Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,659,652 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the most cursed sports city? IMO its gotta be Cleveland. The Cavs have been around since the early 1970s and have never won an NBA championship, hopefully that changes sometime soon with them having LeBron. The Indains haven't won a World Series since 1948, which is the second longest current drought in the MLB. The Browns haven't ever won a Super Bowl and their last NFL championship was all the way back in 1964. So all in all, the city of Cleveland hasn't had a major sports title since the early 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM

602 posts, read 2,035,094 times
Buffalo is right up there.

Unless you count the Indoor Lacrosse team, the Bandits, and the Bisons and what they've done in AAA ball.

The Bills haven't won a title since '65 and even then that was an AFL title. And of course, the infamous 4 straight Super Bowl losses.
And the Sabres who've been around since '71 have only been to the Stanley Cup Finals twice and lost both times. The second one in '99, featured the infamous "No Goal" one of the greatest screw jobs in sports. And then a year or 2 later, "No Goal 2" in the opening round of the playoffs in which John LeClair shot a puck through the side netting and they still counted it!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post

Unless you count the Indoor Lacrosse team, the Bandits, and the Bisons and what they've done in AAA ball.

The Bills haven't won a title since '65 and even then that was an AFL title. And of course, the infamous 4 straight Super Bowl losses.
And the Sabres who've been around since '71 have only been to the Stanley Cup Finals twice and lost both times. The second one in '99, featured the infamous "No Goal" one of the greatest screw jobs in sports. And then a year or 2 later, "No Goal 2" in the opening round of the playoffs in which John LeClair shot a puck through the side netting and they still counted it!
So basically both cities are in the same boat. The thing is too, both Cleveland and Buffalo are sports crazy cities so it sucks that neither city has had a championship for so long.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post

Yeah it's Buffalo by far. thank god the Bandits and Bisons aren't cursed. But rumor has that ralph Wilson Stadium was built on an old Indian Cemetary, that's why they can't win. The Sabres i don't but, ever since they left the Aud things never were the same... aka "Glory Days" its sad. i just hope that the Sabres win just once before i kick the bucket. Which won't be for a long time. I also think that when the Sabres do win. Lol Buffalo will be just like in Bruce Almighty..... Chaos

Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,252,667 times
I thought you meant the sports city most cursed at.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,494,389 times
Cleveland wins this. While going to 4 straight SBs and losing sucks...you went to 4 STRAIGHT SUPERBOWLS! That right there gives Cle the edge. The fiasco with the browns also hurts.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Cleveland wins this. While going to 4 straight SBs and losing sucks...you went to 4 STRAIGHT SUPERBOWLS! That right there gives Cle the edge. The fiasco with the browns also hurts.
I'd say the cities are about tied, but I'd give Cleveland the slight advantage. Cleveland has three major sports and Buffalo only has 2. It does really suck getting so close to a championship, but than losing in the end. Im only 17 so I don't really remember the Indians losing the 1995 world series or the 1997 one. From what I hear the 1997 world series was harder to swallow because they were so close, but blew it. I remember the Cavs losing the 06-07 finals though and that sucked alot because it was the first time I ever had to see a Cleveland team get so close but than choke.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,200,556 times
I'll never forget the 97 series, Renteria singles in extra innings to win it in Game 7 for the Marlins. That had to be painful, especially since the Marlins were only in there 5th year and the first wild card team to win a WS.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:36 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,004,791 times
The Cleveland Crunch won a handful of NPSL titles in the 1990s

Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,453,605 times
Atlanta makes the list. Yes, the Braves won in '95, but the season started late because of a strike or lockout that year, so that's an asterisk to me. Besides that, to have only one championship with all those great teams throughout the 90's and early 2000's was definitely indicative of a curse. Who can ever forget the Rocket Ismail punt return that was called back in that Orange Bowl between Colorado and Notre Dame? That would have given Notre Dame the win and Georgia Tech the outright national title that year.....instead they had to share it. Falcons - one Super Bowl appearance in what - 43 years? And that was a big fluke as it turned out. Flames moved to Calgary, Thrashers have been one of the worst NHL franchises since the day they were born, with only one playoff appearance and no playoff wins. Hawks - many great teams when Dominique was there, but could never get past Boston or Detroit....never even been to the NBA finals.

All that said, Cleveland wins, hands down. Those poor, poor people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports