Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:56 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,014,375 times

Advertisements

Go directly to the NFL ?

The NFL would eat up 99% of the 18 year olds who went from high school to the NFL.

Even in MLB, a top high school player starts out low in the minors and works his way up.

College football serves as the minor league of the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,615,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) I actually know a guy that is the head coach of a major college football program. They make millions a year but until you reach that level assistants not so much...but yeah you are correct.

2) American schools have academic scholarships. My kid got a full scholarship for such.

3) Head coaches make a lot because they affect results, often through management of personnel and recruiting. There are some really ****ty coaches making fat stacks because they recruit well like in basketball....Bobby Huggins.

P.S. Upper class, Middle class and working class alike root like crazy for BOTH pro and college teams. There is no difference that I've ever noticed.
Do you kind sharing which achool, or at least which state? I had assumed my kids would get scholarships for high school, but not a single school I've looked at offers them, only income based financial aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
American football has different positions which require a wide variety of sizes/skills. Your presumably "in shape" looking people populate the "skill" positions of wide receiver/running back/quarterback/safety/cornerback. Speed and quickness are paramount along with being able to catch the ball at full speed.

The larger players are typically not just fat guys. They could run circles around most normal non-athletic people, while at the same time flipping over cars. There job is to be large, quick and strong to either protect the quarterback from other similarly large/strong people, open holes for the running backs or in the case of defensive lineman, attack through the giant offensive linemen. The reality is that a team without this size would be trampled and completely ineffective.

What you also find is that the majority of players going from high school to college are not big and strong enough to play at the college level at age 18 so they "redshirt" them. This means they practice with the team and are put on a workout and eating regimen so they can gain weight and put on muscle in order to compete. In football, there have maybe been a handful of people total over the last few decades ready to go from high school to the NFL directly - the game is just too fast at that level and the players too strong.

As to your comment of why they bother to go to college at all, there is no other opportunity for them after high school to play for a "club" football team (or minor league team). College football is the minor leagues for the professional level.
Hugely informative, thank you.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,615,919 times
Quote:
Um, logically that doesn't make any sense.

Mens football and basketball make piles of money....everything else not so much.

That's not even getting into school donations which spike with high-profile sports success.
The college makes more than just straight profit off those kids. In addition to donations from alumni who are kept involved by having games to watch, they attract more students. More applications means more denied, which increases your selectivity and so makes you more attractive to potential students. It's criminal that the players aren't paid.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:09 PM

78,686 posts, read 60,878,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
The college makes more than just straight profit off those kids. In addition to donations from alumni who are kept involved by having games to watch, they attract more students. More applications means more denied, which increases your selectivity and so makes you more attractive to potential students. It's criminal that the players aren't paid.
Paying some players gets really messy, not saying they shouldn't though.

I wonder if that would get into potential Title 9 issues where the mens basketball team makes the school 10mil and then the womens volleyball team which loses 30k annually comes in wanting the same pay.

Especially galling however is that they use these players likenesses for advertising etc. and they don't get paid for that either.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM

78,686 posts, read 60,878,962 times
Quote:
Do you kind sharing which achool, or at least which state? I had assumed my kids would get scholarships for high school, but not a single school I've looked at offers them, only income based financial aid.
It was a college scholarship, not highschool.

Private highschools in the US that I am aware of only give income based but.....might work with your kid if they're a good athlete at least that's what the catholic school in the next town over did when I was growing up.

Many parts of the US have top-tier public highschools. My kid went to public highschool (Kansas) and it cost me maybe $500 a year for fees etc. Their school routinely sends kids off to the best colleges in the US.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,593,866 times
the nfl requires 2 years after high school graduation to enter the draft.
the nba requires 1 year after high school graduation to enter the draft if you are usa born (commissioner sterns mentioned that the 1-and-done rule doesnt apply to european and chinese born players since players in those leagues are more mature).

mlb and nhl dont have any age restrictions.

cbs paid $11 billion for the broadcast rights of march madness for 10 years (all division-1 conferences, leagues and associations have revenue sharing).
the football bcs championship nets the largest 5 conferences a lot of money every year.

the mlb and nhl pay a lot of money to support their minor leagues; ncaa is effectively minor league nfl and nba (the usa taxpayer is subsidizing scholarships).

last year the college world series was on espn-2 between pba bowling and allstar poker; i dont even think the college hockey championships are televised.

because the talent from the 2 largest sports are forced to participate the schools make more money. (students are forbidden from earning a living in an amature league).
Quote:

And an unrelated question, why are some of the players in excellent physical shape and some are really obese? The show is saying they're all very good, it's not just lumping the fat guys in with the athletes.

Most popular sport in the USA and why?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-04-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 04:45 PM

5,961 posts, read 4,225,636 times
Quote:
Um, logically that doesn't make any sense.

Mens football and basketball make piles of money....everything else not so much.

That's not even getting into school donations which spike with high-profile sports success.
Not all men's football teams make piles of money. The big ones do, but many smaller schools don't. Some lose money on the sport. Hence, the statement "It isn't actually true that all schools make money on college football" does make perfect sense.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:58 PM

5,961 posts, read 4,225,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
While some of these athletes may not be learning advanced Physics or whatever some of you all deem a "real" study, some are, in fact, learning lessons that a lot of non- athlete college grads do not possess when they enter the workforce (self-branding, negotiation skills, etc).

I think it depends on how you look at college as well-- do you look at it as a place to get specialized knowledge in one particular field, or do you view it as a place where you are preparing for a profession/career? Personally, I never understood why people get so bent out of shape about the whole "one and done" thing. I look at it like this, if a top athlete, who has worked for many years to get his body and mind in a position where they are able to go pro and leverage their skills into a profession they ENJOY, and they are able to do this before matriculation, who is anyone to judge them?

If a computer science sophomore invents an app and it becomes insanely popular and profitable, would the same people who criticize the athlete criticize this guy when he goes to work for himself inventing more apps?

Success is when preparation and opportunity meet. Some of these students just happen to come across this sooner than others.

You can always go back to school. You cannot, however, have the knees of a 20 yr old for very long.
I think you're missing the point. There's of course nothing wrong with a player spending just one year in school before moving on. The people who debate that are college sports fans who don't want to see the kid leaving college sports.

The issue here is that these kids are taking up academic spots despite the fact that they have very poor academic credentials. Not only that, but based on your post, they are receiving extra career preparation opportunity that kids who do have the academic credentials aren't receiving. Why should idiot Johnny get into a great school more easily because he can throw a ball or swim fast when smart Timmy has to fight it out in the admissions process with everyone else? That doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
To be fair, they are compensated. They are compensated quite well. The ones who bring in big money to the school -- big time football and basketball players -- are almost certainly going on to a career where they will make millions of dollars. The college setting provides them with huge exposure to their future employers, coaching to help get them to the next level and an opportunity to get paid at the end of it all. On top of all of that, the school gives them a free education, housing and food for up to four years that is easily worth over $100k at most schools. That's real compensation.

Think about it in economic terms: For players who don't go on to get hired by a professional team, no one at the professional level is willing to pay them money to play their sport. Why should the colleges be any different? 95% of athletes fall into that category.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 PM

12,416 posts, read 8,209,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think you're missing the point. There's of course nothing wrong with a player spending just one year in school before moving on. The people who debate that are college sports fans who don't want to see the kid leaving college sports.

The issue here is that these kids are taking up academic spots despite the fact that they have very poor academic credentials. Not only that, but based on your post, they are receiving extra career preparation opportunity that kids who do have the academic credentials aren't receiving. Why should idiot Johnny get into a great school more easily because he can throw a ball or swim fast when smart Timmy has to fight it out in the admissions process with everyone else? That doesn't make any sense.

To be fair, they are compensated. They are compensated quite well. The ones who bring in big money to the school -- big time football and basketball players -- are almost certainly going on to a career where they will make millions of dollars. The college setting provides them with huge exposure to their future employers, coaching to help get them to the next level and an opportunity to get paid at the end of it all. On top of all of that, the school gives them a free education, housing and food for up to four years that is easily worth over $100k at most schools. That's real compensation.

Think about it in economic terms: For players who don't go on to get hired by a professional team, no one at the professional level is willing to pay them money to play their sport. Why should the colleges be any different? 95% of athletes fall into that category.
They are not going on to professional sports maybe one student per year at the top college teams. For the other 40 plus football players or 12 basketball players reward is a few more years as a local celebrity and a very few of those make use of the free classroom time

Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,593,866 times
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. And actually, now that I'm up to episode three they're showing that these kids might have talent, but are erratic.

Wouldn't everyone know that a student athlete wasn't as good as a normal student from that college? I mean, I'm a foreigner and I know that.

That makes even more sense. Thanks. Isn't that terribly exploitative of the NFL and college teams? It's not like the NFL is saying they have to wait until they're a certain age to play, they know they're already playing. They're just shoring up the college football scene by refusing to take players. Are they in cahoots?
Is it three years after graduation or a certain age? The kids would be better off just staying at high school.
you should see concussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports