Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 AM

150 posts, read 243,934 times

Advertisements

Not to throw a negative vibe into this, but I assume the blogger used the census data for his "analysis." Aren't those the same data that some of the posters in this thread were calling bogus when the census showed the city as losing population? I'm not sure how data can be valid when it supports what you want but also bogus when it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,652 times
Not sure why you thought that was necessary but no neither of my links were 2010 census data.

The link in the OP actually does not list his source in that post although some digging through the site may uncover it. Regardless it was from October 2010, well before census data was released.

The USAToday article I posted today comes from:

Quote:
Source: Analysis of data from 2000 Census and 2005-2009 American Community Survey by Impresa for CEOs for Cities

Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I would expect, topospace, that some of the percentages are off -- I think that's a totally fair point -- but the raw numbers should be pretty accurate. The upwardly mobile, educated, young adult set are clearly the easiest to count (and the most willing to be counted).

Old 04-02-2011, 02:58 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
The article is no suprise. Considering the type of city St. Louis is and what it has to offer. It goes to show that the city is one of the best kept secrets in the country.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
Doesn't surprise me, the variety and number of schools around here is outstanding.

Plus if a student doesn't do well in High School or they're not ready for college, they can simply do two years at STLCC and the transfer to another school is easy and painless. If a student works hard they can attend a school like WashU straight out of community college. I don't know many other states where community college students have the opportunity to attend great schools like WashU or SLU.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 AM

^Not to be a naysayer, but I have a very hard time imagining a community college student getting accepted to Wash U. The salutatorian at my high school had a 4.6+ GPA and was involved in every activity known to man and she was wait listed (though eventually did get in) to Wash U.

SLU I could totally believe, however.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM

24 posts, read 64,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Oh dear god, don't read the comments.
rushes to read the comments

eh, they're pretty accurate unfortunately

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM

24 posts, read 64,805 times
Quote:
^Not to be a naysayer, but I have a very hard time imagining a community college student getting accepted to Wash U. The salutatorian at my high school had a 4.6+ GPA and was involved in every activity known to man and she was wait listed (though eventually did get in) to Wash U.

Agreed, but why does everyone put so much emphasis on wash u? People talk about it like it's harvard or yale. Sure it's a better than average school (one of the best in medical) but you're not going to get double the salary or anything compared to SLU or even UMSL unless you're going into a medical field.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 AM

Wash U has a national and international reputation. They may not be Ivy League but they're certainly on par with places like the University of Chicago, Duke and Cornell.

Whether you find them worthy of the tuition is a decision anyone who is accepted must debate for themselves, but that's no different than rationalizing the costs of any other prestigious school in the country, including Harvard.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
Quote:

There is a huge difference between high school students and transfer students. Much easier to transfer somewhere then go straight out of high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: