Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,825 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
We are thinking of moving to the St George area and are wondering what folks know about the air and water quality. We currently live in Colorado where there are plans to drill for natural gas fairly close to us and so are concerned about contamination issues from uranium mining in the St George area. Wherever these large corporations begin extracting natural resources, human health issues ends up being second to profits. We are also concerned with the new proposed coal plant in Mesquite and wonder how others feel about its proximity to St George. Thanks for any input to help guide our decision.

Bill S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 04:30 PM

398 posts, read 818,978 times
As far as I know, there is no uranium mining near St. George. There was some historical silver mining nearby (Silver Reef-now a subdivision) and 30 miles west was , or still might be, some gold mining. There is definitely uranium mining in other parts of the state. Haven't heard anyone complain about their water. Cedar City, 40 miles north, has a lot of iron in the water and iron mines. The St. George area can experience some temperature inversions which give it some pollution, but it is still a pretty small city, or one might call it a large town. I think Mesquite has some pretty serious water issues to settle before any coal mining could start there.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 59,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogabill View Post
Greetings,
We are thinking of moving to the St George area and are wondering what folks know about the air and water quality. We currently live in Colorado where there are plans to drill for natural gas fairly close to us and so are concerned about contamination issues from uranium mining in the St George area. Wherever these large corporations begin extracting natural resources, human health issues ends up being second to profits. We are also concerned with the new proposed coal plant in Mesquite and wonder how others feel about its proximity to St George. Thanks for any input to help guide our decision.

Bill S
Greetings Bill,

First off this news about a coal plant in Mesquite is new to me. I'd hate to see our nice clean air here in St. George start to fill with coal dust. I lived in the mining communities of deep western Virginia and West Virginia for a time and I've seen what coal towns are like.

Don't let that deter you from at least coming here for a vacation to check it out and see how beautiful this place really is. Nowhere else on Earth will you find places like Zion Nat'l Park, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell and a zillion other natural wonders within a 200 mile radius. This place is lovely and a lot of fun if you're into the outdoors or recreation. Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
Greetings Bill,

First off this news about a coal plant in Mesquite is new to me. I'd hate to see our nice clean air here in St. George start to fill with coal dust. I lived in the mining communities of deep western Virginia and West Virginia for a time and I've seen what coal towns are like.
There is coal mining and three major coal fired plants around the Price area, and it's all pretty invisible. Air quality, with the exception of desert dust kicked up by the wind, is excellent. Coal mining in the western states isn't like coal mining in appalachian states, and modern coal fired plants are very clean.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM

15 posts, read 61,348 times
Default Air

Lived in St George 3 years, moved from Minneapolis. The air is horrid, dirty , dust storms, pollution etc... Not to mention the Nuke fallout from the 50's and 60's , coined : downwinders. Yes, they have a coal plant which is to built on the boarder of Utah and Nevada , roughly 30 miles from St George.. on the otherside of Mesquite. I have family living there and am pleading with them to move here to Denver(elderly parents). There are no safe limits of air quality from a coal fired plant!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:02 PM

157 posts, read 624,187 times
Don't know about actual pollutants in the water but the quality of the water is horrible! We replaced 2 new hot water heaters within a year in two different homes due to corrosive damage from the hard water. If you do move here make sure you invest in a good water softener.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM

11 posts, read 59,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickery View Post
The air is horrid, dirty , dust storms, pollution etc... Not to mention the Nuke fallout from the 50's and 60's , coined : downwinders.

Uhhhh... you are aware this is 2008? The air here is far from horrid even on the worst days. Dust storms are part of living in the desert and a very infrequent and wherever did you come up with the "pollution" idea? Nuke fallout was limited to people that lived in the Cedar City area and north and that stopped some 40 years ago.

Are you misguided or just incredibly ignorant?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 PM

23 posts, read 98,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
Uhhhh... you are aware this is 2008? The air here is far from horrid even on the worst days. Dust storms are part of living in the desert and a very infrequent and wherever did you come up with the "pollution" idea? Nuke fallout was limited to people that lived in the Cedar City area and north and that stopped some 40 years ago.

Are you misguided or just incredibly ignorant?
St. George received worse Nuke fallout (being downwinders) than Cedar City, from what I've read. That is why St. George remained much smaller than Cedar City for years. The workers who put in the freeway (my dad is a personal friend of one) said that people were terrified to drink the water from St. George and would buy bottled. Everyone was afraid of Cancer. There was a film crew that filmed in St. George with John Wayne as one of the actors...all later died of cancer and some theorists believe that St. George have those nuke issues was the reason. Go ahead and google it.

That being said, I know a long time resident of Cedar City and she says that everyone knew at least one family with at least one child who had Cancer. She says it was horrible to have so many children die of cancer. She also said that people in these areas didn't have gardens for those reasons....and that's why the milk is still coming from Vegas.

That was another reason that housing stayed so cheap.....people couldn't give their houses away living in a Cancer Cluster.

The Straight Dope: Did John Wayne die of cancer caused by a radioactive movie set?

Radiation Death and Deception

Legacy of radiation illness stir objection to Nevada bomb test | HEAL Utah

portland imc - 2005.10.27 - Downwinders of Nevada Test Site nuclear fallout

John Wayne

Last edited by CedarCityUtahRez; 02-25-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 PM

28 posts, read 199,962 times
Wow, what a story. I'm sure nuclear fallout affected some people in southern Utah, but I don't think I would live my life by what happened in the 50's and 60's. If you know any thing about the Mormon people, having a garden is part of being self-sufficient, so I can't believe people wouldn't have a garden. That is what the deep gutters are for; irrigation water for the garden. Did your neighbor tell you that? Speaking of milk, have you driven around the Washington Fields area? Those large animals standing in manure are cows. They produce milk. The Cox family had a very large dairy around 700 South and 700 East for many years. There aren't many dairies left in St. George any more, but they produced milk for years here. St. George was an agricultural area for many years before developers and golf courses came, including producing milk. This is the first I've heard that all of St. Georges milk comes from Las Vegas.
Housing was cheap because air conditioning wasn't installed in houses until the early 80's. Swamp coolers were used prior to that, but they don't cool much at 110 degrees. You can't give houses away in the desert without AC.
Debbee, I lived in the same house for eleven years without replacing the water heater. The secret is having teenagers that drain the hot water tank every morning, thus cleaning out the sediment daily.
The coal power plant is just in the planning stages for now, so we'll see.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,439 times
Crimany Christmas! The Duke died from a cancer that started from an experiance in St. George? "Cedar", please tell me what John Wayne movie was ever filmed in St. George. St. George wasn't even a speck on the map in the 50's. Or even the 60's. All the Dukes' Utah location movies were filmed at Monument Valley. And that's way over on the Southeast corner of the state. With a healthy buffer of mountains between there and Nevada.
Crimany, while I'll be the first to say that the nuclear testing of the fifty's was responcible for harm than the government wants to admit. I'd say that today with the constant convenent diet of pure fat enriched fast food, processed vegetables and mowing the lawn once a week for exercise much more of an issue for health problems than atomic testing 50 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George