into my car at 5pm and feeling the steering wheel burning my palms like hot pans might. In late summer the hottest part of the day might be around 3 or 4 pm. However, weeks and weeks of this sort of heat are not common. But yes, we do get hot in the summer in St. Louis.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It's not that snowy. I actually wish we got more snow. I figure if it's going to be cold, might as well snow.
They can be snowy. Cold winters here are usually a guarantee...snowy ones are a gamble. Average snowfall is, again, comparable to many areas in the lower Midwest.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:38 AM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 140,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post
Thanks for the input. I am from Northern California and the summer days are dry and hot/scorching heat but very cool in the shade. At night everything cools down and it actually feels pretty cold. I am moving to St Louis this August. That should be interesting...

You won't like it, if you want to be and are used to being or living outdoors.

Reading over all the previous posts something is obvious - opinions vary widely ofen based on past experiences. Your past experience is beautiful CA weather (I've lived in STL and San Fran) and if you like the weather there and if you like being outdoors around the year then you'll find STL weather very limiting. June can be ok or not. September can be OK or not. August is never ok (ok fine a couple of years ago STL had an unprecedented 3 weeks of lower humidity and it was the only August EVER that was ok, so maybe you'll get lucky this year...or not). As said before the weather can be very unpredictable and can change very fast. You'll need to get used to tornado warnings too. STL has some great park like Tilles for example and the free zoo but if you are moving there for work or to start a business you need to ask different questions than how's the weather...STL has some pluses and minuses that may be more important than the temp.

One of the interesting things I find is watching the locals of a given city. For example I was in Vancouver during the summer time and at midday, for lunch, everyone goes outside to eat and enjoy the weather, not so in STL maybe for 4-6 (continuous) weeks in spring and 4-6 weeks in the fall you can then then it is too hot, too humid, too rainy or too cold. Another time I was in Ottawa and Colorado Springs and boulder CO during the winter and people were outside, walking babies, walking to restaurants, enjoying the outdoors. You will not see people enjoying the outdoors on a normal winter day (unless it is a warm spell) in STL. Sure you may find them at hidden valley otherwise we were running to cars, offices, houses and so on to get out of the cold. So yes it gets cold in colorado but people live in it, in STL we hide from it and from humidity. I recall some summers that seemed to extend into late fall due to the higher humidity and then two weeks of really wonderful weather and then BAM it is freezing! A week later it is hot or nice and a week after that it is freezing. I think people get tired of and we all just give up and become couch potatoes - I know BEDROOM community means something different but I felt like STL was a bedroom community - because we hid there from the ever changing weather.

IMHO the weather is difficult and changes quickly, it is not a year round type of climate and the humidity sucks. It is hot here in san antonio but when the sun goes down - it is nice (once the pavement stops smoking ) I'll take a four hot months for guaranteed 60s-80s the rest of the way. I like the predictable nature of the weather here in SA, something you might miss moving from CA to STL.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
The issue here for the original poster, is the adjustment. The original poster considers Northern California's warmer weather to be "scorching," etc...and that is what struck me, because I don't. East Bay, South Bay, etc...has some dry, comfortable warmer weather imo. St. Louis is much more humid more often. That will be an adjustment.

Tolerance is subjective. For me, for example, 116 degree dry heat is tolerable in the shade, not middle of the day sun. It would be less tolerable for others.

San Francisco weather in and of itself is cooler, cloudier, often. I would use the term cold, others may not.

Often times the heat brings sunnier weather too, which I prefer. Every person is different. I prefer 80-85 reasonable humidity, bright sunny blue skies, overnight rain. 60's is too cold for me, and, so are 70's, if...if... that was a year round max.

Sweat doesn't bother me, though I know it bothers many. I don't prefer layers, I don't prefer cold, and most importantly, I don't prefer cloudy, dark. If anything, imo St. Louis is too dark, cloudy, and cold. Dec, Jan Feb will be the challenging months for the original poster, along with July and August. Seasons move quickly, one extreme to another.

But in this thread, for the original poster, the summer humidity will be an adjustment, perhaps mosquitos too. It is not the South though, far from it, but it's also not the Upper Midwest either. 4 seasons, to the extremes, in roughly equal length is Stl weather. The original poster is moving to far less of an extreme than those places, but will still have a deep winter and deep summer adjustment to cold and humidity, a little bit.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
The issue here for the original poster, is the adjustment. The original poster considers Northern California's warmer weather to be "scorching," etc...and that is what struck me, because I don't.
I would also describe it as scorching. I lived in Contra Costa County (about 40 min outside of San Francisco) a few summers ago. During most of July and August the temperatures were at least high 90s if not around 110. I don't care if it is a "dry heat", 110 is still scorching hot. But what was nice about the area was that you could easily escape the heat. On days off from work, we'd hop on the BART, and in 30 minutes we'd be in San Francisco or Berkeley where the temperature was in the 70s/80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis