Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM

14 posts, read 35,576 times

Advertisements

To begin...

I'm sort of a "soccer convert"... discovered the game, love to watch EPL, Champions League, etc (can't play it, but thats another story)

I was hoping to see some sort of high level team here in St Louis.
I know that Jeff Cooper and others were trying to get a Major League Soccer team based in Collinsville, and that AC St Louis, a Division 2 team, just folded. Very unfortunate, as STL is a great soccer town that deserves an MLS team (more than Vancouver or Portland or a 2nd New York team)

So just wondering...idk if anyone knows much about the topic, but what are the odds of us getting an MLS team in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 PM

264 posts, read 700,134 times
AC St Louis folded? Damn that sucks I was friends with a couple of guys that played.

Like I posted before I'm kind of surprised St Louis doesn't have an MLS side with some great soccer schools and a highly reputed goal keeping academy here. Seeing as how the MLS is not looking at an expansion in the near future its kind of tough to get a new team here.

I did drive upto KC once to watch Beckham play when the galaxy were in town and when Man United were touring in the US.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM

116 posts, read 211,493 times
St. Louis will not get an MLS team at this point for the following reasons:

-No venue: A few have been proposed, but nothing is concrete or close to reality.
-Big money owner: While Cooper is a rich man, he is not Stan Kroenke rich. He does not have the money to run a lower level team like AC St. Louis or the Athletica.
-While St. Louis is a great soccer town, lately, the support for 'pro' soccer has not been up to par with other cities.
-MLS seems to be soured on STL, after dealing with Cooper and not getting anywhere. They love the west coast and east coast. Lately, expansion has focused on those areas.

-The MLS saga in St. Louis has had many ups (at least I thought) and more downs. At one point Cooper's Collinsville project was a go, that failed. He started the Athletica and AC St. Louis. Then 2 English investors took the team under. He also flirted with Pujols owning part of the team, which was obviously a PR stunt. He was given the soccer park as a donation to STL Soccer United, by AB. The rumors swirled that they could revamp that venue into a true MLS venue. Nothing!
Then Ryan Woods, a local developer got us all excited with a proposed venue in Richmond Heights. That fell through. That always seemed shady, due to the fact he never met with Cooper on the deal.
Now we have no 'pro' soccer teams of note and no hope of an MLS team. Pretty sad for a city full of soccer fans, great amateur programs and a rich history that is second to none. MAYBE ( I'm just trying to remain positive) someday, some big money investor will see the potential and invest in soccer in St. Louis. Some feel the Fenton Chrysler location would be ideal for Rams football and a pro soccer venue. Maybe one in the same. We can only hope.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
I agree. St. Louis has a large soccer fan base and an MLS team would do very well here. But I don't see MLS in the near future for the reasons Dogtown mentioned. Hey I wonder if that Khan guy who wanted to buy the Rams likes soccer?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM

396 posts, read 653,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogtownBnR View Post
St. Louis will not get an MLS team at this point for the following reasons:

-No venue: A few have been proposed, but nothing is concrete or close to reality.
-Big money owner: While Cooper is a rich man, he is not Stan Kroenke rich. He does not have the money to run a lower level team like AC St. Louis or the Athletica.
-While St. Louis is a great soccer town, lately, the support for 'pro' soccer has not been up to par with other cities.
-MLS seems to be soured on STL, after dealing with Cooper and not getting anywhere. They love the west coast and east coast. Lately, expansion has focused on those areas.

-The MLS saga in St. Louis has had many ups (at least I thought) and more downs. At one point Cooper's Collinsville project was a go, that failed. He started the Athletica and AC St. Louis. Then 2 English investors took the team under. He also flirted with Pujols owning part of the team, which was obviously a PR stunt. He was given the soccer park as a donation to STL Soccer United, by AB. The rumors swirled that they could revamp that venue into a true MLS venue. Nothing!
Then Ryan Woods, a local developer got us all excited with a proposed venue in Richmond Heights. That fell through. That always seemed shady, due to the fact he never met with Cooper on the deal.
Now we have no 'pro' soccer teams of note and no hope of an MLS team. Pretty sad for a city full of soccer fans, great amateur programs and a rich history that is second to none. MAYBE ( I'm just trying to remain positive) someday, some big money investor will see the potential and invest in soccer in St. Louis. Some feel the Fenton Chrysler location would be ideal for Rams football and a pro soccer venue. Maybe one in the same. We can only hope.
I am a die hard footy fan (see my screen name), not necessarily MLS because quite frankly the product is still evolving. In Europe most of the MLS would be second division or fighting relegation.

Not saying I would not love a team, but St. Louis has been jerked around a lot by Garber.

The Collinsville project did not fail, it was contingent on getting an expansion team, which never materialized.

Lots of mixed stories on the English investors, I think they were more style than substance.

Inbev did not want anything to do with the soccer park which is why they gave it to STL Soccer United, I don’t think Cooper had any plans for it beyond a training facility (and the role it currently plays in youth soccer) It just is in a less than desirable spot and a crowd of 2,000 there can create traffic nightmares. The bugs and humidity that seem to gravitate from the nearby Meramec just make it worse.

Lots of places had no stadiums and no owners, but Garber liked them, and they got teams. He actively recruited Drew Carry to become part owner of the Sounders. Made sure that San Jose got reinstated after a disaster run their first time out. Shells out millions for European players past their prime (Beckham, Henry) while he lets American talent wane or play in Europe.

Not to say Cooper is a victim, he is smart and passionate, yet makes decisions that make me scratch my head. Woods never really had wheels underneath him.

I say we will get a team, don't know when, the fact that we don’t is paramount to Green Bay not having the Pack or LA without the Lakers.

Passion here runs strong. St. Louis is the cradle of American soccer

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I know absolutely nothing about this subject, but I really like soccer, so keep talking and informing me

Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM

116 posts, read 211,493 times
^^ I would have to think that the Collinsville project is dead, considering the tight credit markets, questionable location and Cooper's questionable financing. Most fans on the West side would take the Collinsville project over nothing, but still prefer not to drive over there for soccer. Only because a large portion of the fanbase is traveling from STL County and in some cases, far West County, even St. Charles. A more central location is preferable, Downtown or in the City, for instance. I think the Hadley location was prime!

Regarding Soccer Park, the hope was a land acquistion beyond the soccer park. Use the current facility to compliment the MLS stadium.

Regarding Garber, he may have jerked us around, but why wouldn't he considering the lack of/questionable ownership situation here.

Even if you don't follow MLS, it is a great way to get EPL teams and national teams here for Friendlys, qualifiers, exhibition games, to compliment the MLS teams schedule. Would be awesome to see Real Madrid, Man U, Bayern Munich, Inter or AC Milan.

PS- I assume you are a Man U fan...come on.. root for an underdog!
I support Wolves and Everton. If I had to choose a front-runner, it would be Arsenal.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I would love for STL to get a team because it would finally give us a true rival and short road trip. Right now, we have to travel 8-10 hours for the closest road trip. I drove to Chicago 3 weeks ago for a game and that drive is way too long.

After the whole AC St. Louis disaster, it is going to be a long time until they can get a team. I dont think Cooper is the answer unless he can attract a lot of big money investors.

Right now, Montreal is set to be the 19th team next season and NY2 aka the Cosmos will be in 2013 or 14. After that, I see the MLS pausing expansion and stabilizing what the have before adding 2 to 4 more teams and stopping for good. Chivas is the one team that could end up relocating at some point so that could be a possibility as well.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 PM

135 posts, read 248,184 times
There are so many areas in St. Louis proper you could put this venue instead of Collinsville. I think St. Louis will eventually get a team.

Anyone catch the Timbers/Fire match last night?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
There are so many areas in St. Louis proper you could put this venue instead of Collinsville. I think St. Louis will eventually get a team.

Anyone catch the Timbers/Fire match last night?

It's never about where to put it but rather how to fund it. We have seen so many SSS deals in MLS fail because funding didnt come through. We had three in Kansas City alone before one finally stuck. DC is on their 6th plan, I believe. Getting a stadium built is difficult, especially in this economic climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis