Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,960 times

Advertisements

I bowled a 230 once. Just started a league last week for the first time in over 10 years. For a 3 game series I threw a 161, 167, and 202 for the series. My goal in this league is to throw a 600 or greater series. Never done that before.

I finally bought a ball after bowling casually for 10 years without one. I can already tell that I need second ball and a third spare ball. I just use a house ball as a spare ball, since luckily I don't split too often when I have the oil pattern down with my release.

Last edited by weezerfan84; 01-13-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Have had somewhere around 15ish 300(s) since the early 90s, but most happy about the (2) 800 series I have bowled. Would like to put it all on skill, but with today's bowing balls and league laid out lane conditions.....it's not really that much of an achievement. Just get on it a lil bit and send it right nowadays. It used to be a challenge back in the ol plastic/urethane days. Granted, on the PBA tour it is absolutely a challenge though, they do not have the pitch it right and watch her come back kinda shot out there.

I love watching PBA on Sundays on ESPN. It's the one dream I have that's still actually attainable of I was to ever bowl enough to get consistent enough to compete. It's muscle memory, but PBA is a totally different animal. Most alleys have a pretty forgiving house shot oil pattern, but PBA rotates 7-9 different oil patterns, where one lane is a short pattern and the other lane is a long pattern. Can make for a VERY long day if you're having trouble finding the pocket and you can never get comfortable in your approach.

I can pretty consistently throw 170+ games, which is good for me. The best thing that I learned is to only practice on aiming for the pocket every time. Don't worry about striking or anything like that. Just alter your game to where your ball reacts similarly each time. That way you can keep yourself from splits, and tend to only leave hanging 7s and 10s, if you don't mark all together.

I did my first league in 10 years last week and it was the first time I bowled a 3 game series with no splits. It was the only time in my life I had the most consistent games too. Each game I bowled better than the last, when usually I start out strong and then fade due to fatigue. What I've found is in league bowling I have a lot more time to relax, which actually does me a lot of good to focus on just hitting the pocket. I'm not a high rev bowler either, so I have to focus more on hitting the pocket, since I don't get a lot of messenger pins in my game.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
I bowled a 218 once at a drunk bowling party. Other than that, I have a hard time cracking 200.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
249 - I was 14 years old, and males had to bowl 250 to win a high game trophy/patch.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,627,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
249 - I was 14 years old, and males had to bowl 250 to win a high game trophy/patch.
I was also around 14 when I bowled my high game and it was about the same as yours. I remember I got a coupon on the back of a bottle of dish soap that was good for one free game at any participating bowling alley and I couldn't get anyone to go with me so I scrounged up some change for the shoe rental and ran down the street to the bowling alley. All the lanes were empty at that time of day so I was able to pick my favorite and also found the perfect ball that fit my fingers. I had a good feeling about the day because everything was going perfect for me. I had hit 7 strikes in a row, it seemed like I couldn't miss. I began to think 300 game and wondered if anyone would believe me if I bowled one. I looked back to see if any spectators were watching but the only other people in the bowling alley was the guy behind the refreshment counter changing the prices on the hotdog sign and the lady I gave my shoe money to who was busy spraying shoes to kill foot odor. I was tempted to yell, "Hey lady..look at me, look what I'm doing down here." I made my mind up just to bowl and not to worry whether anyone witnesses my perfect game. I must have lost my concentration because I then committed the cardinal sin of bowlers, I threw a gutter ball after a strike. The feeling I had when I started was gone, suddenly it felt like I had never bowled before. I ended the game miserably and it was a long time before I bowled another 200 game. I told people about my score but they didn't believe me.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:54 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Years ago when I bowled in a league, with a 174 average, I managed to bowl a 254 and a 274.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
265. I was on a roll....

Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Candlepin - since the thread didn't mention what type of bowling, this is the bowling I did growing up as a kid. I remember my high score well - 184. In Candlepin 200 is one of those magic scores. In this one game the pins were falling great. I know I nailed a 7/10 split for a spare in this one. I know I hit 5 strikes in a row in this one. At my best, I averaged 132.

Duckpin - tried it once with my Grandfather in Fl a long time ago. I do remember not breaking 100.

I've never had a chance to bowl candlepins. The only time I've seen a candlepin alley was when my wife and I were on vacation in coastal Maine and one of the towns we stayed in had one. Unfortunately, it was closed for the season.

Duckpins are what I'm most familiar with. I think my high game is about 110. I didn't know that they had duckpins in Florida.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
gosh I used to love bowling.. I was never that good but did hit 200 a few times with a high of 220... I don't bowl anymore but do take the kids occasionally. They love it as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports