Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 PM

16 posts, read 68,202 times

Advertisements

katie45 - I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like an outsider while I lived in Bolivar. My crimes were being born somewhere else, not buying into the "Christian" brainwashing!! It's really sad to hear people who haven't had the "pleasure" of living there talk about how it seems like such a nice little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 AM

46 posts, read 134,013 times
Hmmm, so if I'm not rich, but like feeding the ducks and don't consider lots of shopping and restaurants a necessity, love cows and bring my job with me I'll be okay Sounds like Hwy 13 would be a concern though for my better half as he'll likely have to drive into Springfield for work.

Do they like organic, tree-hugging, homesteading-type homebody people or would we be considered a bit freaky?

~ST

Old 12-18-2007, 07:37 PM

16 posts, read 68,202 times
LOL! Well, the homesteading-type homebody would go over fine. The organic, tree-hugging part might get you branded a "hippie" by the "cowboys," and there is nothing worse than a "hippie." Oh wait. In Bolivar, two things are worse: Democrats and Atheists.

Keep in mind, there are lots of corn-fed, gun-toting country bumpkins hanging out in and around Bolivar. Of course, most of them are much friendlier than the "upstanding" citizens that sit on the various boards and preach God's love to the mere "peasants."

Old 12-19-2007, 06:53 AM

I can handle the 'hippie' label - and we do eat meat, so we're not entirely alien And since all of my family hails from the Deep South, I'm pretty darn sure that I can hang with the best of the good ole' boys and girls, and most likely learn quite a lot from them since this is a new venture. At the worst, we'll probably give them a lot to chuckle about and poke fun of - but maybe they will feel better when my 4 wheel driving, rebel-flag flying, country-singing cousins come to visit and figure we're alright people after all, even if we are a mite strange

Old 12-20-2007, 03:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk211 View Post
katie45 - I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like an outsider while I lived in Bolivar. My crimes were being born somewhere else, not buying into the "Christian" brainwashing!! It's really sad to hear people who haven't had the "pleasure" of living there talk about how it seems like such a nice little town.
Sadly, Bolivar is NOT a friendly town unless you're just passing thru and spending money. One of the largest "christian" churches in town that brags about helping their fellow man, is the church that hogs all the money, and food, for it's members only. A family who desperately needed help one winter after the husband was laid off his job, was told that the church would donate about $10, and they were told not to ask again (and that the food in the church pantry was to be used for "fun" church dinners). How thoughtful and generous!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Wow, that must have been hard to deal with. Sounds like your friend had a really rough time there in Bolivar, I'm really sorry to hear that about any people, regardless of religious association.

Community is supposed to be about helping others - but that conflicts a lot of time with American 'individualism' that we prize so much. I hope your friend has recovered and moved on to better things katie

~ST

Old 12-20-2007, 04:09 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplerTimez View Post
Wow, that must have been hard to deal with. Sounds like your friend had a really rough time there in Bolivar, I'm really sorry to hear that about any people, regardless of religious association.

Community is supposed to be about helping others - but that conflicts a lot of time with American 'individualism' that we prize so much. I hope your friend has recovered and moved on to better things katie

~ST
Yes, my friend and I both moved north. She is near KC, MO and I am in Johnson County, KS. Much better!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,158 times
I lived and went to school in Bolivar, from 8th grade to graduation quite a number of years ago. My sister still lives near Bolivar, works in Bolivar, and loves it. I would never, ever, move back there but I enjoy a visit every 5 or 6 years (it is a beautiful area of the state). I have a few friends still in the area but there's just nothing there for me. Way too boring and, in general, the people are just not friendly. I'm sure a lot has changed over the years, but the city officials always seem a bit corrupt (and I subscribe to Ozarks Newsstand and frequently read the Bolivar Harold Free Press online, for a chuckle). Most of the people that I knew have moved out of Bolivar. Most of those that stayed work for Tracker and get laid off for a few months each year while the facility re-tools for the next years boats. What a way to make a living. There are much better places to live in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM

269 posts, read 666,830 times
I have a friend that goes to SBU in Bolivar - She loves the school but she gets sad and bored there sometimes. It is very small - where are you coming from?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
Default About Bolivar, MO

I enjoy living in Bolivar. It is a 25-30 minute drive to springfield. They are currently fixing the highway, but I have not had problems with it. There is a wonderful school system, which has had many awards. There is a primary with a prek - 2nd grade, intermediate school which is 3-5, middle 5-8, and highschool. There is also a baptist college which has an excellent teaching degree. The police department is cracking down on a lot of drug sources. There is a walmart and plenty of fast food. Mostly there are local restaraunts, a local grocery store. It's small, but has plenty of necessaties. There is a hospital which keeps expanding. The birth center is great, but they do not have a NICU, but they have a helicopter to transfer to St.Johns in Springfield. I personally enjoy it. There is a variety of churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area