Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,620,932 times

Advertisements

Haven't played since Tuesday. Feels like an eternity......have played a lot of tennis lately instead. Anyone play both sports - I find it screws up my golf when I play tennis, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM

521 posts, read 863,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Getting out to Wellshire Golf Course in about an hour. 1923 design by Donald Ross. Pics to follow.

Wellshire screwed me over. Long story short, the didn't honor my tee time. Ended up getting out to my local track and played horribly - 49 with 19 putts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Haven't played since Tuesday. Feels like an eternity......have played a lot of tennis lately instead. Anyone play both sports - I find it screws up my golf when I play tennis, and vice versa.

Wife and I play tennis but only recreationally and against each other. Just something else to burn calories instead of sitting around the house watching the boob tube.

We're playing at Hyland South this evening. I'll get some pictures since there's actually a couple holes that look really cool.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 AM

Got up at 4:30 to watch TW and the Open. First hole of the round is a par-3. Unusual. Think I'll be watching a lot of golf this weekend. TW birdied the first hole, btw.

Last edited by BucFan; 07-19-2012 at 02:53 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 03:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,255,568 times
Adam Scott leading The Open after 1st round with Tiger and a few other Yanks in range. How 'bout a 36 hole pairing of Scott and TW over the weekend? Choose your weapons.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM

6,614 posts, read 11,377,806 times
So...... What's the worst weather you've played golf in?

We had a inter-club match scheduled today (B-team matches). The weather was so bad our course was closed due to standing water. However, due to scheduling limitations, we pretty much had to play (playoffs start in a couple of weeks). So we ended up playing all matches at our opponent's course (they actually ended up closing the course to members as well). This was absolutely the most dismal weather I've every played golf in. It was constant rain, and there was standing water on just about all of the greens. Nothing like hitting a putt pretty much as hard as you can... and watch it rooster tail about 6' and stop. And of course, minimal roll (which I guess is good to really see how far you carry your shots). The only things going for us is that it wasn't too cold (70's) and the wind was minimal. But geez... never played golf where we had to basically move our balls on the green (no closer to the hole!!) so we didn't put through puddles of water. All the holes had water that was level with the green surface.

And given that my philosophy is that if you need rain gear, you shouldn't really be playing.... I have no rain gear. which made it just that much more .....fun.

what an experience. Our hosts were incredibly gracious and a great bunch though.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 AM

8,237 posts, read 23,221,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
39 degrees in November with leaves all over the course and the wind that day was steady and strong but that's what you get when you get a free round of golf and you redeem it on the last day available.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 AM

521 posts, read 863,164 times
Can't sleep so I figured I'd post these of Buffalo Run. These pictures don't even come close to doing this place any justice. Already one of my favorites but I like it more and more every time I get out there. Shot a lame-ass 49 with 17 putts and a nine on the second hole. My head wasn't there but that's still no excuse for some of those god-awful shots.

Pics taken 7-20

Hole 1 - Par 4 362/Blue 412/Tips

Hole 4 - Par 3 162/Blue 220/Tips

Hole 5 - Par 4 391/Blue 453/Tips

Hole 6 - Par 5 529/Blue 607/Tips

Hole 7 - Par 3 171/Blue 210/Tips

Hole 8 - Par 4 375/Blue 461/Tips

Last tee shot sunset:

No clue what happened to two, three, and nine. SD card monster ate 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

Riverdale Dunes this past April. Wind was at least 45 sustained with gusts to 65-75. I'll never forget that round of golf, ever. Just thinking about it is making me a little anxious. lol

Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,530,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I a much more avid tennis player. Personally I don't think golf has any impact on my tennis (I've played my whole life and at a pretty high level), and I'm just plain bad at golf. I wish I could blame it on something like tennis though instead, I'm just a very, very bad golfer. And seem destined to for the rest of my life.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Well, shot a 75 and 82 over the last couple of days. The tennis didn't seem to hurt by golf game like I thought. I think tennis ground strokes strengthen my forearms and I get noticeable extra distance on my golf shots. Both involve swing planes that you have to be mindful of.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Gained a lot of respect for the way Adam Scott handled himself after the loss. Feel really bad for him. Even the Big Easy alluded to "the gift" in his ceremonial speech. Hope Scott can win a major soon. He really deserved to win it - just four bogeys at the end did him in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports