Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 26,032 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at apartments in the Shaw neighborhood, can anyone comment on the safety? I'm getting mixed reviews of patchiness and crime to the area is not a problem at all on this site. Specifically, the apartments I'm looking at are near the botanical gardens at Tower Grove and Castleman, Russell, Flad, area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
I don't think crime is going to be a major concern in that area (specifically violent crimes) but i'd expect some property crime and vandalism on some occasions. I've got a friend who owns and is renovating a house up there. He's had lots of petty things happen, but can understand them getting under his skin. Typically it was kids jumping his fence and sitting on his motorcycle, tipping over his wife's scooter, etc...The bikes were in a two sided carport with a garage door towards the alley, so there was no immediate access, which I think is what made him more upset...also something about a group of kids on holloween banging on his door and demanding candy even though he wasn't handing any out...(great way to get your house egged) but I think that was more of him being picky than anything else.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
I'm going to get excoriated for this, but expect a lot of property crime.

I have friends and family members in that area. I personally moved my own brother into a place on Shenandoah, just west of Tower Grove Park. Cars will be broken into and stuff left in the yard will get swiped. You accept that if you wish to live there for the cool old houses and the city vibe. It really depends on you. And the houses are as cool as can be and a lot of good things are happening. If you have a liberal bent, it's a happening area.

There are also roving gangs of black youths trolling the area playing the knockout game. I'm not supposed to point that out, but I feel I would be remiss if I did not. I'll probably be banned from CD for that! You probably will not be a victim, but go in with eyes wide open. So cool area, but it is urban and has the charm that goes with that, good and bad.

Last edited by MUTGR; 05-20-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
If you've been victimized by a property crime before, you feel violated. To me, it's very much a factor to where I would want to live. If someone is going to sit on a motorcycle, tip over a scooter, or, as has been the case with myself, broken into a car, then this absolutely merits consideration when it comes to factoring in overall quality of life.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm going to get excoriated for this, but expect a lot of property crime.

I have friends and family members in that area. I personally moved my own brother into a place on Shenandoah, just west of Tower Grove Park. Cars will be broken into and stuff left in the yard will get swiped. You accept that if you wish to live there for the cool old houses and the city vibe. It really depends on you. And the houses are as cool as can be and a lot of good things are happening. If you have a liberal bent, it's a happening area.

There are also roving gangs of black youths trolling the area playing the knockout game. I'm not supposed to point that out, but I feel I would be remiss if I did not. I'll probably be banned from CD for that! You probably will not be a victim, but go in with eyes wide open. So cool area, but it is urban and has the charm that goes with that, good and bad.
Who was ever banned from this forum while discussing the knockout game?

There is petty crime, as well as occasional violent incidences in Shaw and Tower Grove South as is in just about any urban area.

I used to live in the Shaw neighborhood from 1992-95. Shaw wasn't as gentrified as it is now. I was young (I am female) and single but situationally aware. I didn't go walking around by myself after dark. I just was alert to my surroundings at all times. I lived in the neat little apartment building at the corner of Lawrence and Flad, just a block south of the beautiful Flora Place. I absolutely LOVED living in Shaw. My apartment and car was never broken into, was I 'lucky?' I don't know. I knew enough not to ever leave anything in the car ever and it was a standard shift vehicle so the chances of it being stolen were very small.

I find that whether or not you're male or female, if you have a overly worrisome sense of fear, don't move to the city. If you want to try to find *absolute* (whatever that means) safety, move to the suburbs.

But the area you're looking in will so close to the lovely Botanical Garden and Tower Grove Park.
Missouri Botanical Garden
Welcome to Tower Grove Park

You'll be able to walk or ride to TGP for the numerous festivals that happen in the spring and summer. The farmers' market is fabulous!
Tower Grove Farmers' Market

South City is fantastic!!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 PM

34 posts, read 91,843 times
It's a beautiful area with neat architecture! I think that there are a fair amount of property crimes, however. One friend who was a landlord actually had the stained glass windows and AC unit stolen from a vacant house he was trying to rent. I had another friend state that if she wanted to grill on her Weber kettle, she had to do it early in the day so she could bring it in by the time it got dark ... otherwise it would get taken.

I love the botanical garden, though, and it would be awesome to live in close proximity to that. I think it's a sort of situation where you just have to be aware and take extra security measures -- don't leave valuables in your car or out in the yard, etc. As with most neighborhoods, 95% of the people there are awesome, there's just that small minority that causes havoc.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
As others have said, porperty crime occurs at a similar rate to much of the gentrified parts of St. Louis city, but violent crime is quite rare. The homes are lovely, but the area is a little bit sleepy for my personal tastes.

if you've lived in a city neighborhood before and take proper city precautions I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions if you have them!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
The reason you will get mixed reviews about a neighborhood like Shaw is that personal safety and crime level tolerance vary person to person. Most of the posts are spot on. Property crime is definitely a concern. So lockup your valubles, don't leave stuff in your car, get a car and/or house alarm, and carry on.

Violent crime is not common, but it happens. Shaw has a really fantastic housing stock, and being so close to South Grand, Tower Grove Park, and basically the center of south city, is a huge plus. The most telling thing is that I've known people who have lived there for years and years are are very proud and happy with the neighborhood. So I think for people who enjoy city life, Shaw is a great choice.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
I know the city like the back of my hand and will also state you may experience some petty crime but the chances of you being a victim of a violent crime is pretty slim. Yes there were a few incidents of a knockout game but they are very uncommon. It a beautiful area and actually has some great places like Sasha's on Shaw and Sweet Art. You will love the area.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Shaw is about as safe as it gets for the inner S. City neighborhoods. Extending that to include 3 other non-S. City areas as well...Central West End, Skinker-DeBaliviere, DeBaliviere Place, and 10 S. City neighborhoods (BPW, BP, McKinley Hts, TGE, TGS, Soulard, Compton Hts, LaSalle, Lafayette Sq, Fox Park).

Violent crime rate = 53 per 10,000 residents. Lower than any neighborhood on the list besides Compton Heights.

Property crime rate = 631 per 10,000 residents. Lower than all but three: Compton Heights, and the two DeBalivieres.

There are very few parts of the city with lower property crime rates than Shaw, and almost all of them are the neighborhoods in SW city. Crime can vary block to block, but overall, Shaw is very safe by urban standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis