Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 09:25 AM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times

Advertisements

I'm a little surprised that nobody has picked Phoenix.

The last time the Cardinals won an NFL Championship was in 1947. Two cities later and the Cardinals nearly won a super bowl in the 2008 season, losing in the last minute.

The Arizona Diamondbacks won the World Series in 2001. It's their only time. They came into the league in 1998.

The Phoenix Coyotes have never won the Stanley Cup. Formerly known as the Winnipeg Jets, moving to Arizona in 1997.

The Phoenix Suns have never won an NBA Championship. they've come close, I think back to the 1975-6 season and the great final series against the Boston Celtics. They came into the league in 1968.

Old 08-14-2023, 03:46 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm a little surprised that nobody has picked Phoenix.

The last time the Cardinals won an NFL Championship was in 1947. Two cities later and the Cardinals nearly won a super bowl in the 2008 season, losing in the last minute.

The Arizona Diamondbacks won the World Series in 2001. It's their only time. They came into the league in 1998.

The Phoenix Coyotes have never won the Stanley Cup. Formerly known as the Winnipeg Jets, moving to Arizona in 1997.

The Phoenix Suns have never won an NBA Championship. they've come close, I think back to the 1975-6 season and the great final series against the Boston Celtics. They came into the league in 1968.
You bring up a good point but I remember the Diamondbacks World Series win, then I remembered that was 22 years ago!

At least the Cardinals have a kind of (in my mind anyway because I remember watching it live!) recent Super Bowl appearance, even if it ended in heartbreaking fashion, ditto the Suns recent Finals run. I'm pretty sure Minnesota aside from the Lynx haven't had a conference Championship win since the Twins in 1991, Tennessee just has two so far.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:34 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
You bring up a good point but I remember the Diamondbacks World Series win, then I remembered that was 22 years ago!

At least the Cardinals have a kind of (in my mind anyway because I remember watching it live!) recent Super Bowl appearance, even if it ended in heartbreaking fashion, ditto the Suns recent Finals run. I'm pretty sure Minnesota aside from the Lynx haven't had a conference Championship win since the Twins in 1991, Tennessee just has two so far.
Houston has, of course the Astros two titles, and the Rockets two titles, and the Texans have only been in existence since 2002.....but....the Texans are the only team in the AFC South that has never been to the AFC Championship Game.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:54 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Houston has, of course the Astros two titles, and the Rockets two titles, and the Texans have only been in existence since 2002.....but....the Texans are the only team in the AFC South that has never been to the AFC Championship Game.
The Oilers won two AFL championships in 1960 and 1961, so that is 6 championships from the four major sports. Not too bad. Not nearly as bad as Buffalo, I'd say, or Phoenix.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:01 PM

1,538 posts, read 867,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
The Oilers won two AFL championships in 1960 and 1961, so that is 6 championships from the four major sports. Not too bad. Not nearly as bad as Buffalo, I'd say, or Phoenix.
I don't think the AFL (or NFL for that matter) is equivalent to a Super Bowl, NBA title, World Series or Stanley Cup.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I don't think the AFL (or NFL for that matter) is equivalent to a Super Bowl, NBA title, World Series or Stanley Cup.
HA! Do you not know your football history? The NFL counts all AFL records as official... so yep, those AFL titles DO count as championships.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:34 PM

1,538 posts, read 867,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
HA! Do you not know your football history? The NFL counts all AFL records as official... so yep, those AFL titles DO count as championships.
An NFL or AFL championship is only equivalent to an AFC or NFC title before the Super Bowl.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:39 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Oakland recently lost two of their major pro sports franchises, and there's a good chance they'll be losing the A's in the near future. I suppose they could always fall back on the SF teams, but that seems like taking pity charity from your rich neighbor.
This. Aside from the Sharks down the road in San Jose, Oakland was always my sports town, and it’s about to be a ghost town. And I’m not finna switch to San Francisco teams. Raiders left me football homeless and the A’s look to do the same. I’ll switch to LA teams before I go SF or root for the formerly Oakland turncoats! At least if GSW leaves, I can look to Sac.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:39 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This. Aside from the Sharks down the road in San Jose, Oakland was always my sports town, and it’s about to be a ghost town. And I’m not finna switch to San Francisco teams. Raiders left me football homeless and the A’s look to do the same. I’ll switch to LA teams before I go SF or root for the formerly Oakland turncoats! At least if GSW leaves, I can look to Sac.
I’m personally not too broken up about the Dubs crossing the Bay (other than lost revenue for Alameda County) because they’ve always been the Bay Area’s team, hence the name. The A’s are dead to me though, and I never took to the Raiders since Al was talking about leaving Oakland again almost as soon as he returned.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
An NFL or AFL championship is only equivalent to an AFC or NFC title before the Super Bowl.
No it is not. They are both world championships. Look at the NFL record books. NFL and AFL titles prior to the first AFL-NFL World Championship are considered world championships. At the time, they were the highest level of championship.

Your recency bias makes no sense because you are trying to take away something from teams that earned it.

So are you saying if 50 years from now the Super Bowl isn't the highest level of football championship, because there has been evolution to a new format, it do they no longer count as championships won?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports