Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
I call that a ruining public schools thing, not a way of life thing. And it is totally unacceptable civic behavior.
Parents making decisions they deem in the best interests of their children is "..unacceptable civic behavior."

Wow. Our country really is doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Parents making decisions they deem in the best interests of their children is "..unacceptable civic behavior."

Wow. Our country really is doomed.
It may sound like an extreme case when spoken of specifically. But in the broad scope I do believe the too many people, myself included at times, want laws and regulations that benefit them personally, but not society in general. There are also those that recognize the benefit to overall society but only if the needed change does not directly impact them personally. As George Carlin put, NIMBY, Not In My Back Yard.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
It may sound like an extreme case when spoken of specifically. But in the broad scope I do believe the too many people, myself included at times, want laws and regulations that benefit them personally, but not society in general. There are also those that recognize the benefit to overall society but only if the needed change does not directly impact them personally. As George Carlin put, NIMBY, Not In My Back Yard.
Maybe the greatest commentator on the human condition, scocar....

George Carlin - NIMBY (RUsub) - YouTube

Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM

^ Thanks Mike. It never gets old listening to that bit, or many others.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Ok, but it could be argued that the civically unacceptable behavior with public schools in urban districts is not the parents who pulled their kids out but the parents whose kids are out of control, not interested in education, who have no rules or supervision at home or outside, are disruptive of class, etc. We have in STL an issue with kids playing the knockout game, which is a nice way of saying they assault and attempt to kill innocent victims. Some posters suggested the incidents involve, in particular, Roosevelt High School in the City. Is the problem the parents who live in the Roosevelt district who sent their kids to Catholic schools or somewhere else or the (minority) of parents whose kids are engaging in this activity? Which one is the civically unacceptable behavior?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Ok, but it could be argued that the civically unacceptable behavior with public schools in urban districts is not the parents who pulled their kids out but the parents whose kids are out of control, not interested in education, who have no rules or supervision at home or outside, are disruptive of class, etc. We have in STL an issue with kids playing the knockout game, which is a nice way of saying they assault and attempt to kill innocent victims. Some posters suggested the incidents involve, in particular, Roosevelt High School in the City. Is the problem the parents who live in the Roosevelt district who sent their kids to Catholic schools or somewhere else or the (minority) of parents whose kids are engaging in this activity? Which one is the civically unacceptable behavior?
Clearly the more civically unacceptable behavior is the kids doing the bad things and the parents allowing it. I understand when parents pull their kids out of schools that have bad elements. I would likely do the same, if I thought it was in the best interest of my children. I just get annoyed when people then look at the test scores at those schools and blame the school, teachers, and administrators.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think the vast majority of people participating in this thread generally feel the same about this issue.

And maybe I missed it scocar, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread blaming the teachers for the problems in the city schools. If you took any of my posts as such, I apologize, and it was not intended.

There is empirical evidence to support the fact that the city has a harder time attracting and keeping talented teachers (the idea of me at 22 doing Teach for America -- which I genuinely considered -- when I had no education or experience that qualified me to teach being a perfect example of this, honestly), but that doesn't mean they are the or even a key problem with the schools. I still see this as more of an administrative/money issue than a teaching problem.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Clearly the more civically unacceptable behavior is the kids doing the bad things and the parents allowing it. I understand when parents pull their kids out of schools that have bad elements. I would likely do the same, if I thought it was in the best interest of my children. I just get annoyed when people then look at the test scores at those schools and blame the school, teachers, and administrators.
Well, let me be clear, I do not blame the teachers or schools. I think they have almost an impossible job in the toughest, poorest urban schools. I think some of them, perhaps many of them, are doing great work in almost impossible situations.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think the vast majority of people participating in this thread generally feel the same about this issue.

And maybe I missed it scocar, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread blaming the teachers for the problems in the city schools. If you took any of my posts as such, I apologize, and it was not intended.

There is empirical evidence to support the fact that the city has a harder time attracting and keeping talented teachers (the idea of me at 22 doing Teach for America -- which I genuinely considered -- when I had no education or experience that qualified me to teach being a perfect example of this, honestly), but that doesn't mean they are the or even a key problem with the schools. I still see this as more of an administrative/money issue than a teaching problem.
And there is where we disagree. I see it as more of a student body/parent problem. The empirical evidence would have to include some definition or measurement of what a "talented teacher" is. There are many teachers that have masters degrees. They know all the cool teacher lingo like spiraling, pedagogy, and differentiated instruction. They can talk the talk, and based on test scores at good schools, they seem to walk the walk. But to be a truly "talented teacher" you have to have something that college courses CANNOT teach you. You have to have an ability to relate to students. You have to get students to trust you. There is a great saying that goes: "Kids don't care what you know, until they know that you care". So it's very likely that you could have gone through Teach America, and been a better teacher in 2-3 years than many teachers that have 10 years experience and a doctorate degree. I've taught with many teachers. Those with master's degrees, usually have been worse teachers than those without. As a teacher you get a very minimal bump in pay when you get your masters degree. It's actually a poor financial decision as a teacher to get a masters degree. The ones that make that choice are usually trying to get into administration, where the pay bump actually warrants the money spent to get the masters degree. So they are teachers that don't really want to remain teachers. I'm willing to bet these "empirical studies" are basing "talented" on education level. Well I can tell you that if that is the case then the evidence is meaningless.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I'm sorry, but when my wife is teaching 7th and 8th grade mathematics to a bunch of 20-30 year old college students because they never received the fundamentals during their primar education, there is clearly a problem! This problem is evidenced by the administrations, faculty, parents, and students, plus the policies of the various public education venues that ALLOWED these children to be passed on to the next grade level instead of forcing remedial education when it could have done some good. I can't imagine having four mathematics courses to complete before being allowed and deemed capable of taking college algebra!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis