Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about this all day and I can't explain it. I give up trying to defend it, because it's indefensible. I watched the Falcons on Sunday just get killed and I witnessed the home crowd root for the other team instead of the HOME TEAM FALCONS.... I just can't explain it anymore so here are some quotes that can do better:

“Have you ever gotten the feeling that you aren't completely embarrassed yet, but you glimpse tomorrow's embarrassment?”- Tom Cruise as Jerry Maguire. (how I felt)

"No one can disgrace us but ourselves."-Josh Billings (those jackasses who I thought were ATL fans who chanted, cheered, and supported a player on the other team, need I say more).

“The only kind of dignity which is genuine is that which is not diminished by the indifference of others.”- Dag Hammarskjold (people in Falcons jerseys cheering for an Eagles player is upsetting to me).

I'm not sure I even want to defend Atlanta sports fans anymore after what I saw yesterday. Most people in this metro aren't even from here and they don't even care about the teams here (they just show up when we win, oops, they don't even do that). The Braves have been a good team for so long but the ATL Metro didn't ride with them, the Hawks are good but people don't seem to notice. I admire the Thrashers and their supporters, they're real with it. I am very disappointed in our (fickle) "fan base" because I thought for sure that we were a football town but...I don't know. If the Falcons ever win a Super Bowl next year, they shouldn't even acknowledge us (the fans). I'm searching for answers people, what's preventing Atlanta from embracing the Home Teams? (end rant/vent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM

623 posts, read 1,543,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I'm searching for answers people, what's preventing Atlanta from embracing the Home Teams? (end rant/vent).
The main problem is the transient nature of much of the population of the ATL. So many people moved there for jobs and have previous allegiances.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
The main problem is the transient nature of much of the population of the ATL. So many people moved there for jobs and have previous allegiances.
I am aware of the high number of transplants but I thought we'd at least have about 1 million-2 million real supporters of the home team. I actually feel for the players on the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons because they don't have any real home field advantage in this city really. I was just caught off guard with the crowd's reaction and support of the Eagles. I'm also embarrassed to be part of the fanbase in this city because non of this stuff would fly in any other city. Thanks for your input though.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,873 times
Quote:
I am aware of the high number of transplants but I thought we'd at least have about 1 million-2 million real supporters of the home team. I actually feel for the players on the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons because they don't have any real home field advantage in this city really. I was just caught off guard with the crowd's reaction and support of the Eagles. I'm also embarrassed to be part of the fanbase in this city because non of this stuff would fly in any other city. Thanks for your input though.
It's the same way in Phoenix.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM

623 posts, read 1,543,023 times
Quote:
I too think it sucks. All the Vick love is disappointing, because a) he was never that good of a QB in the ATL, b) he's not a Falcon anymore, and of course c) he cost the team greatly, both competitively on field & financially. But the fact remains that Atlanta is a city with a huge black population that badly wanted a black athlete to embrace when Vick arrived, and some folks are not going to drop their fandom over animal cruelty or setting their team back.

That was real classy by the way how the Eagles anointed him team captain for the game in Atlanta.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
II actually feel for the players on the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons because they don't have any real home field advantage in this city really. I was just caught off guard with the crowd's reaction and support of the Eagles.
NFL Minimum Salary: 310,000

MLB Minimum Salary: 457,588

MLB Minimum Salary: 400,000

Ya, I feel terrible that these guys earn there salary playing in front of a few thousand less people...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
NFL Minimum Salary: 310,000

MLB Minimum Salary: 457,588

MLB Minimum Salary: 400,000

Ya, I feel terrible that these guys earn there salary playing in front of a few thousand less people...
Yeah, I guess you're right. The fact of the matter is that cheering for another team's player equals cheering/supporting the other team. This is how I see it: Atlanta turned on the Falcons that day to support an ex player who admitted that he didn't give his best (Vick was the highest paid player in the NFL); why should the guys in red and black give their best when you've already witnessed the home crowd give support to an opponent? Do you understand what I'm saying? It makes our fans look like a bunch of idiots because people would rather see flashy losses over efficient and methodical wins. To VolDude, I understand what you're saying about the how Blacks wanted a star Black athlete but it's just not cool. I use to defend Vick's play against Whites but now I defend Ryan against Blacks and it takes away from talking football because it turns into another race debate. I always thought sports was some outlet away from real problems not a gate into real problems. Sunday was like a bucket of artic ice water being poured on my face regarding the local "fans." It's all worse than I thought.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
why should the guys in red and black give their best when you've already witnessed the home crowd give support to an opponent? Do you understand what I'm saying?
No, I don't understand what you are saying. This is their livelihood. If that isn't enough to get them to perform at their peak then nothing will.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
It's hard to have any level of pity for professional athletes, but I will give you it sucks for "true" Atlanta fans (assuming everything here is true, I have never attended a game in ATL, for any sport).

Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
No, I don't understand what you are saying. This is their livelihood. If that isn't enough to get them to perform at their peak then nothing will.
On one side of the coin, you're right but what about the other side? Players often talk about feeding off of the crowd to give them some sort of boost. The athletes are already making money so will it hurt the home crowd to give the players an extra boost? Skip, do you get it now? Our crowd cheering for a player on the other team is a huge WTF moment for our team. No appreciation is what I'm talking about. Most contenders have a crowd to feed off of or is that just a myth? The Falcons might as well have been in Philly for the week 13 game. If you still don't get my frustration, let me know who your team is and I translate it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports