Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:35 PM

914 posts, read 2,210,043 times

Advertisements

I live in Polk County, not far from Bolivar.

First, ignore every comment above that includes a reference to "Bloody 13". If their information about Bolivar is that out of date it is not likely reliable.

Second, recognize that Bolivar is a rather small town in a rather small county that is too close to a major metropolitan center to be able to develop many of the facilities and amenities that other communities have.

OK - on to the questions:

"Schools? (especially the preschools and elementaries)"
The schools in Bolivar are pretty much average for this area. I would rate Willard higher, but I would rate most other systems north of I-44 and south of US 54 at or below Bolivar.

"Factories?"
Factory jobs are practically non-existent anywhere in Polk county. There are several in north Springfield that are easily accessible and many people in Bolivar do make the commute.

"Shopping?"
While there are a few businesses I actually travel to Bolivar for, "shopping" is limited. It is only a half-hour to the north side of Springfield (however, it is nearly an hour to the south side, and that is where most Springfield retail is located). Woods is not a bad grocery store, and with Wal-Mart you may be able to do most grocery shopping in town. The Wal-Mart is one of their SuperCenter stores and has everything Springfield Wal-Marts will have.

Hospitals? (Children's doctors, OBGYNS, Labor and delivery area?)
I am not crazy about CMH either. Springfield is simply too close and has too many choices to worry much about small town medicine.

"Average rent?"
Comparable to Springfield. What size place and what amenities? Keep in mind that natural gas is not yet available (will be over the next few years, though), and houses are commonly all electric. This can be expensive come winter.

"Outdoor activities?"
Lots, if you can do things largely on your own. Very little in the way of organized activities. Pomme de Terre lake (fishing, camping) is only a few miles up the road, and the much larger Stockton lake (fishing, boating, great sailing) is maybe a half hour away - I've never timed it. The Frisco Highline biking/hiking/equestrian trail runs from Bolivar to north Springfield. Several Conservation areas are nearby. There is a decent golf course. There is the YMCA and their programs. Dunnegan Park has been mentioned, but there are others in town.

"Entertainment?"
Very little. A few concerts at SBU. The odd event on the square in summertime. Various events put on by various groups that only their mother could love.

"Activites for infants and toddlers? (gymnastics, dance, etc.)"
I know there are some offered but know nothing of their quality.

"How is the drive from Bolivar to Springfield?"
Is Hwy 13 that bad? If so, is it the road and it's conditions or the people driving on it?"
The old highway is being replaced section by section. Over half is complete and is in use. The remaining parts will be in place by next spring, I believe. The new highway eliminates dozens of access points and should be as safe as any Missouri highway. Hey, I used to drive it when it was two lane!

Finally, a word about the people. They would be difficult to distinguish from other people in S.W. Mo. In spite of what you read above, there are a great many available parking spaces and more empty pews in the the churches than will ever be filled. With 10,000 people, if there are "cliques" then there must be thousands of people who don't belong. There are lots and lots of people there just trying to live their life as best they can, just like everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,685 times
The local hospital ER is pathetic. Twice I went there and came out with a bad diagnosis. Pneumonia was diagnosed as a sprained back. Four bones broken in my leg and foot was also diagnosed as a sprain.

The school system is excellent. One of the best in the state. Housing is controlled by a powerful few. Shopping is bad. The best food is bought from neighboring Amish communities. The roads out of town are great now. Jobs are not to be had. The big employers are for the locals, or gone. (No more Tracker.)

Look to Springfield for much better amenities. Live in any other outlying community, but not Bolivar.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 PM

15 posts, read 23,053 times
Oh, Bolivar is a great little town. They have a great youth correctional facility there. I spent 18 months locked up there and had a blast! Very handy if you have troublesome teenagers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area