Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:51 AM

28 posts, read 54,887 times

Advertisements

Depends on where in CA you live, I suppose. I'm a bit cynical these days, but to the extent there is racism in Springfield it's not going to be the type you typically run into in CA. You don't have La Raza or MECHA or any of that crowd stirring up trouble here. YOu do have the Klan here (quietly, but they're here), and an institutional mindset in the gov't that has it's prejudices, but they're more oriented towards hating the poor (or I should say more accurately, "anyone who is not rich") than they are on any given skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 14,698 times
I grew up in Bois D'Arc My maiden name is Baker. She probably knows the majority of my family.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
Exclamation Gena, hello, God help me I am moving to Springfield from SWVA. I am oh so white. Yet not real damn proud of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaharris View Post
I moved here 3 years ago from Southeast Missouri and I can tell you indeed they are racist here not just against blacks , Hispanics, and Asians but also Southerners. It is extremely expensive to live here , but maybe not as expensive as California . The people here are the rudest , I've ever met except for in the North. There are only 3 different food chains here and traffic in this city is awful as are the drivers. Rent is outrageous , it takes hours to get a few errands ran, jobs are plentiful but pay only min . wage and usually are temporary thru hiring agencies. The weather is not hot and humid it hasn't turned summer since I've been here until after 4th and cold again by October, it rains a lot and the winds are every day and strong so forget a hair doo get a pony tail holder. The winters are just as wet and cold with the wind burning into your bones. tornados and severe storms are all summer long . You see very few people of other races any were except on the North side of the city with the South side being at the upper crust of the city. The city is not ridden with major crime petty theft and car theft are on a rise as is gang activity which is not of the violent nature with guns and whatnot. It is a beautiful area to look at , but terrible on arthritis, asthma, and allergy sufferers. It is very clean and if you have plenty of money there is a lot to do , if not you may get bored and possibly hungry.
I don't know if I am doing this thread deal right. I am replying to you as you are living in Springfield. I knew it's sordid history, and was not looking forward to coming. Yet I am, as I must for my family's sake. Feel like the place should really be somewhere between AL and MI. Tornados instead of Hurricanes and of course a whole lotta less African Americans. Way too many white people, way too many racists. My being lily white doesn't make me feel better about coming.Ex and wife there. Ex's wife clued me in to just how bad it is. Friend of hers is black half of a Bi racial couple, they face outright hostility. Blatant. Black population stats read on a Pixie piece states now only 7%. Guess that means not a damn Blues Club for sure. Not that there is one in this town. Yet I could DRIVE to one. When I show up, well it will be interesting to see what happens. Joining my youngest son and his 15 yr old daughter, we sure needed the hell out of here. I hope to get our asses back to Wichita within in a year to be honest.
Youngest born there, but left when he was 3 so doesn't remember living there. I do. Do not want my white southern granddaughter raised in a racist city. Wichita has come a long way since I left it in 1981. Live between the twin rivers, no tornado has yet to set down there EVER. African American and Native American heritage seems stronger than when I left in 1981.
WHY ,I mean WTF? with all these ignorant people building all those damn houses without BASEMENTS. Lucky to have a storm shelter. Will be living in all white area of the south in Oakwood Town Home, has a DAMN BASEMENT. Will pay dearly to have it. Granddaughter starts HS this yr. Has been jerked by Mother all over this (SWVA) area's school districts and will hate to jerk her out one more time. I also will have to convince son to leave IF he gets a decent job which I hope he doesn't. Yet that will be my goal from the day I show up in Springfield. To get the hell out of there by next school year.
WHY IS A WHTE WOMAN ON THIS THREAD? Because I sure as hell won't be on any white thread anywhere regarding Springfield.I found this by google AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY IN SPRINGFIELD, MO. Just to get an idea from any black people living there, having lived there, as to just how many racists I shall have to deal with. They do not fair well with me. Arrogance, stupidity, racists, bigots, of any color don't.
To all non-idiots that have posted, thanks. I have lived in as I said in Wichita.Know the Mid West drill is generally, they are NICE. Polite. Etc. Yet I had exactly one black friend even when I lived in Wichita. It irks me I will most likely be locked into this white community in the south of town.
I am on Quora and Pinterest and FB. Rarely go to FB. Ironic I am on Quora and Pinterest. Not a social media personality type. Those two just snowballed on me. Went to gather information for MYSELF.
REASON I AM ON THIS THREAD.
Having read all posts, I have gotten what I needed to know. Wanted to not leave as a white snoop. Had to say thanks, as I invaded this space to get information.
FYI as a white person, whose mother comes from long line of 1/2 Meulongeon ( unique mix to this area) and 1/2 plantation owners, I know what my DNA would reveal.
In any white population group that has lived for generations where there were slaves. Sorry white people, you are not as white as you think. Includes damn Springfield.
For the entire black population to up and leave after that one nightmarish swinging and burning in the trees of Springfield. Well Good Lord, there must be one hell of a lot more to that story than has ever been told. While there, as a Historian, I will for sure get to the bottom of all that.
Spent four years studying the REAL STORY OF CHATTEL SLAVERY IN THE COLONIAL PERIOD OF THESE DISUNITED STATES. Not taught ANYWHERE. All bull**** and lies.
Will for sure write about it once I do get the low down on Springfield's true history never yet told.Only what they ADMIT to and can't deny is told. More to it than that for sure. Always is when you dig for the truth. I shall be digging.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:56 AM

^ "Way too many white people..."? And you yourself are white?

This is exactly the sort of self-loathing, Social Justice Warrior attitude that won't fly in Springfield. The overwhelming majority of people in Springfield, whether they like you or not, will leave you alone so long as you leave them alone. Come in with a huge chip on your shoulder like that and you're going to have problems.

And for someone who claims to have lived here or had family here, your comments about the racial mix in town are woefully out of date. The ethnic population is growing (as it is just about everywhere else) at an accelerating pace. The newcomers are mostly Hispanics, Chinese, and Arabs, but black people are well-represented too.

I'd be far more worried about catching flack for coming in acting like a California cause-head ultra-liberal than I would be about catching flack over race. I speak from personal experience as a moderate-progressive on that count.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishia View Post
I don't know if I am doing this thread deal right. I am replying to you as you are living in Springfield. I knew it's sordid history, and was not looking forward to coming. Yet I am, as I must for my family's sake. Feel like the place should really be somewhere between AL and MI. Tornados instead of Hurricanes and of course a whole lotta less African Americans. Way too many white people, way too many racists. My being lily white doesn't make me feel better about coming.Ex and wife there. Ex's wife clued me in to just how bad it is. Friend of hers is black half of a Bi racial couple, they face outright hostility. Blatant. Black population stats read on a Pixie piece states now only 7%. Guess that means not a damn Blues Club for sure. Not that there is one in this town. Yet I could DRIVE to one. When I show up, well it will be interesting to see what happens. Joining my youngest son and his 15 yr old daughter, we sure needed the hell out of here. I hope to get our asses back to Wichita within in a year to be honest.
Youngest born there, but left when he was 3 so doesn't remember living there. I do. Do not want my white southern granddaughter raised in a racist city. Wichita has come a long way since I left it in 1981. Live between the twin rivers, no tornado has yet to set down there EVER. African American and Native American heritage seems stronger than when I left in 1981.
WHY ,I mean WTF? with all these ignorant people building all those damn houses without BASEMENTS. Lucky to have a storm shelter. Will be living in all white area of the south in Oakwood Town Home, has a DAMN BASEMENT. Will pay dearly to have it. Granddaughter starts HS this yr. Has been jerked by Mother all over this (SWVA) area's school districts and will hate to jerk her out one more time. I also will have to convince son to leave IF he gets a decent job which I hope he doesn't. Yet that will be my goal from the day I show up in Springfield. To get the hell out of there by next school year.
WHY IS A WHTE WOMAN ON THIS THREAD? Because I sure as hell won't be on any white thread anywhere regarding Springfield.I found this by google AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY IN SPRINGFIELD, MO. Just to get an idea from any black people living there, having lived there, as to just how many racists I shall have to deal with. They do not fair well with me. Arrogance, stupidity, racists, bigots, of any color don't.
To all non-idiots that have posted, thanks. I have lived in as I said in Wichita.Know the Mid West drill is generally, they are NICE. Polite. Etc. Yet I had exactly one black friend even when I lived in Wichita. It irks me I will most likely be locked into this white community in the south of town.
I am on Quora and Pinterest and FB. Rarely go to FB. Ironic I am on Quora and Pinterest. Not a social media personality type. Those two just snowballed on me. Went to gather information for MYSELF.
REASON I AM ON THIS THREAD.
Having read all posts, I have gotten what I needed to know. Wanted to not leave as a white snoop. Had to say thanks, as I invaded this space to get information.
FYI as a white person, whose mother comes from long line of 1/2 Meulongeon ( unique mix to this area) and 1/2 plantation owners, I know what my DNA would reveal.
In any white population group that has lived for generations where there were slaves. Sorry white people, you are not as white as you think. Includes damn Springfield.
For the entire black population to up and leave after that one nightmarish swinging and burning in the trees of Springfield. Well Good Lord, there must be one hell of a lot more to that story than has ever been told. While there, as a Historian, I will for sure get to the bottom of all that.
Spent four years studying the REAL STORY OF CHATTEL SLAVERY IN THE COLONIAL PERIOD OF THESE DISUNITED STATES. Not taught ANYWHERE. All bull**** and lies.
Will for sure write about it once I do get the low down on Springfield's true history never yet told.Only what they ADMIT to and can't deny is told. More to it than that for sure. Always is when you dig for the truth. I shall be digging.
Let me get this right. You don't live in Springfield yet you have it and the people who live there all figured out and it's full of racist whites and Klan members. Interesting that this is your first and, thus far, only post on C-D and it's a biased screed brutalizing Springfield whites by one who purports to be white herself.

We live about an hour south of Springfield, have been there many times over the past seven years are going again tomorrow) and have yet to observe racist acts or hear racist comments. Since we're the products of dead white European males (and females) one would think that as many times as we've been in and around Springfield we'd have observed or heard something but, no. Nothing!

Curious!

PS. How many whites have to leave Springfield so there won't be "way too many?"

Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLutz View Post
Springfield is growing so quickly, it is becoming very diverse with many different cultures. I have traveled quite a bit in the last 10 years, and although this area has been my home forever, I feel I can say without bias that Springfield is no more of a racist community than any other city. As long as you are friendly, most people here are friendly in return. You definitely get your share of the opposite but I find if you keep a positive outlook and just ignore those that are toxic, the area seems pretty peaceful and an all-around nice place to live.
I think this says all you need to know. The bolded part is important because as places grow they change. Sometimes there are growing pains but these places tend to become more tolerant. I'm no fan of Springfield but I doubt that it is any more racist than any other place of similar size in Missouri or sourrounding states....no beacon of racism or a place to avoid.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
Exclamation Omg

Holy ultra-conservatism! Way more is going on than racism in Springfield, MO. Even caucasians from western states like Arizona with a suntan are considered hispanic by some, usually of the indoor habitat bleached-white low-IQ inbred Irish klan types. The redneck persuasion is a product of cloudy humid outdoor work in the south and midwest. The western caucasian redneck has a brownish tan instead of red, which makes them hispanic to ridiculous daft moron racists who don't understand anything outside of their box. Some blacks say they are treated very well, which is hard to believe. This is the last place I would move to if I was anything but caucasian. The people think small, are petty and generic and a lot are poor. The people stare, just blank stares if you look interesting. It's street-smart deficient. If the coolness hip attitude was a rock tossed in the water it would have skipped from the west coast, off the rocky mountains all the way over the midwest to the east coast.

The U.S. would have never had all it's inventions and discoveries if it was all like Springfield because of all the omnious anti-everything. It seems like there are a lot of vacant strip mall spaces and lack of businesses. Long wait lists for repair shops etc. because they won't expand and investors don't want to sink money here because people can't afford it and are super-cheap. There's a lot of finger wagging; "no-no you're bad, you shouldn't be meddling with that, you should be thrown in jail!" attitude from the ultra-conservatives who fear what they don't understand. Why are you looking at that map on the wall in the lobby? Are you loitering? Why are you trying to use your brain? You should just accept things as the way they are and not meddle with learning and discovery because it can easily be explained as a creation of god. Speaking freely offends some people. Asking questions is talking-back. Women will clench their empty purse when they see and able-bodied man. Anything more racy than Elvis Presley is offensive unless it's christian rock. A lot of people have one mate and get married and have kids pretty young like a trend or christian obligation without much consideration for economic success. The social divide is either ultra-conservative racist christian republican conformist or a dirty blue-collar or farming redneck. Holy McDonald's too, probably twice as many fried-garbage McDonald's per capita than most everywhere and lines around the corner all the time. I guess health and nutrition is an umpteenth priority, but if you don't have teeth you need soft food. Non medicaid state too.

Drivers are terrible all over the country because the U.S. govt. wants everyone to have a license to support the auto-makers, oil and insurance. The drivers in Springfield ride ass, tail gate or follow too close and think it's normal since most of them do it. A lot will not turn off their brights or high-beams when passing for whatever utterly moronic reason. Speeding tickets are not issued. The farm roads are drag-racing autobahns with no regulation and super-narrow lanes over blind hills and curves. If you're going less than 20 over you be hastily ridden. The basic principle of a 4-way stop taking turns counter-clockwise was just too difficult to understand. They use these tiny concrete triangles at intersections to make right-turns a yielded merge instead, but not a real merge lane, 5' merge triangles so the cars turning left across intersections have the right-of-way over the right turns with a green light. I believe Springfield has the standard of 3 times more likely to be pulled over if driving while black.

What is clear is employment racial discrimination such as qualified people being denied jobs and high turnovers probably from social stresses and embodiment of the racism. Some employers try to meet the affirmative action quotas, but people other than bleached-white have to be qualified and experienced as opposed to having a chance at a non-skilled jobs. The poverty rate is high, average incomes are way below national averages and housing and energy are the only two things really equal, roughly 80% of the national average. If you make over 50K, you're in the top 25%. Many national prices apply in name brands, chains, online commerce, and investments and depending on where you move from you should only take about a 7% pay cut, but they will offer you 15-20% less and you have to be able to deny the job unless you get more. One of the problems is just that, desperate people taking the minimum wage jobs so the businesses don't have to pay more and charge more, it's like deflation instead of inflation. Entertainment is cheap, like super low movie theaters. Eve's-dropped a vendor at a doctor's office with a new product, and the doc said unless insurance covers it no one will buy it. The "show me state" means there are a ton of swindlers, cons, and rip-offs who come-off very friendly and may use religion as a ploy. Church is a profitable business and you will be invited to join a church, but expected to donate a 1/3 of your expendable income. I think there's a lot of thefts and burglaries too, the PD has the stats on it's website. This is one of the areas where ammo is still swept up and limited or out of stock.

Still a lot of neat draws, the great plains, green outdoors, fresh air, wildlife, and Branson entertainment near. Cheap restaurant food.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Your handle is well chosen and apt with an emphasis on the first syllable! You do know what a syllable is, don't you?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Trollhouse proves that racism comes from all directions and acts against all races.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,368 times
I haven't read any posts other than the OP & when I saw it was posted 2yrs ago I came to the last post to see why this topic is still open.
Racism is alive & kicking in the Ozarks & do not think otherwise!
YOU (the reader) may not be racist, but the roots of this area are still being hung onto by some old timers & their children & children's' children.
But sit back for a minute & think about this alternative thought...............Who says that one person cannot dislike another person because they do not live the way another person lives?

I certainly wouldn't want anyone of any race, religion or color living next door to me if they taught their children to revolt against the society that has been built by the Citizens of the USA over the past 300yrs!
I would not want anyone in this country who did not want to obey the Law of the Land!
Nor would I want anyone in my street, city, State or country who came here for no other reason than to commit
terrorist acts.

Try to get the Black v White V Hispanic racism that is made prevalent at any given chance by the media out of your head for a moment, & just think what the outcome would be if Sharia Law were accepted because of the "do-gooders" saying that the Muslims have every right to practice their own form of discipline in "your" country!!!

[url]www.tax-freedom.com/Islam-in-a-nutshell.htm[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area