Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,104,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The TV announcers said a few times "no one saw this coming" What the h---

He was capable of winning the tournament no doubt about it.
Were a dozen or more younger players favored to win it? Sure.

It was a great day for the world of golf.

Watson and Langer have shown how to win at an older age. Stay in in the fairway and hang around even par each day. Phil had rounds of -2, -3, -2, +1. He's capable of that type of scoring going forward.
The British Open and the U.S. Open are events which can be had with scores around even par. Back in 2013 Phil won The Open with 3 under.
Will Phil win next months U.S. Open? Highly unlikely but is he capable of winning it? Absolutely

He did the ultimate - won a major at the oldest age in history, and the only player ever to win a major at age 50. To me that is just shocking. On the longest course in major history.

And just looking at Phil's body, you know he never took 'roids like I think Tiger did. You can tell he's got a sort of "dad bod'".

I am not crazy about Phil (like I said, the way he treated Watson at the RC was something I still haven't forgiven for and forever tainted my view of him), but simply put: Phil is a LIVING LEGEND. Best southpaw ever, and easily in my view top--10 of all time, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
This happens a lot in sports - where people of different ages "debate" which era was better etc....
Since I wasn't around in the 60's, I'm not going to go there..

That said - as of this AM, there are 11 people that have won more majors than Phil - going back over 100 years.
There are only 7 people that have won more PGA tournaments than Phil. And he's among 35 people in the history of the PGA Tour to have gotten the life time exemption status... Oh - and did I mention that he won his first PGA tournament... as an amateur?

I agree with Kavalier that there is a reason why he's also been called FIGJAM and "Shooter". And you don't have to like him (I don't). But it's delusional to say he's not a great golfer. I get this is also highly subjective - but in sports, we often compare greatness via statistics, and Phil's accomplishments pretty much speaks for itself.

As for the Masters - I think the fact that you don't remember who won (2nd was a skinny kid that was the talk of the tournament) when that person's face was plastered all over the TV this past weekend not to mention he was actually contending going into Saturday may speak more about your knowledge of today's game....
Yeah, ever since Steve Williams put him on blast, I was like, okay...maybe there's something there. The Tom Watson treatment solidified it for me.

But the talent is undeniable. He is a freaking legend. To have won at 50, on longest course in major history, and to have grinded like he did...easily one of the greatest victories in the history of the game.

I think he was 300-to-1.

So if any of you have enough foresight to slap $1,000.00 down on Lefty, you'd be $300,000.00 richer today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 08:56 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,744,556 times
You guys are singing in perfect harmony with OJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWsyczj7-4

The rest of it is people saying what they think they have to say - especially in Jack's case. He wasn't impressed....because there was no reason to be.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:20 PM

1,013 posts, read 728,930 times
We have visited Kiawah a few times and once the guys played the Ocean course. Both our sons (excellent golfers) said it’s the hardest course they ever played and they’ve played a bunch of them. It was brutal yesterday—congratulations to Phil and anyone who finished anywhere near par.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:47 PM

14,513 posts, read 20,718,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Won't be hard for me. I've never liked the guy or been impressed by him.
That's obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
He did the ultimate - won a major at the oldest age in history, and the only player ever to win a major at age 50. To me that is just shocking. On the longest course in major history.
Phil is easily in my view top--10 of all time, as well.
But the talent is undeniable. He is a freaking legend. To have won at 50, on longest course in major history, and to have grinded like he did...easily one of the greatest victories in the history of the game.
You got it right.

The caption on this photo says it all. It wasn't a fluke. It was the strongest field it could possibly be except for Tiger or some other players who failed to get into the event.
Attached Thumbnails
CD Golf Thread-untitleddddqazxsw.jpg  

Old 05-24-2021, 04:59 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,542,235 times
I've been a fan of Phil's for a while now - mainly because of the Masters - I seen him win a few. Last few years I'm watching the other tourneys on weekends as well. Never was a fan of Tiger, but I didn't know much about golf, then. Looking at the stats, Tiger was, indeed, otherworldly. I did see him win his last Masters - quite a feat after his last few years.

I was particularly taken with second place Zalatoris at the 2021 Masters (stunning final putt at 18) - he's got "winner" written all over him - not to mention 'hungry.' And, yes, Hideki Matsuyama won the Masters. I've noticed him the past few years as well. Zalatoris is one to watch. That kid's got it.

Sorry to read Phil can be jerkish when it isn't warranted. He's been criticized as "not one of the guys" - and explains that by saying it's "him and Amy 24/7" - so he's probably in too much of a bubble and needs a bit more maturing. At almost 51 and his level of achievement, there is no excuse. Yes, he's "better than that" and should not be disrespectful just to be a wiseazz.

I couldn't believe Saturday's paper raving about Phil's performance on Friday. So, I spent the weekend tuned in to the tourney. I fully expected Phil would fade on Sunday - but he hung on. Much to be said for having one's nose out in front going into Sunday.

And, yes, as if the winds weren't bad enough, that course looked to be an absolute beotch. Gotta give it to Phil's experience which is what may have won it for him in the end.

Happy, happy, happy Phil at almost 51 y/o won this. Yes, that shot at five was a wonderful fluke, but I kind of had a feeling the gods of golf were in Phil's corner when I saw him putt on Saturday - ball curved at exactly the right time - almost as though a hand was guiding it. Don't remember the hole. Do remember thinking, looks like there's someone out there taking care of Phil. So, I wasn't totally surprised he pulled it off. Would have preferred he birdied 18, but you can't have everything. Interesting he's had so many putts just sit on the edge of the hole. The accuracy is there, for sure.

He can do it again - if he can keep up the focus. Faldo was saying each hole is a project - the mental energy required to win is what separates the winners from us lesser mortals.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-24-2021 at 05:45 PM..

Old 05-25-2021, 06:42 AM

6,594 posts, read 11,312,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I've been a fan of Phil's for a while now - mainly because of the Masters - I seen him win a few. Last few years I'm watching the other tourneys on weekends as well. Never was a fan of Tiger, but I didn't know much about golf, then. Looking at the stats, Tiger was, indeed, otherworldly. I did see him win his last Masters - quite a feat after his last few years.

I was particularly taken with second place Zalatoris at the 2021 Masters (stunning final putt at 18) - he's got "winner" written all over him - not to mention 'hungry.' And, yes, Hideki Matsuyama won the Masters. I've noticed him the past few years as well. Zalatoris is one to watch. That kid's got it.

Sorry to read Phil can be jerkish when it isn't warranted. He's been criticized as "not one of the guys" - and explains that by saying it's "him and Amy 24/7" - so he's probably in too much of a bubble and needs a bit more maturing. At almost 51 and his level of achievement, there is no excuse. Yes, he's "better than that" and should not be disrespectful just to be a wiseazz.

I couldn't believe Saturday's paper raving about Phil's performance on Friday. So, I spent the weekend tuned in to the tourney. I fully expected Phil would fade on Sunday - but he hung on. Much to be said for having one's nose out in front going into Sunday.

And, yes, as if the winds weren't bad enough, that course looked to be an absolute beotch. Gotta give it to Phil's experience which is what may have won it for him in the end.

Happy, happy, happy Phil at almost 51 y/o won this. Yes, that shot at five was a wonderful fluke, but I kind of had a feeling the gods of golf were in Phil's corner when I saw him putt on Saturday - ball curved at exactly the right time - almost as though a hand was guiding it. Don't remember the hole. Do remember thinking, looks like there's someone out there taking care of Phil. So, I wasn't totally surprised he pulled it off. Would have preferred he birdied 18, but you can't have everything. Interesting he's had so many putts just sit on the edge of the hole. The accuracy is there, for sure.

He can do it again - if he can keep up the focus. Faldo was saying each hole is a project - the mental energy required to win is what separates the winners from us lesser mortals.
For someone that looks more like the golfer of yester-year in terms of physique, Phil has actually been relatively injury-less. Obviously, he has his arthritis issues. But he seems to actually be in better shape now than the plumpy guy at the hight of his career. So this may actually help him. So there may be a few more if he can keep his focus dialed in.

As for his personality - Phil is Phil. He's a bit of a douche. I do think he had a chip on his shoulder being one of the greatest golfers out there... only to be playing while THE greatest golfer of our generation was playing at the same time. Regardless - you can't deny his talent. Same goes for Bryson and Reed. Albeit Reed seems like just a straight up jerk. Hard for me to pull for those latter two - period.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:36 AM

1,013 posts, read 728,930 times
Jordan Spieth said on Sunday that the wind would favor a left-hander. Not sure how much of a factor it was but wind never let up and Phil out-lasted the others.

That mob on 18 at the end was unnerving to watch. They may need to have more security for future majors. I know it’s customary to do that (fans follow the last group on the 18th fairway) in the (British) Open but they aren’t unruly there.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:02 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,104,969 times
Faldo on Dan Patrick yesterday said Tiger's Masters win in 2019 was bigger.

I call bull----. Phil - the oldest winner ever, in an era when the youngsters are murdering long tracks - is in my view easily a bigger/harder win that Tiger's 2019 Masters win.

And with what Tom Watson did at the Open at age 59, and since Phil knows how to win an Open, he definitely could win another major (Open???).

Someone on a golf board suggested he try to win back-to-back, play the Senior PGA this week. Phil would probably put that whole field to shame with what he just did at the Ocean Course.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:02 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,744,556 times
Phil is not going to win any more majors. If he wins again at all it will be on the senior tour.

One of these days you guys will come back down to earth and realize that we're not talkin' about Tiger in 1997 here. Phil has a long track record and all of you know how much higher this weekend result was than the trajectory he has been on. He had lots of good fortune and guys like Koepka had lots of bad. That's all it takes sometimes, but that doesn't mean it will happen again....ever.

There are TWO....and only TWO.... truly great golfers alive today and neither played the 2021 PGA.

A refresher on what GREAT golf really looks like.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fg4sZLrjwA

Old 05-26-2021, 01:04 PM

14,513 posts, read 20,718,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Happy, happy, happy Phil at almost 51 y/o won this. Yes, that shot at five was a wonderful fluke, but I kind of had a feeling the gods of golf were in Phil's corner when I saw him putt on Saturday - ball curved at exactly the right time - almost as though a hand was guiding it. Would have preferred he birdied 18, but you can't have everything. Interesting he's had so many putts just sit on the edge of the hole. The accuracy is there, for sure.
I don't know where the stats would be acquired but a part of Phil's success is his play around the greens and in sand traps. He's got a club in his bag that no other golfers have. Art Wall had 40 hole in ones in his career. All luck? He had the right direction and the right distance and speed to give it a chance to go in. 40 times.
Phil is always capable of sinking a shot off the green or in the sand since he's done it likely dozens of times.
I believe he will make the cut at Torrey Pines. He's won on that course and now it's being groomed as a "tough to score" US Open. He can hang around even par and make the cut and better. Don't be surprised if he makes the top 15 or 10. His weakness is trying to hit bombs so even if the results are terrible he's close enough to the green to scramble for a par. He needs to use "placement" of shots. He can't survive missing so many fairways at his age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports