Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 06:45 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I've had a number of friends over the course of my life who, like you, didn't embrace teams on both sides of the bay. I'm curious now as to why (re them), but I never bothered to ask any of them.

I was brought up rooting for all.

The Niners didn't exist, nor the NBA, until my dad was an adult.

He had to subsist...locally in the Bay Area...on college sports and the PCL minor league baseball.

He loved having MLB, the NBA, and professional (American) football in the Bay Area.

My parents took me to the 1962 World Series games in SF, but I was too little to absorb anything.

I loved it when the A's came in '68.

Raiders QB Daryle Lamonica was one of my neighbor's hunting buddies.

My dad took me to the last game the Niners played at Kezar Stadium (it was in 1970 against the Falcons).

For a couple of years, before the Raiders moved into the Coliseum (which, IIRC was in 1966), my dad had season tickets for the Raiders just for himself (I think he needed that me time during that brief period....my mother was 'driving him nuts' ).
There was no professional football west of the Mississippi until 1946 - 49ers and the Rams moved from Cleveland to Los Angeles. That had to be a difficult growing up with no football. Though the Bay Area had decent college football with St. Mary's, Stanford, Cal, Santa Clara, and USF.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:28 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Riffing off of Boothwynman's, CelticFan's, and Beach43ofus's threads on current sports teams that fall short, and from a thread up in the Detroit forum started by Yaz, who was considering a road trip from Arizona to Detroit to watch the Tigers, I thought that I'd also post some of my response to Yaz's query here.

Which sports town currently has the most disappointed fans?

I offer up the following for consideration:
  • The Pistons are currently the worst team in the NBA, haven't been to the post season since 2019, and haven't won a post season game since 2008. They've basically been rebuilding since 2008.
  • The Red Wings are currently in the bottom third of the NHL, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and haven't advanced from the first round of the post season since 2013. They've been in rebuilding mode since 2017.
  • The Tigers are currently in the bottom half of MLB, haven't been to the post season since 2014. They are also in a rebuilding phase since 2017.
  • The Lions are currently in the middle of the NFL pack, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and have won only one post season game since 1962. Right now, the Lions are currently considered the best of the four professional sports teams in Detroit.

If there's a place in the US that has it worst, tell me about it. It might soothe my anguish.
"opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one".

A REAL fan roots for their team through thick AND thin.

Otherwise they are NOT rally a fan!

Old 02-23-2024, 12:55 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
No, you're thinking "hardcore fan." A casual, temporary, or occasional fan is still a fan.

Personally, I always care about my home teams. But when they're good they get my closer attention.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:15 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one".
Yes, thanks for demonstrating the concept.

Quote:
A REAL fan roots for their team through thick AND thin.

Otherwise they are NOT rally a fan!
So you're saying that a REAL fan of cornflakes wouldn't care if someone peed in their cereal bowl every morning, they'd just chow it down with enthusiasm?

Me, I'd push the bowl away, complain to management, and demand a fresh and untainted bowl of breakfast cereal.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:14 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Yes, thanks for demonstrating the concept.

So you're saying that a REAL fan of cornflakes wouldn't care if someone peed in their cereal bowl every morning, they'd just chow it down with enthusiasm?

Me, I'd push the bowl away, complain to management, and demand a fresh and untainted bowl of breakfast cereal.
Professional sports are the only form of entertainment where the consumer is blamed if they don’t support an inferior product.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:03 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Professional sports are the only form of entertainment where the consumer is blamed if they don’t support an inferior product.
Which says something for individual character. It takes integrity and compassion to support your home team regardless of won-lost record versus becoming a bandwagon fan for the latest top team in a city you don't live in, for the sheer fact you feel the need to be associated with a "winner".

Old 03-02-2024, 11:16 AM

735 posts, read 407,850 times
Boston!

Patriots, No Brady and Belichick

Celtics, favorites almost every year but choke

Bruins, best record in hockey lose in the playoffs

Red Sox, mediocre play since the World Series

Boston has very high expectations and the teams don’t meet them. That expectation level causes a lot of stress

Old 03-02-2024, 08:23 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Come on, they excel in humble bragging...apparently.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:35 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Come on, they excel in humble bragging...apparently.
I see his point. But Boston really wins at just about every sport except NCAA basketball and NCAA football.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:09 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which says something for individual character. It takes integrity and compassion to support your home team regardless of won-lost record versus becoming a bandwagon fan for the latest top team in a city you don't live in, for the sheer fact you feel the need to be associated with a "winner".
Somewhere in there is a grey area. Like remaining a fan of the team and not switching allegiances, but also refusing to give them any money until they improve their product. One of the reasons the Cubs were bad for so many decades was because the fans never put pressure on the organization to improve. Wrigley Field sold out either way so why bother? Same with the Knicks in MSG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports