Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,782,758 times

Advertisements

Good lord what a stupid thread. Talk about posting about crap you have no idea about on the internet. This is almost as funny as the guy attempting to write genetic code in the atheist forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,224,066 times
This is a terrible thread. St.Louis has bad areas just like any other city. Go to detroit and then come back to st.louis and be thankful of how lucky you are to be in a city where there is a safe area unlike detroit where you can get mugged at daytime in downtown.

I've also heard st.louis's crime statistics are skewed terribly and st.louis's metro area is safer then most metro areas across the country.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 AM

79 posts, read 119,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Basically, we can expand outward and build new, as opposed to revive old...which has as much to do with urban expansion as government subsidies and personal trends/tastes/desires.
Ah yes, good old urban sprawl.....

Tear down thousands of acres of woods, build homes on flood plains, destroy wildlife habitats, eat up farmland for "developments" of half-million dollar, sprawling, insanely huge homes nobody really needs.....

When we run out of room to grow our own food and we have no wildlife left to speak of, maybe we'll reconsider the greed that pushes so many to run to the country instead of staying where they are and improving where they already live. Stay in town and rehab the home you live in now instead of moving out here to the country, where you then demand all the amenities of the city....and ruin it for those of us who live in the country because it's quiet, sparsely populated, and maybe because we don't want a Starbuck's on every corner or a WalMart within 10 miles of every home! If I wanted to live in the city I'd have moved there. Instead, we chose a home in the country, an hour from the city, which now is only 20 minutes from Wentzville which has more than tripled in size and is home to some of the most rude, obnoxious people I've ever met. Now don't get me wrong...there are nice people in Wentzville, but it was a lot nicer 10 years ago when it was a small town than it is now with the explosion of tract homes and developments built on hundreds of acres of what used to be beautiful wooded areas full of wildlife and nature. Now these places have people complaining that the deer and rabbits eat their $400 bushes and trees; hey, if someone put a free buffet in your front yard, wouldn't you eat?? These animals have roamed the woods for hundreds of years, passing on the knowledge to their offspring, and now because of people ditching the cities instead of staying where they are and improving their own homes, the animals become a "nuisance" and a "bother".....maybe it's not the deer and other wildlife that's a bother. Maybe the $300K homes are the bother. Maybe the needlessly huge dwellings made of chemically-laden products built on clear-cut land that will, in a few years, shift and cause the foundations to crack and flood because the trees that gave the land stability were ripped thoughtlessly out of the ground by the acre instead of carefully in order to maintain the integrity of the land......maybe they're the problem, not the wildlife. Maybe y'all oughta stay in the city and leave the country alone. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. There's plenty of room in the dead miles on and around Grand Blvd between 70 and the Fox Theater.....build a house there, or buy an old one and remodel it instead of destroying a habitat here so you can bring the city out here where we don't want it.

In case there's any doubt, I'm a country girl by heart and I don't like the city encroaching on my space. If I'd wanted to live in the city I'd have moved there. I thought an hour away was far enough.....I guess not so much. It's sad to see what urban sprawl is doing to the rural areas of our country. How long till these developments are too citified and the people move further out, leaving dead spaces here as well? It takes a long, long time for a destroyed habitat to be reclaimed if it can even be done. I get the feeling it won't stop till there isn't any wild country left if the sprawlers have their way.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,752,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkChickenLover View Post
Now these places have people complaining that the deer and rabbits eat their $400 bushes and trees; hey, if someone put a free buffet in your front yard, wouldn't you eat?? These animals have roamed the woods for hundreds of years, passing on the knowledge to their offspring, and now because of people ditching the cities instead of staying where they are and improving their own homes, the animals become a "nuisance" and a "bother".....maybe it's not the deer and other wildlife that's a bother. Maybe the $300K homes are the bother.
I know! I find this absolutely hilarious. If you wanted deer-free streets, lightening-fast internet, and 3 coffee shops within a mile radius you should have moved closer in. The complaining is actually quite entertaining.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkChickenLover View Post
Ah yes, good old urban sprawl.....

Tear down thousands of acres of woods, build homes on flood plains, destroy wildlife habitats, eat up farmland for "developments" of half-million dollar, sprawling, insanely huge homes nobody really needs.....

When we run out of room to grow our own food and we have no wildlife left to speak of, maybe we'll reconsider the greed that pushes so many to run to the country instead of staying where they are and improving where they already live. Stay in town and rehab the home you live in now instead of moving out here to the country, where you then demand all the amenities of the city....and ruin it for those of us who live in the country because it's quiet, sparsely populated, and maybe because we don't want a Starbuck's on every corner or a WalMart within 10 miles of every home! If I wanted to live in the city I'd have moved there. Instead, we chose a home in the country, an hour from the city, which now is only 20 minutes from Wentzville which has more than tripled in size and is home to some of the most rude, obnoxious people I've ever met. Now don't get me wrong...there are nice people in Wentzville, but it was a lot nicer 10 years ago when it was a small town than it is now with the explosion of tract homes and developments built on hundreds of acres of what used to be beautiful wooded areas full of wildlife and nature. Now these places have people complaining that the deer and rabbits eat their $400 bushes and trees; hey, if someone put a free buffet in your front yard, wouldn't you eat?? These animals have roamed the woods for hundreds of years, passing on the knowledge to their offspring, and now because of people ditching the cities instead of staying where they are and improving their own homes, the animals become a "nuisance" and a "bother".....maybe it's not the deer and other wildlife that's a bother. Maybe the $300K homes are the bother. Maybe the needlessly huge dwellings made of chemically-laden products built on clear-cut land that will, in a few years, shift and cause the foundations to crack and flood because the trees that gave the land stability were ripped thoughtlessly out of the ground by the acre instead of carefully in order to maintain the integrity of the land......maybe they're the problem, not the wildlife. Maybe y'all oughta stay in the city and leave the country alone. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. There's plenty of room in the dead miles on and around Grand Blvd between 70 and the Fox Theater.....build a house there, or buy an old one and remodel it instead of destroying a habitat here so you can bring the city out here where we don't want it.

In case there's any doubt, I'm a country girl by heart and I don't like the city encroaching on my space. If I'd wanted to live in the city I'd have moved there. I thought an hour away was far enough.....I guess not so much. It's sad to see what urban sprawl is doing to the rural areas of our country. How long till these developments are too citified and the people move further out, leaving dead spaces here as well? It takes a long, long time for a destroyed habitat to be reclaimed if it can even be done. I get the feeling it won't stop till there isn't any wild country left if the sprawlers have their way.

You forgot to type "End Rant" at the bottom of your message.

I can agree with your assessment, you don't like having extravagant/expensive homes sitting in what previously beautiful country. Quite personally, I'd love to have a "modest" 2000 SF home sitting on about 5-6 acres, partially wooded would be great!

I like amenities, but really could care less about having numerous walmarts to choose from, and I hate coffee like the plague (my wife likes it, but would rather brew her own). What I was stating was that this isn't something new, it's been going on for ages, people build new homes in new locations, they expand out from the urban core. Eventually you'll see this trend reverse, but that won't happen until some outside event causes these homes to be either unattainable, or undesirable.

You'll see revivals in the urban areas as well, but these revivals will anger and upset just as many urban proponents as suburban sprawl upsets those who prefer more tranquil country settings.

I'd love to see the North side of St. Louis go through a major revival, including new "urban architecture" throughout, densly populated (new town-esqe) homes, parks, walking/bike paths, shopping, etc etc etc...and you could even leave/rehab numerous older structures as well in the process...then the question is, where do the low income families move once the renovated area is sustainable?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,713 times
FlynavyJ...
If you are rich... you could easily buy up North St. Louis. The houses and land is super cheap. Many times I saw large 4-5 bedroom homes 2-3 stories tall for only a few thousand dollars maybe up to 10k at most. Heck, buy a few blocks, take out the streets and have a LARGE YARD!!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy_78 View Post
FlynavyJ...
If you are rich... you could easily buy up North St. Louis. The houses and land is super cheap. Many times I saw large 4-5 bedroom homes 2-3 stories tall for only a few thousand dollars maybe up to 10k at most. Heck, buy a few blocks, take out the streets and have a LARGE YARD!!!!

Wouldn't be bad... But If i did it right, I could purchase several blocks, petition the city to remove some of the streets, fence it off, bring in some mature trees, then build a home like some of the ones on Ward Parkway in Kansas City...I'd be the "mansion" of the northside

Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM

30 posts, read 43,233 times
St Louis does, in parts, look like Detroit unfortunately. St Louis in a lot of ways has catching up to do to Kansas City in respect to it's "third world looking parts" In comparing the two cities, KC looks wealthier, cleaner and much more prosperous than St Louis city.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM

38 posts, read 40,506 times
Parts of the city remind me of the Battle of Berlin with all the buildings falling apart.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM

50 posts, read 82,559 times
Some other aspects of Saint Louis that are not given the attention they deserve:

St Louis Ranks 7th in Convio's Annual Ranking of Most Generous Online Cities

Charity Navigator Ranks St. Louis 3rd in Effectiveness of Charities They looked at 30 metro markets and ranked Saint Louis charities 3rd nationwide in financial, accountability and transparency practices.

Saint Louis Ranks 10th Nationwide in Volunteerism Corporation for National and Community Service region ranks the Greater Saint Louis area 10th in the country based on the percentage of people volunteering their time, with just under a third of the population doing so.

While there are some areas of Saint Louis that need to be improved, we are a community that values serving others. Considering we are the 18th largest MSA in the US, these stats are very impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis