Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 04:53 PM

6,358 posts, read 8,936,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
This thread makes no sense. Basically all teams are named after actual things.

Miami Heat are named after the extreme heat Miami can experience.
Chicago Cubs are named after baby bear.
Chicago Bears are named after grown up bear
Phoenix Suns are named after the star at the center of our solar system.

Are you asking which team names have a connection to the place the team plays? If so I'd say...

Baltimore Ravens - Edgar Allen Poe (The Raven)
Pittsburgh Steelers - large steel industry
Minnesota Vikings - Large Scandinavian population
Minnesota Twins - Twin Cities
the team names that I listed exist are existing terms, everyone of them, that would stand as terms even if there was no baseball team.

what don't you get? "Texas Rangers" are real; they are a law enforcement agency. "Colorado Rockies" are a real mountain range. "Baltimore Orioles" exist as a type of bird.

Of course both the name Twins and Vikings have an association with Minnesota. That's obvious. But there was never known something called "the Minnesota Vikings". the Twin Cities were never known as Minnesota's Twins. Yes, Grizzly, I get it that the Steelers represent Pittsburgh's steel the may that the Pistons represent Detroit as the Motor City. But does the term "Pittsburgh Steelers" exist outside the context of the football team.

If the actual list doesn't work for you, let me try another tack. The following teams, nonexistent I realize, would be examples of what I was getting at..

New York Minutes
Boston Baked Beans
Indianapolis 500's
Kentucky Derbys
Harvard Yards
Chicago Fire (this one actually did exist in soccer)
San Francisco Earthquakes
Massachusetts Bays
Connecticut Yankees
Buffalo Nickels
Virginia Reels
Denver Boots
New England Clam Chowders
Manhattan Clam Chowders
Hawaii 5-0's
Hollywood Studios
Minnesota Nice
Jersey Shores

All those terms actually exist.

The following would not work because the association is there, but the term does not exist...

New York Big Apples
Iowa Corns
New Orleans Riverboats
San Antonio Alamos
Honolulu Tropics
Miami Palms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 12:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,369,893 times
Boston Celtics
Los Angeles Angels
Minnesota Kicks

Old 07-16-2016, 12:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,682,223 times
Illinois - The Fighting Illini - named after Chief Illiniwek

Old 07-17-2016, 10:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,884,760 times
The Celtics qualify due to the large Irish population in the Boston area. The Patriots as well in that Massachusetts was where the American revolution started. No real connection for the Bruins or the Red Sox...

Old 07-17-2016, 11:57 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,440,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
The Celtics qualify due to the large Irish population in the Boston area. The Patriots as well in that Massachusetts was where the American revolution started. No real connection for the Bruins or the Red Sox...
I agree. The Patriots and Celtics do qualify on this.

I also agree with the Angels because Los Angeles is Spanish for The Angels is which is why Los Angeles is nicknamed City of Angels. In fact Rory Markas would often say, "Just another Halos victory" after every Angels.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,138,661 times
Good job Op on trying something different, I got what you are going for, but even after you explain it very well, the very next post is WAY off. I did get a good laugh, so there's that.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:57 AM

6,358 posts, read 8,936,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Good job Op on trying something different, I got what you are going for, but even after you explain it very well, the very next post is WAY off. I did get a good laugh, so there's that.
thanks, Zyngawf.....virtually nobody got the idea.

There are endless teams whose team names relate to their cities.....SF 49ers, NE Patriots, Phi Phillies, LA Angels, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins......etc., etc., etc. But none these are terms that existed outside of the team name. New England Patriots only stand for that..a football team.

Do I dare try more names that made up names that would work? Well, I am a glutton for punishment...

Louisville Sluggers
Charlotte's Webs
Singapore Slings
Tokyo Roses
London Bridges
Denver Omelettes
Columbus Circles (why a team in Ohio would be named for an NYC traffic interchange is beyond me. )
Madison Avenues (why a team in Wisconsin would be named for an NYC street is beyond me. )
Las Vegas Strips
Berlin Walls
Cairo Practors
Hollywood Bowls
Bronx Cheers
Lima Beans
Stockholm Syndromes

Hey, Zyngawf.......never encourage me!!!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:38 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,676,121 times
Quote:
the team name is a real thing!
I dunno, OP. This thread may just be, like, waaay above my IQ. However, I'll attempt to give you an answer...

Yes, I agree that the team name is a REAL thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports