Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:59 PM

5,625 posts, read 6,016,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post

That makes even more sense. Thanks. Isn't that terribly exploitative of the NFL and college teams? It's not like the NFL is saying they have to wait until they're a certain age to play, they know they're already playing. They're just shoring up the college football scene by refusing to take players. Are they in cahoots?
Is it three years after graduation or a certain age? The kids would be better off just staying at high school.
Been quite a bit of debate on this. College football is basically the minor leagues for the NFL.
It really is exploitative in my opinion. People can argue the "value of education" all they want but for each student athlete, there are many more making hundreds of thousands of dollars or even millions. Some CFB coaches get millions per year while the players making the plays can't even accept a free meal at risk of compliance issues. The NFL can have the talent develop beyond high school without paying a thing until after college. For MLB, the teams at least have to invest in their minor league talent to develop them unless they're already good enough. I went to Texas A&M back when Ryan Swope was a top receiver on the team. Made a lot of key plays. Some that undoubtedly helped A&M win games. He was never top NFL quality by any means but he still ended up getting drafted by the Cardinals. Had to retire due to concussion issues. I remember watching when Marcus Lattimore injured his knee. Such a promising future but his knee was just toast. I don't even remember what the actual injury was. I just remember watching his lower leg go in a direction it should never go. Another player that surely brought a lot of money to his school but never got to the stage where he could really make the big bucks.

Now, for smaller sports, I don't see as much an issue. My sister got most of her college paid for by playing soccer. She was never going to play at a higher level and the soccer program doesn't bring that much money in. Not enough to really profit off of and there was no risk of ending a future soccer career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 06:35 PM

8,347 posts, read 8,826,239 times
Most college football teams lose money. Almost all college basketball teams lose money. There may be a handful of women's sports that don't lose money.

Coaches only make the big money at the top schools. An assistant at D3 may get $700 a month with no benefits. Read football scoop to see the salaries.

A few years ago I read that 2000+ players got D1 scholarships that year. Only about 45 would have been admitted to Stanford.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 PM

79,630 posts, read 61,828,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most college football teams lose money. Almost all college basketball teams lose money. There may be a handful of women's sports that don't lose money.

Coaches only make the big money at the top schools. An assistant at D3 may get $700 a month with no benefits. Read football scoop to see the salaries.

A few years ago I read that 2000+ players got D1 scholarships that year. Only about 45 would have been admitted to Stanford.
Source that please. Because I'd like to know if they are including donations and merchandise or just looking at gate receipts.

Because when I see a Texas shirt and hat on someone...you can bet it's not because of their lacrosse team.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
A few things...

1. The vast majority of football players that I have known that played in college did just fine academically. That would go for the vast majority of all college athletes that I've known. For the most part the "dumb jock" stereotype is largely a myth. Sure, there are a minority of players that have incredible skill, but struggle academically and are "helped along", but this is far and away not the majority.

2. In the world of football lineman are widely known as the smartest players on the field. That is even proven in the Wonderlic scores where the top four "smartest" positions in order are: offensive tackle, center, quarterback, offensive guard. The least are the running/full backs and receivers. So that your interior line monster being a museum nerd doesn't surprise me in the least.

3. Most support structure around the athletes, especially in the football program, is there for a very important reason...the daily life of a D1 athlete is IMMENSELY more demanding than ANY regular student on that campus, period. Not only do they have to live up to the demands placed on them academically, but the demands placed on them by their team, the school community at large and do it all under a microscope. Sorry, but I've lived it. Most people are completely clueless to the extreme demands placed on you when you're in a program...it's enough to turn an otherwise smart person into a "geranium".
I appreciate your comments.

I would note that you didn't exactly go to one of the big-time football schools and you went to one with a good academic rep.

Let's face it, Northwestern isn't going to be like say...Ohio State....or more improtantly Vandy isn't going to be like most of the rest of the SEC.

I went to U of IL and when I was there I tutored 4 guys.
3 had no business on the campus.
1 was solid...actually they went on to a pro-bowl and superbowl ring. (probably why)

I have no doubt that the guys are say Northwester are fairly sharp but not as sharp as the typical student there. It will clearly vary from program to program but let's be honest....really good schools might have good students in their football program but compared to the rest of the student body????? Generally no.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:45 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,572,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The idea of college athletes being dumb is a meme. If you get accepted into a decent college with a high division sports team, you didn't get in just on sports merit alone.

I have worked in literacy programs for years and find it pretty easy to identify people who cannot read.

When I worked at a major university in compliance in the athletic department, there were at least eight athletes on the football team who could not read at even a high school level. Through magical means, these athletes were miraculously able to pass the required four classes a semester to remain on the football team.

This school prides itself on being the flagship university in the state. However, athletes are held to a much lower standard academically as well as behaviorally.

I will say that there are a lot of athletes on campus who are very bright and who are able to use their athletic ability to pay for a college education that otherwise, they could not afford. Many of them do very well where they move on to their career position.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep and we only see the tip of the ice-burg.

For the big time players....cash payments, jobs and lodging for family, hookers....skys the limit.

I do not know of too many athletes paying (or receiving) hookers. They are getting all they need from the young ladies without paying

Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 PM

12,641 posts, read 8,415,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I do not know of too many athletes paying (or receiving) hookers. They are getting all they need from the young ladies without paying
The suspicion is that many of the groupies especially when a player is being recruited are student/sex workers

Old 08-06-2016, 05:08 PM

17,801 posts, read 18,123,224 times
I work at a hospital boiler room. Not long ago our housekeeping department hired a guy who just got through playing 4 years of college football but wasn't drafted. His level of education qualified him to haul trash to the dumpster. His level of maturity caused him to be fired within a few months.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:40 PM

The primary reason for a football or basketball program is marketing the university.

When schools are successful in those sports, the number of applications for admission to the school generally increases. Schools like Butler would not be as well known if they were nor successful in basketball.

Believe it or not, this extends even to the non-scholarship programs like Mount Union University and the University of Wisconsin- Whitewater.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Yeah, I should have been more specific and referred to them as "booster whooores"....but hooker...booster ho...all the same imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports