Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM

105 posts, read 160,042 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'd like to sell my house in Ballwin. I'm trying to create a list of my preferred realtors. But I haven't been able to find a way to rate the realtors that I've been calling.

How can I determine that a given realtor is a good one? Is there a website that shows their ratings?

I'd appreciate your tips!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 AM

132 posts, read 389,983 times
That's a tough one. I can't personally recommend any realtors for that area. Phone interviews are not always helpful, but here are some questions to consider, if you haven't seen this link yet: Interview a Real Estate Agent - How to Interview a Real Estate Agent

Word of mouth might be best for your situation. Talk to your neighbors and friends in the area. Who did they use, or who have they heard about? Pay attention to signs on other homes for sale. Is there a particular person a lot of people are choosing? Do you prefer a certain real estate company? Consider going to some open houses in your area and meeting realtors that way, just to get a feel for their personalities and what they do to "show" a home. Also, view listings of any potential realtors to see if you think their listings have good photos and a meaningful description about the property. You'll want a realtor who invests a lot of time into marketing your home.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 AM

105 posts, read 160,042 times
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm stuck with another quandary and would appreciate your help:

I went out and interviewed realtors to sell my house. Most of them say that if they find a buyer, their commission will be less than the standard 6%.

However, the realtor that I liked the most says that they will charge the same commission even if they find the buyer i.e. 6% in any case. This realtor has a "team".

What should I do? Can you offer any tips for negotiation? Should I not go with this realtor even though I like them?

They also have a program where they charge $250 to give an extra boost to my house. The $250 will be put in a pot of $10,000. Any agent bringing a buyer to my house will be added to a drawing to win this $10,000 for cash. Is it worth spending $250 extra for a "chance to get my home sold faster"?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 PM

132 posts, read 389,983 times
There's a few realtors on this list...maybe someone else will chime in with advice. In the meantime, here's my 2 cents.

What do you mean by the realtors "finding" a buyer? Do you mean that your realtor represents both the buyer and the seller? I'm not a fan of that practice, b/c I really don't believe that the seller and buyer can be represented equally by the same person. I think you might be better represented as the seller, but you wouldn't want your agent giving a buyer too much info about your situation (i.e. why your selling, any negatives about the house you made in passing, etc.).

If you particularly like one realtor, I'd say go with your gut instinct. Many realtors have teams, but usually the agent is still your go-to-person. I would only be leery of this if you feel like you would never see or hear from your agent again until closing. You don't want to deal with assistants for everything.

And finally, the only incentive program I'm sort of familiar with is the CBG "10G" thing. Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra money. It might get more CBG agents to show clients your home, but it won't make anyone *buy* your home.

Lastly, let me recommend the realtor Sandie Hea--she tells you like it is, and she will be 100% on your side as a seller:
St. Louis Missouri Real Estate - The Sandie Hea Team Real Estate

I wasn't sure if she sold a lot of homes in your area, but I just saw this one online (she's a well-known realtor in the city and inner suburbs):
930 Hanna Valley Estates Drive Ballwin Home for Sale - The Sandie Hea Team Real Estate (http://www.sandiehearealestate.com/property/930-Hanna-Valley-Estates-Drive-Ballwin-Missouri - broken link)

Good luck with whatever you choose. It's a tough time to sell a house.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,049,564 times
fwiw... unless a realtor is SPECIFICALLY a buyer's agent, both sides technically work for the seller as the commission comes from the seller....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis