Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is WWE a sport?
Yes 1 4.17%
No 23 95.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:55 PM

14,748 posts, read 14,737,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
It's not a sport, it's a juiced-up soap-opera... And I've been a fan since I was a kid, although I'll admit that the last couple of years have sucked. I don't know if it's the today's talent or the writers, but the storylines just suck nowadays and I find myself going months without watching. WWE peaked during the Attitude Era.
I wouldn't be surprised if potential pro-wrestlers have finally wised up and see a lifetime expectancy of 50 years old and corporate bosses with the compassion of Don King using them up and spitting them out as a not-so-attractive career option.
As to the OP's question, it's athletic entertainment, like roller derby. It requires skill and ability, but the lack of true competition makes it a sporting non-starter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,480,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
It's not a sport, it's a juiced-up soap-opera... And I've been a fan since I was a kid, although I'll admit that the last couple of years have sucked. I don't know if it's the today's talent or the writers, but the storylines just suck nowadays and I find myself going months without watching. WWE peaked during the Attitude Era.
If you want a new style of story lines check out Lucha Underground.Also has some familiar faces from WWE
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32rlhx

Last edited by jambo101; 02-12-2016 at 05:18 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 06:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,798,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Sport, no. Theatre, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's not a sport because it's FAKE. They aren't violent -- they are ACTORS.
Yes, it's definitely theater with actors.

Back in the 70s, my grandfather was a huge "fan". Never missed a show. He fully believed it was all real. I remember watching it with him sometimes as a 8-10 year old and thinking there is no way that is real...it's so fake!

Old 02-12-2016, 03:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,480,826 times
Most of what we see on tv is not real but we enjoy watching it anyway.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:22 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,648,328 times
No. The only competition in the WWE is who sells the most merchandise and who's the best in sucking up to Vince McMahon and his daughter and son-in law.

The results are pre-determined but the wrestlers do feel pain and succumb to injuries.

I don't enjoy watching because it's too predictable and boring. Wrestling or "sports entertainment" hit its peak in the 90s. Wrestling no longer has that mainstream popularity it once had. WWE tries so hard to be cool but no one cares.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:04 AM

12,445 posts, read 8,244,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
My brother likes the WWE and he would probably consider it a sport. But for me I say no. It not a sport because it so violent that you got wrestlers that jump on other wrestlers, hitting with ladders, chairs, etc. So therefore it is not a sport.
"Sport" donates to most a true athletic competition with the outcome in doubt. Not the violence level. The sport involved is the training to be able to pull off the stunts. The competition is one of charisma to be the chosen one getting the endorsements coming with being a star and the scripts for your narrative. So a Goldberg years after his retirement still bills himself as "undefeated" when who knows being told to take a loss probably figured into his retiring

Old 02-18-2016, 10:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,292,718 times
The one time I went to a wrestling event (at the Baltimore Civic Center), the announcer described it as "a performatory athletic event".

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,507,218 times
Sports Entertainment. Although, I DO respect those guys (and gals) and would never question some of their athletic abilities. And even though it is scripted, it is still a violent. Just ask some of those wrestlers who can barely walk nowadays.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,313,286 times
Not a sport. IMO sport is about strategy and not knowing what your opponent will do. Since WWE is scripted, it's simply entertainment.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:36 AM

12,334 posts, read 17,192,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Pro wrestling is not a sport because it 99.9% pre-scripted and has a pre-determined result. It is a soap opera in the form of athletic-oriented entertainment.

That doesn't mean the bumps and bruises many wrestlers suffer aren't 100% real though.
This is accurate. They are all certainly athletes, And it is a very tough game though not only due to injuries, but for those mid or main carders especially the life on the road takes it's toll. Numerous addiction problems from numbing the pain and partying. its hard on those with families as some of these athletes spend many long days back to back on the road. Many work injured also. Take a look at those who work a Sunday PPV in a match full of huge bumps and spots and then go on RAW the next day. For the WWE its also well known Vince is not easy to work with.

The sad number of premature deaths also speak volumes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports