Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Who should be credited (or blamed) for making professional wrestling what it is today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who should be credited (or blamed) for making professional wrestling what it is today?
Hey, Schmo, my first crazy thought was Gorgeous George (Ha!), but then I decided to use my little friend, Google, and got this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling

Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Many of the early television broadcasts were wrestling matches. Since wrestling takes place on a small "stage", it was easy and inexpensive to telecast. So, in a sense, TV and pro wrestling grew up together.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
There isn't any one guy. There are plenty of guys that deserve credit:

Lou Thesz
Gorgeous George
Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair

Those are 4 names that would be involved in any discussion of the guys that influenced pro wrestling as you know it today.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Credit also has to be given to Mcmahon sr and jr for unifying many small wrestling federations into the WWE.Actual wrestlers? too many to list.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:03 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Hey, Schmo, my first crazy thought was Gorgeous George (Ha!), but then I decided to use my little friend, Google, and got this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling
Gorgeous George is a solid choice along with Vern Gagne and Bruno Sammartino.

Those 3 I think pretty much got pro wrestling the notoriety it needed to where it really took off with the likes of Hulk Hogan and The Rock.

Incidentally, Vern Gagne died this year at 89. While in the nursing home and battling dementia from all the concussions he had through his life, he actually grabbed another resident and body slammed him. The other resident was sent to the hospital where he later died. Because Gagne was advanced enough in his dementia it was ruled that he didn't really know what he was doing and wasn't charge.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Vince MacMahon sure has to get huge credit... especially from an entertainment side of things.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Looking at the Wikipedia article, I was surprised to learn that pro wrestling has its roots in the 1800s, maybe earlier. It was often a sideshow attraction at carnivals.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:51 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Looking at the Wikipedia article, I was surprised to learn that pro wrestling has its roots in the 1800s, maybe earlier. It was often a sideshow attraction at carnivals.
With the popularity of MMA, pro wrestling is starting to slide back to the sideshow category.

I once saw Andre' the Giant wrestle in the tiny town of Sleepy Eye, Minnesota in approx. 1981 or 1982. I was in the area for business and got a room at the local motel. I noticed a poster advertising pro wrestling at the high school gym. Found a seat on an aisle of the main floor and had a ball watching the preliminary bouts. Andre' was the main event (duh) against an Englishman I believe was named Billy Robinson. Waiting for the wrestlers to walk in the ring I heard the entire crowd gasp. In walked Andre' right by my chair sporting the afro he used to wear. He looked 8' tall and had the biggest rear end I'd ever seen.

I've seen some imposing people over my 60 years, but no one tops seeing Andre' up close.

Last edited by jmgg; 08-03-2015 at 04:18 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 04:27 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
With the popularity of MMA, pro wrestling is starting to slide back to the sideshow category.

I once saw Andre' the Giant wrestle in the tiny town of Sleepy Eye, Minnesota in approx. 1981 or 1982. I was in the area for business and got a room at the local motel. I noticed a poster advertising pro wrestling at the high school gym. Found a seat on an aisle of the main floor and had a ball watching the preliminary bouts. Andre' was the main event (duh) against an Englishman I believe was named Billy Robinson. Waiting for the wrestlers to walk in the ring I heard the entire crowd gasp. In walked Andre' right by my chair sporting the afro he used to wear. He looked 8' tall and had the biggest rear end I'd ever seen.

I've seen some imposing people over my 60 years, but no one tops seeing Andre' up close.
Yep. André was pretty imposing in the Princess Bride movie as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports