Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,401,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I lived in the 'Burgh in the early 70's when the Steelers sucked and Pirates were winning World Series and nobody cared about them then either.

Its the Steelers town. Always has been, always will be.
I grew up in Pittsburgh in the 50s and 60s and the Steelers while still popular, were not as popular as the Bucs in those years. But, I think baseball overall was still more popular than any other sport during those years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 04:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,108,618 times
If any publication gave Atlanta best sports city, it loses all credibility.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,529,535 times
The "best sports city" title always gets handed to the town that has a couple of defending champs in it.......in this case, Pittsburgh. If it had been the Dolphins and the Panthers winning titles it would have gone to Miami, as ridiculous as that would be.

First tier of best sports towns - Detroit, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh. Second tier - Washington, Buffalo, St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco,. Third tier - Twin Cities, Kansas City, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincy. All other towns cannot be labeled true "sports towns" at all, IMO.

I'm sure I left someone out....flame away!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,493,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
The "best sports city" title always gets handed to the town that has a couple of defending champs in it.......in this case, Pittsburgh. If it had been the Dolphins and the Panthers winning titles it would have gone to Miami, as ridiculous as that would be.

First tier of best sports towns - Detroit, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh. Second tier - Washington, Buffalo, St. Louis, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco,. Third tier - Twin Cities, Kansas City, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincy. All other towns cannot be labeled true "sports towns" at all, IMO.

I'm sure I left someone out....flame away!

Pittsburgh doesn't belong in the first tier. Sure they support the Steelers and the Pens, but the Pirates were 28th in MLB in attendance last year. I know the Pirates have rotten ownership and a losing team, but you can't be considered a top sports town if people don't show up, no matter what the excuse.

I would throw Pittsburgh out of the first tier and replace them with the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I would throw Pittsburgh out of the first tier and replace them with the San Francisco Bay Area.
Actually, upon reflection, if I moved anyone up to first tier it would be St. Louis. They've sold out all 3 home games for the Rams this year, despite having a God awful squad to cheer for. The Blues always get good attendance even though they never get close to the Cup, and the Cardinals fans are in a class by themselves. St. Louis is a damn good sports city......always has been.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM

8,996 posts, read 17,457,313 times
Quote:
Actually, upon reflection, if I moved anyone up to first tier it would be St. Louis. They've sold out all 3 home games for the Rams this year, despite having a God awful squad to cheer for. The Blues always get good attendance even though they never get close to the Cup, and the Cardinals fans are in a class by themselves. St. Louis is a damn good sports city......always has been.
When you consider the ratio of Ram fans to visiting team fans, you may reconsider your kind words for STL's support. Yesterday's game might as well have been a Colts home game. I am told the Packer game was similar a few weeks ago.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,954,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If any publication gave Atlanta best sports city, it loses all credibility.
You should check out College Football Saturday in Atlanta.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,634,962 times
The sporting news? Does anyone actually even read that anymore? Yeah with no NBA team and the worst MLB team in the league I cant see how Pittsburgh won, but hey it is what it is.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
You should check out College Football Saturday in Atlanta.
Yeah, but that's because of all the schools that surround the Atlanta region (SEC, ACC), not Atlanta itself. Georgia Tech is the only one actually IN Atlanta, and despite always being competitive, the only game they ever sell out is against Georgia, despite playing in a stadium that only seats a little over 50,000 (small by major college football standards). There were even empty seats at Bobby Dodd Stadium for that huge game against Virginia Tech a few weeks back.

I lived in metro Atlanta for 20 years, and I never understood the lack of interest for the Ga. Tech football program, which has a long and storied history...... especially since it's located in the biggest city within the supposed "football crazy" south. The inevitable conclusion, as with so many other aspects of Atlanta, is that the area is comprised largely of transplants that still support other teams, wether college or pro. Personally, I believe that no matter where one is coming from, the first allegiance should always be toward your current hometown team, but apparently I am in the small majority with this opinion. This is THE major reason I never considered Atlanta a serious sports town, though.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,954,170 times
Quote:
Yeah, but that's because of all the schools that surround the Atlanta region (SEC, ACC), not Atlanta itself. Georgia Tech is the only one actually IN Atlanta, and despite always being competitive, the only game they ever sell out is against Georgia, despite playing in a stadium that only seats a little over 50,000 (small by major college football standards). There were even empty seats at Bobby Dodd Stadium for that huge game against Virginia Tech a few weeks back.

I lived in metro Atlanta for 20 years, and I never understood the lack of interest for the Ga. Tech football program, which has a long and storied history...... especially since it's located in the biggest city within the supposed "football crazy" south. The inevitable conclusion, as with so many other aspects of Atlanta, is that the area is comprised largely of transplants that still support other teams, wether college or pro. Personally, I believe that no matter where one is coming from, the first allegiance should always be toward your current hometown team, but apparently I am in the small majority with this opinion. This is THE major reason I never considered Atlanta a serious sports town, though.
No, its not great because of Atlanta, but atlanta is still the center of it all. I was never really bit into college football until I moved there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports