Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Place to move with 3 young children (under 12 yrs. of age)?
St. George, Utah 10 38.46%
Ivins, Utah 3 11.54%
Las Vegas, NV (Summerlin) 8 30.77%
None of the above 6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:42 AM

62 posts, read 427,971 times

Advertisements

Hi,
To anyone who lives in St. George, Utah I need your help. Tell me what it truly is like to live there being a non-Mormon. I keep hearing about the huge Mormon influence, but how does that affect the rest of us as a minority ? Are we excluded from activities (or our children) or shunned by the community for being different ? Or pressured into joining their faith all the time ? What is it like - does the town shut down on Sundays ? What is there to do (activity wise) for young kids (aged 4-12 years) - any fun things out there ? What about sports, are they big on that out there ? Anyone familiar with Ivins as well ? Thank you for any info. you could provide me.
I am debating between this area and possibly Las Vegas (summerlin) to move to and want to get as much info. from the locals before deciding. Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 37,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post

Hi,
To anyone who lives in St. George, Utah I need your help. Tell me what it truly is like to live there being a non-Mormon. I keep hearing about the huge Mormon influence, but how does that affect the rest of us as a minority ? Are we excluded from activities (or our children) or shunned by the community for being different ? Or pressured into joining their faith all the time ? What is it like - does the town shut down on Sundays ? What is there to do (activity wise) for young kids (aged 4-12 years) - any fun things out there ? What about sports, are they big on that out there ? Anyone familiar with Ivins as well ? Thank you for any info. you could provide me.
I am debating between this area and possibly Las Vegas (summerlin) to move to and want to get as much info. from the locals before deciding. Thanks again.

I moved to St George with my husband 2 years ago . I am non mormon and came here from England. For me it has been a major culture change just coming to the USA. We personally have no problem being non-mormon but we do not have children so I am unable to comment with regards to having young children in this area. We have recently moved from Santa Clara to Ivins and have personally had no issues with being pressured into joining the LDS faith , in fact we had more of a problem in England with the vast door knocking that they do.
I liked Santa Clara but much prefer Ivins as feel that it less conservative and more diverse . The weather is great so there are many outdoor activities available. We do find that the mormons whilst making excellent neighbours do not really mix with us on a social level. My husband was brought up in the LDS faith (practices no longer) and has family in the St George area.We have found that some family members have more of a problem with us not being members than anyone else that we have come across. So, on the whole we find it a great area to live and are very pleased that we came.
Sunday's are a great time to shop as alot of the people are in church. There are a few local owned stores that are shut but I have never found it to be an issue and have been able to get everything that I need.
Do not know much about Las Vegas as only visit to shop but personally would not like to live there as it is far to busy for me.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 AM

28 posts, read 199,998 times
I'm a Mormon, but will answer anyway. There is tons of stuff for kids to do. Organized city league soccer, t-ball and flag football are available. No practices or games on Sunday, though. Sand Hollow pool in Santa Clara has swim lessons and swimming. St. George City has a pool in town that has a water slide. The library has activities. The dinosaur farm is cool. Middle school's have all sports. I'm sure things like piano lessons, ballet, tumbling, ect are somewhere. I have boys, so I'm not as familiar with those activites. Cub Scouts for 8 year olds is available through any LDS church group, and I think the Elks sponsors a non-denominational pack. If you get active in even some activities, your family will be busy. You won't be excluded from anything. I can't tell you what it is like to be a non-Mormon, but I can tell you about living here. Be active. Don't sit back and wonder what's going on. Volunteer with the PTA. Ask questions. Be outgoing. Alot of new people move here every day and being new here is not what it used to be. In my neighborhood, most people are from somewhere else, so I'm the minority, and I've lived here for 25 years. If people don't introduce themselves, it may be because they are new also. St. George is a great place to live and you will find friends here. Your kids will only have to be the 'new kids' for a few weeks and someone else will be 'it'. Subscribe to the local paper and visit a couple times and ask questions. I can't tell you that no one will ask about the LDS church. Someone will, just be honest in your answer. We lived in the Pine View area when our kids were in middle and high school and am partial to the east side of town. Why are you particular to Santa clara or Ivins? Just curious. As far as Las Vegas, I work there but wouldn't give you a nickel for the whole valley. Too many people, high housing prices, bad traffic, etc. Not my cup of tea. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:16 PM

The reason Las Vegas is in the mix - it seems like there is more going on, fun things, activities for the kids (vs. St. George, might get too boring). Actually I am finding the prices in Vegas a lot lower than St. George as well. I am trying to get as much info. on both as possible....

Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,906,292 times
Quote:
The reason Las Vegas is in the mix - it seems like there is more going on, fun things, activities for the kids (vs. St. George, might get too boring). Actually I am finding the prices in Vegas a lot lower than St. George as well. I am trying to get as much info. on both as possible....
Be aware that the crime rate is much higher in Vegas. I'm sure that it is starting to spill into St. George as well.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,303 times
My sister and her husband bougth a small 1 acre ranch just outside of St. George, 3 years ago. They love the climate and the topography. My wifes husband has had no issues with the LDS people. My sister however has. She works in an environment where they have become somewhat hostile towards her. Comming from California, she never thought that any particular religion could have such an influence on the everyday affairs in a given area/community. I personally don't have any experience with the Mormons. I have however heard about the stuff going on in Hilldale/Clorado City, which I find extremely disgusting. Sounds like the kind of place that needs a good "Bull-dozing"!!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,733,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
My sister and her husband bougth a small 1 acre ranch just outside of St. George, 3 years ago. They love the climate and the topography. My wifes husband has had no issues with the LDS people. My sister however has. She works in an environment where they have become somewhat hostile towards her. Comming from California, she never thought that any particular religion could have such an influence on the everyday affairs in a given area/community. I personally don't have any experience with the Mormons. I have however heard about the stuff going on in Hilldale/Clorado City, which I find extremely disgusting. Sounds like the kind of place that needs a good "Bull-dozing"!!
Do you have examples of this hostility?

Also The Hilldale/Colorado City folks are not LDS. There is a reason their leader is on trial for felony charges. They probably take as much offense being labeled as such, as the LDS people do having them considered "Mormons."

Old 04-04-2007, 06:26 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,303 times
I am not at liberty to say where my sister works. I can tell you that her hours were cut from 40 to 32, she was put on a second shift situation, and most recently denied a promotion she was up for. She works in a department with 12 people. She is the ONLY non LDS, of the 12. Her work performance has been fine. As of late she has indicated to me that she is Shunned by nearly all of her co workers and has become stressed to the point of wanting to leave the company. My sister is a friendly, outgoing, optomistic person, who has worked with people all her life. Mostly in the retail/hospitality sector. That's what I know-no more, no less.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Do you have examples of this hostility?

Also The Hilldale/Colorado City folks are not LDS. There is a reason their leader is on trial for felony charges. They probably take as much offense being labeled as such, as the LDS people do having them considered "Mormons."
Just to clarify the comment above....Colorado City, formerly known as Short Creek, was founded in 1913 by members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a breakaway sect of the Salt Lake City-based The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. See this for info.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona

Also...
Why does the woman who had a very negative work experience need to 'prove' her allegations to you ? Why does she need to list examples of this hostility ? Because you are LDS you are biased on this board to anyone who is not LDS - obvious in your comments when anyone says something happened to them or had some negative experience with those whom are LDS.... How 'fair and balanced' is that ???!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,164 times
Quote:

Also...
Why does the woman who had a very negative work experience need to 'prove' her allegations to you ? Why does she need to list examples of this hostility ? Because you are LDS you are biased on this board to anyone who is not LDS - obvious in your comments when anyone says something happened to them or had some negative experience with those whom are LDS.... How 'fair and balanced' is that ???!!!
Keikekai--

Cool didn't ask for "proof," he asked for an example; there is a big difference. Specific examples allow for better understanding and learning. As an example, if you call me a jerk, I have no idea what specific behavior on my part led you to that conclusion. If you tell me I'm a jerk because I make fun of your hairstyle, throw trash in your yard, and block your driveway with my car, then I understand and have the ability to correct my behavior.

Swipes with a broad brush cover a lot of area, but we may only need to paint a small patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George