Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:17 AM

22 posts, read 133,621 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me more information on Bolivar?

Schools? (especially the preschools and elementaries)
Factories?
Shopping?
Hospitals? (Children's doctors, OBGYNS, Labor and delivery area?)
Average rent?
Outdoor activities?
Entertainment?
Activites for infants and toddlers? (gymnastics, dance, etc.)
How is the drive from Bolivar to Springfield?
Is Hwy 13 that bad? If so, is it the road and it's conditions or the people driving on it?

Thank you so much. It will help us in making our decision on where to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM

145 posts, read 655,556 times
The only thing I can tell you about of any of those is Hwy 13. Yes, it is a dangerous highway, its nickname is "Bloody 13" because of the amount of accidents. There are a lot of people that use this road to get to KC (it is the fastest route from Springfield). They drive as though it were the Autobahn, and it is of course not designed for such. Now, if you are used to driving in heavy, fast traffic, it will not be a big deal to you; just know that it still has a high share of accidents for the area.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 AM

22 posts, read 133,621 times
Anyone with information on the town and what they have to offer?

Old 06-16-2007, 09:13 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Post Nothing Concrete...

Hi! I don't have anything concrete to share about Bolivar but if I had the opportunity to move there, I wouldn't. I subscribe to a free email of Ozarks Newsstand, a compilation of top stories from various papers from all over the Ozarks. I found Bolivar's news to be been pretty negative and according to city-data's Bolivar page, the crime is higher than many small towns and not too far below the national average.

Anyway, here's a link to Bolivar's newspaper:
Ozarks Newsstand - Bolivar Herald-Free Press - Top stories - BH

And here's a link to sign up for these Ozark's Newsstand emails:
Ozarks Newsstand - News - Top Stories

We actually took a drive to Bolivar and an agent showed us some properties. She was a snob who insisted we weren't going to find anything decent for under $100,000.00 and even though the town looked fine, as far as I recall, we haven't gone back. It is quite a ways from Springfield (randmcnalley.com says it is 31 miles and a 41 minute drive) and if I remember correctly, there isn't a lot of big stores in town or other towns nearby, so you might have to make that drive to Springfield more often than you'd like. Wages in MO are not great but the bigger towns pay better so I bet a lot of people do commute and if you or your husband wind up doing that, you may find you're on Hwy. 13 during commute time, which is something else to consider. This is especially difficult for a mommy... or daddy... of two!

I apologize to any from this area who will beg to differ from me but since this site is for people looking for honest answers, I try my best to offer them. As I said, I do not have concrete evidence (other than the distance part) and in the absence of others offering their personal experience, I thought I would "step up to the plate" with my thoughts. I welcome others sharing their experiences...especially if mine is not correct...because I wouldn't want to steer someone in the wrong direction...or give bad or incorrect information.

I know this sounds silly but I have to ask if you (mommyoftwo) have visited city-data's page on Bolivar. I don't know how people have found their way to this forum so I don't want to assume you found it from visiting that page. If you haven't, you'll be amazed at what they have there:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Bolivar-Missouri.html

I don't know what I would have done without city-data's information when we were looking for a home! I think it has even more info than before! I don't remember seeing information before tonight on how many people commute. Bolivar's page tells that. (HOW do they KNOW these things?) You can learn sooo many things and can even follow a link to learn about political contributions from there! Pretty amazing!

I hope you are successful at finding just the "right" home in the "right" neighborhood in the "right" town to meet you and your family's needs!

MrsG

Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 AM

16 posts, read 68,186 times
This might be too late to help you, but I used to live in Bolivar. The first thing I would caution you on - Bolivar is very clique-ish. I found that going through school there was very hard, since I did not start kindergarten there. Also, southwest MO in general is very conservative and church is extremely important - if you don't go to church it's very hard to "fit in."

Bolivar has very good schools, especially for a town its size. I don't know anything about the preschools. They split elementary into 2 buildings - K-2 is in one, and 3-5 is in the other. For some reason, they seem very reluctant to build more elementary schools, even though they need them - probably b/c they don't want to split up the kids who go to church together and whose parents went to school together, etc. etc. Regardless, the quality of education is good.

I don't think there is much "industry," unless you count Tracker Boats - they have a plant there. The other big employers are CMH (Hospital) and Southwest Baptist University. The hospital claims to be great, but we've had nothing but scary experiences there. Go to Springfield for doctors.

Shopping leaves a lot to be desired. There is a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Aldi, and one locally owned grocery store. We went to Springfield to do almost all of our shopping, because the local businesses have little selection and high prices. However, there are probably more cash advance businesses per capita than anywhere else - even on the quaint downtown square!

Housing is very affordable. You can get a very nice starter home in the low $100s. Rent is also inexpensive, but I would vote for buying a house - if you're renting a single family home you'll be paying as much as you would for a mortgage payment.

For activities - there are several lakes within a half hour and a very nice city park for the kids. There is not much going on entertainment-wise. One very small movie theatre and a bowling alley - I don't think there is even mini golf there. There are several small studios where kids can take gymnastics and dance.

The drive on Hwy 13 is terrible. Getting to Springfield isn't too bad, but the way back is windy, curvy, and full of hills. On top of that, there are several smaller roads that cross the highway and people dart out in front of you when you have little time to stop. Drivers in this part of the state have a sense of entitlement when it comes to turning - they will turn out in front of you no matter how close you are or how fast you're going. It makes for scary times on the roads (and I learned to drive while living in Bolivar!)

I hope this helps!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_missourienne View Post
The only thing I can tell you about of any of those is Hwy 13. Yes, it is a dangerous highway, its nickname is "Bloody 13" because of the amount of accidents. There are a lot of people that use this road to get to KC (it is the fastest route from Springfield). They drive as though it were the Autobahn, and it is of course not designed for such. Now, if you are used to driving in heavy, fast traffic, it will not be a big deal to you; just know that it still has a high share of accidents for the area.

The highway has been divided and updated over the years. Much better nowadays.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 46,404 times
Ahh, Bolivar. Not much there. lots of old folks and a Bible college. Driving through Bolivar is HELL. Not much shopping, eating, or entertainment to choose from. 13 is very dangerous and the drive to Springfield and back gets old. I have been ran off the road by semis a number of times. I would not suggest a move there, just my opinion. (Sorry Bolivar people.)

Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isismoon View Post
Ahh, Bolivar. Not much there. lots of old folks and a Bible college. Driving through Bolivar is HELL. Not much shopping, eating, or entertainment to choose from. 13 is very dangerous and the drive to Springfield and back gets old. I have been ran off the road by semis a number of times. I would not suggest a move there, just my opinion. (Sorry Bolivar people.)
Well, isismoon, it is important that we are honest in this forum if we are to help each other and basically, all we really have to share is our opinion, so I think you're safe. I try to be as kind as I can when I'm giving a bad review but I feel like I owe it to the person asking the question to be honest when giving my opinion...which is usually all I have to offer. After all, "YES MEN" are worthless, as far as I'm concerned.
http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-10839-enamoure.gif (broken link)
I'm sure there are people who love Bolivar and would give a different review. I guess it's their turn to step up to the plate and take their turn. Any takers?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 AM

156 posts, read 387,809 times
Default Outsider's view of Bolivar

Having visited Bolivar a number of times over say----50 years or so lol....I have always found it to be sort of a throw back. I always remember the old square and just imagine what it must have been like in the 1930's when my Dad was growing up there. I still have Aunts, Uncles, and a few cousins that live there...but after my last visit there I sort of couldn't envision myself ever being a full-time resident. Maybe because I've lived so many years in the New Orleans area and living in the big city is so very different. Might be too much of a shock to downsize that far at one time lol. But I found the people very nice there(of course that doesn't mean that they are nice nice and not just friendly to visitors ya know lol). At Wal Mart I remember driving in the parking lot and the people actually stop and wait for you....sort of a politeness that we just never see here....But by far the most amazing memory to me was when my Dad passed away in 2003. We left the funeral home and drove through the square headed towards the cemetery.....the cars pulled off of the road and people got out and put their hands over their hearts...we were so very touched .....it was like they all knew my Dad but I knew they probably did not.....I will never ever forget that...

Old 12-14-2007, 04:57 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Default Former Bolivar Resident....

I lived in Bolivar long enough to know I couldn't wait to get out! Why? Mainly because of the employment situation and the snobs. If you are a member of the "clan" you have a good chance of getting the best paying jobs...otherwise, you'll be lucky to get a minimum wage job. The "clan" saves the best jobs for their own.

If you were born there and stay there, you can become a member of the clan (if you don't live in a trailer); if you move away and come back, you have to wait in line to join the clan again. If you're an outsider...good luck! I know, doesn't this sound ridiculous in this day and age? But, sadly it's true in Bolivar.

If you like to shop...forget Bolivar! Wal-Mart is the watering hole that's about it in that town.

Dining out? There are very few restaurants in town, and most aren't that great.

Schools? Kids are very clannish as well, and it's hard for newbies to fit in and will often get overlooked. As far as the quality of the teachers? Can't help you there.

Housing? Pretty affordable, but only if you come into town with money. If you're going to count on your low income from working in Bolivar, then the housing is not that affordable.

Crime? Mainly domestic, robbery/burglary, DUI's...typical tiny town America stuff.

Traffic? As others have stated, Hwy 13 is terrible, and driving on Springfield Ave through town is not much fun...ends up a parking lot many times.

Entertainment? Non existent...unless you want to go see a movie I guess.

Churches? Plenty of churches! Oh, just one thing...they preach being faithful and loving Christians...but if you're an outsider and need a helping hand, don't hold your breath!

Prejudice? Ah, this is interesting...those who "think" they have money in Bolivar and are part of the "clan", and the ones who preach being good Christians, are the first to look down their noses at those in town who live in "not so fancy" houses, and/or mobile homes. Behind closed doors, too many in town are real snobs. Now, how would I know this? Because sadly, I heard it first-hand as these snobs put down the "trailer trash" and/or poor people in town.

Outdoor activities? Uh, I guess you could drive through Dunnigan Park and look at the ducks and geese and throw bread at them. That's about it folks. Hope you don't get over excited with that activity. Or you could drive around and look at nothing, or drive a little further and look at the cows.

Hospitals/doctors? Not the worst in the world.

Now how do I really feel? Happy that I'm away from that podunk place!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area